PDA

View Full Version : Cruising (Boating) - Not Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Do any of you eastern seaboard types know about the Intercoastal Waterway - specifically how it joins up with the Hudson River leading up to Albany NY? I have been searching online (google, earth google, etc) for charts and information and find very little about the ICW in NY and NJ area.

I have the canals leading from Lake Ontario to Albany figured out, and the River from Albany to NYC seems pretty clear, but after that I get lost. I am surprised at how little info I can find online.

This is all part of some ongoing research into a trip from Georgian Bay all the way down to Miami that I would like to do sometime in the next couple of years.

Thanks.

Lite4
01-07-2008, 12:39 AM
James, that sounds like a blast. I told my wife I want to sail the San Juan islands in northern Washington for about a week in the summer. Fishing off the boat and eating fresh crab and salmon every day. Ahhh, a guy could get used to that.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-07-2008, 12:54 AM
I know what you mean Tim. I have always been a boating fan. I used to race yachts (R-Class) on Lake Ontario, and I have always loved being on the water, even if it was just in a canoe, kayak, dinghy, or a tin can with a 9.9 on the back.

I have 5 boats now (sort of ashamed to say) and just last year bought a Doral Prestancia Cruiser for as my mid-life 'toy'. I hope to do a 2 week circumnavigation of Ontario's waterways this coming summer. The trip to Miami down the ICW would be more then a little interesting.

Enjoy.

Mike M
01-07-2008, 05:26 AM
James, call a major chain like West Marine for info, and get the charts.

If you do it, you'll have to "tie-up" with us for dinner in Beaufort, SC.

Mike M
01-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Individual paper NOAA Charts can be ordered direct from the agency; call 800-638-8972. Some map dealers in the region may stock these.

James, you're spelling incorrectly. Just google intracoastal waterway (the ICW).

http://members.aol.com/americacruising/aiww-south.html

Pro-Scapes
01-07-2008, 07:57 AM
I bought electronic maps from www.navionics.com then you can buy navplanner and use them on your pc.

I have the gold chip for the gulf of mexico. They come on SD cards. The platnum maps are STUNNING 3d if you got a really nice plotter but you would need 3-4 chips for your miami trip I think.

the SD card slides right into my color plotter and replaces the included not so detailed maps.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks Guys. I will look into the charts on SD card as I have a Garmin 2006C Chartplotter on the cruiser. I was hoping to find some online resources in the mean time to do some advance planning, but it would appear nobody is giving away anything for free these days.

Thanks for the spelling tip Mike!

ChampionLS
01-07-2008, 02:37 PM
James, you could come down the Hudson River, make a pit stop by NYC, see the statue of liberty and then, before heading out to the ocean, make a quick detour and wind up in my back yard. I'm right off the Raritan River.

Heres more of what I'm into. Off Shore Power Boat Racing.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Very nice Anthony. Is that your baby?

I got all of my speed thrills out of my system through my 20's when I rode & raced a Yamaha FJ1200 for a dozen years or so. I have been on a few boats at 95+ mph with a client and a freind (both had big Fountains) and it just sorta freaked me out! I bought the Prestancia in order to 'get away from it all' with my family. Sort of our cottage on the water.

As for the trip down the ICW... it will take some planning, and it is a ways off, but I will keep all possibilities open.

Looks like I am going to buy the Fugawi Marine ENC software, a GPS CF drive, and some navionics charts. Then I can play around with all sorts of routes and upload them to my Garmin chartplotter on board. The Garmin "Blue Chart" system is just too compartmentalized for use on a big trip like that.

Thanks.

Pro-Scapes
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
is that a 27 fever anthony ? We used to have a 38 lightning that would make you wet your pants litterally with twin 525cid staggered big blocks in it in it. If I recall we could do about 90gph at around 97 mph yes guys... thats 90gallons per hour.

What you got in that thing anthony ?

My current boat is only 20ft but a pretty nice ride. Im not my parents and cant afford 300 an hour for fuel.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
90 Gallons per hour!?!?! That is insane!

I used about that much fuel on a 4 day trip around the 30,000 islands of Georgian Bay this past Labour Day. Now my boat only has twin 4.3L Merc LX's producing about 220HP each, cruises nicely at 3100rpm at around 22mph.... but still!

Chris J
01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Here's my last toy I bought for my boys. Lots of fun, but not very practical. Got rid of it this fall. Probably getting a 38-40' SeaRay (or similar) for this year's fun in the sun.

Pro-Scapes
01-08-2008, 12:08 AM
that had to be a kick in the pants too Chris. Years ago I had a V drive with a 455 olds in it putting out somewhere around 550hp. If I took my foot off the hotfoot pedal people would slide up under the dash literally.

