PDA

View Full Version : How did you learn the lighting business?

colawn
01-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I am interested in adding on lighting to my business but know very little about it. How did you learn? What books do you recommend? etc. I want to know what I am doing before I get into anything but don't know where to start...:usflag:

pete scalia
01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
You can start by going to the aolp conference. It's going to be a bang up of a time. Fun to be had by all.

klkanders
01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Atta boy Pete! I didn't know you were a silent member of the AOLP membership committee. Oops did I let the cat outa the bag? Sorry man! :)

Mark B
01-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I trolled the forums for 6 months. Read all the post by the top posters and took notes. Looked at pictures of there work.

Lite4
01-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Read Nate Mullins book. The landscape lighting manual. This is a good place to start.

Pro-Scapes
01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I would start by asking myself questions

1 Do you enjoy digging ditches ?
2 do you enjoy working into the night several days a week?
3 do you enjoy being called by an irrate client if the lights happen to not come on before a big party because a manufacture has a tech issue with the trans ?
4. Do you have the time and willingness to learn a new craft?

If you answered NO to any of these then lighting may not be for you. Im not trying to scare you off but you need to consider how demanding it is both physically and often times mentally.

If your still interested I would start with the book recomended above and read about the first 20 pages in this forum and go from there. Then I would attend a few seminars if possible.

If your not interested I would seek a local firm that does quality lighting and sub contract to them via a referal program and still make a piece of the job.

colawn
01-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the responses. Where do I find the book by Mullins? I googled and did an amazon search with no results... I do holiday lights now so I know all about the customers crying when lights don't work for whatever reason. W also install a lot of our lights at night too get more up and it is easier to do when you can see what you are doing in trees!

NightScenes
01-07-2008, 08:44 AM
You couldn't find Nates book on Amazon? Try www.uniquelighting.com .

JoeyD
01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Bookpage.html
for the book

Go to the Unique Sponsor Forum here on Lawnsite to read reviews on this book.

Call me if you want to get set up with training. Most lighting guys get intot he buisness by first being trained byu a manufacturer. I feel our training is the best available, you will learn the facts and we will teach you hands on the ins and outs of a system.

colawn
01-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the help. I will get the book. How does the training work? You just have a dealer that will help us or some sort of classes we take. Will try to talk with you a little later. We are in the middle of a snow storm right now so I have to go get everything ready.
http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Bookpage.html
for the book

Go to the Unique Sponsor Forum here on Lawnsite to read reviews on this book.

Call me if you want to get set up with training. Most lighting guys get intot he buisness by first being trained byu a manufacturer. I feel our training is the best available, you will learn the facts and we will teach you hands on the ins and outs of a system.