PDA

View Full Version : High end or Low end

bonddude
01-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I have the options of buying a Exmark Turf Tracer for $1500 it has a 22hp engine. It is 48''. Not sure of hours but will check. I also have the option of buying a Red Hawk 36'' for about $800. The Red Hawk is a belt drive. My Question to you guys is what route would you take? I might also have the chance to buy a Red Hawk and a Plugr wb aerator for maybe $1200. What route would you take if you were starting a small lawn care business?

bonddude
01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I made a mistake in the above post. The Turf Tracer is actually a 52''. Sorry if there was any confusion.

TurfControl
01-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I think you need to go with whatever is in your budget. Some guys start up with $50,000. Other guys start a business with a few hundred dollars. So I would say it's hard for anybody to answer that question except you.

Don't buy something you can't afford. Good Luck

bonddude
01-06-2008, 04:15 PM
The turf tracer has 500 on the new engine and about 1700 total on the mower. I can afford both just wondering what you guys thought would be a better start up mower.

Premo Services
01-07-2008, 08:30 AM
The turf tracer has 500 on the new engine and about 1700 total on the mower. I can afford both just wondering what you guys thought would be a better start up mower.

If you are just starting out, mabey the 36 would be better mower. You could bid gated lawns and be able to get the mower in the gates.

Now you could get a 21 inch mower and go with the 52 inch mower and do the gated yards with the 21 inch. And the larger lawns with the 52 inch.

Grits
01-07-2008, 10:35 AM
The Exmark. I have a 32" Redhawk that I use for gated backyards. I wouldn't want to have a Redhawk as my main mower.

gandk06
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
When purchasing used equipment I like to look at in terms of how long will it last and how much can I resell it for when I am done with it or no longer need it.
Also, for just starting out bigger is not always better. Chances are you will not be starting out with large props. If you are going with residentals to start out a 36" works out well (at least it has for me.)

Grits
01-07-2008, 11:50 AM
When purchasing used equipment I like to look at in terms of how long will it last and how much can I resell it for when I am done with it or no longer need it.
Also, for just starting out bigger is not always better. Chances are you will not be starting out with large props. If you are going with residentals to start out a 36" works out well (at least it has for me.)

Very true. However, a 36" other than Redhawk. I am speaking from experience. (See post #6).

gandk06
01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Grits,

If that is true about the Redhawks, then I would not go with either mower. Exmark being to big and old and I guess you are saying the quality of the Redhawk is not good. I would keep looking then.

bonddude
01-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Alright thanks for leading me in the right direction. Any clue to where I can find a nice 36'' or 42'' or even 32''. I really want a hydro just from experience with my dad's.

gandk06
01-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Look on Craigslist.com

bonddude
01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Thats where I found the majority of the items. I don't like the condition of many of them. I think that image is very important in this business. I could see someone with a clean nicer mower getting a job over a person with a older mower that is rusted a little. Don't know if this is true because the customers could have some remorse or something like that but just what I see. I liked the condition of the Exmark. Espessialy for the high hours (1500). But I will probably end up getting the Red Hawk. I will upgrade after this year. But so far I only have 3 lawns I mow. Plan on handing out some flyers in a month or so.