We clocked that boat at 115mph before it got out of range of the gun. Here is a pic of another childhood memory. I made it from san fran to sacramento in this boat in about 45 min. Average speed was in excess of 100 and topped at 135. Twin turbine 38ft skater cat piloted by good family friend mr howard arneson. Sorry for the crappy pics they are probably 20 years old and taken in 3 river reach in the cali delta

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I must be getting old! My idea of a great day out on the water is to be cruising along at a slow putt putt, with lots of ice in the bar fridge (for the gingerale of course!), the tunes playing softly and some lovely bikini clad "deck fluff" up on the sunpad ahead of me. :)

Then of course there is the lovely and palatial aft cabin for when the sun sets! (lots of mirrors in the prestancia... go figure, its made in Quebec!)

Pro-Scapes
01-08-2008, 12:20 AM
been there done that. we had a 57 tollycraft for a putt putt cruiser.... sometimes you just want some bug in the teeth fun and a bit of windburn

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
been there done that. we had a 57 tollycraft for a putt putt cruiser.... sometimes you just want some bug in the teeth fun and a bit of windburn

That is what Motorcycles and open cockpit aircraft are for Billy! I will take the aft cabin burn over the windburn anyday!

ChampionLS
01-08-2008, 12:46 AM
is that a 27 fever anthony ? We used to have a 38 lightning that would make you wet your pants litterally with twin 525cid staggered big blocks in it in it. If I recall we could do about 90gph at around 97 mph yes guys... thats 90gallons per hour.

What you got in that thing anthony ?

My current boat is only 20ft but a pretty nice ride. Im not my parents and cant afford 300 an hour for fuel.

Your almost right on the money there. I **wish** that was mine. It's my partners brothers boat in NY. He does race it. You need goggles if you intend to look ahead :drinkup:

Heres the engines!. I remember him saying 7 gallons a minute! at WOT.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-08-2008, 01:01 AM
When the fuel supply lines are 1" dia, you have to wonder! It is a thing of beauty though. Nice Boat.

Lite4
01-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Anthony, very nice. I like the hobbs timer on the side of the engine compartment. It isn't a matter of if you will have to tear that engine down and rebuild it, but when. Tick Tock. I am with you James, when I am on the water I like a slower pace. When I do need some excitement I climb into one of these for a couple hours and head to the canyons. Hopefully I can make enough $ in lighting to buy one of these babies some day instead of renting all the time. At 475.00 per hour, she adds up quick.

Pro-Scapes
01-08-2008, 11:36 AM
no way is he doing 420 gallons per hour in that thing anthony. Its just not happening. I would have to see the flowscan meters to even come close to beiliving that..both engines... 90gph wot. If he is dumping 420 an hour he is either spinning thoes big blocks at 30k rpm or dumping fuel out the exhaust at an alarming rate.

ChampionLS
01-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Thats cool Billy that your into the big boats also. Oh man! talk about an Adrenaline Rush! I believe they are twin 502's The blowers seem bigger than whats in the photo you posted. Also, he races his boat so it might top out at a higher RPM, thus using more fuel. I'll find out more next time I'm up there.

Tim.. Cool pics!
I have some flying experience too. A classmate of mine (from High school days) father used to build planes in his garage!. He was a dentist too. Since I live near the Raritan River, he built a float plane, a Breezy, a Bi-plane, and owned a Cessna 150 and a 180! OMG that was such a great time of my life. Hers some scanned pics from back in the day..

Lite4
01-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Anthony, those are fantastic. Talk about your open cockpit. I need to get my fixed wing license. Helicopters are a blast to fly, but sometimes you want to go faster than 140 knots.

extlights
01-09-2008, 12:35 AM
I used to be big into boats also, but got out of it because it was too expensive to run it for a weekend. The fuel tank was over 200g. The 525's just sucked the fuel down....with the gas prices the way they are...I felt like I had to save money just to take the darn thing out for a day. Not to mention you pay a premium for dockside fill-ups. Maybe someday I'll get a smaller "pleasure craft"...until then it's all about the cars for me.

Pro-Scapes
01-09-2008, 07:25 AM
i hear ya dave.... bad enough to choke down the 150 buck fill ups of my boat now. Least if I go easy I can run 2-3 fishing trips on that

irrig8r
01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Thats cool Billy that your into the big boats also. Oh man! talk about an Adrenaline Rush! I believe they are twin 502's The blowers seem bigger than whats in the photo you posted. Also, he races his boat so it might top out at a higher RPM, thus using more fuel. I'll find out more next time I'm up there.

Tim.. Cool pics!
I have some flying experience too. A classmate of mine (from High school days) father used to build planes in his garage!. He was a dentist too. Since I live near the Raritan River, he built a float plane, a Breezy, a Bi-plane, and owned a Cessna 150 and a 180! OMG that was such a great time of my life. Hers some scanned pics from back in the day..

Nice photos. The Breezy is a cool design. Unfortunately a customer of mine crashed his about 15 years ago and died. The way I heard it Ken was a former aircraft mechanic who worked his way up to pilot at one of the major airlines many years ago. He built 3 different planes in his shop at home.

Ken's widow is a good customer still. And there are photos hanging on the wall of him flying in his plane and a wooden prop mounted over the front entry.

My own flying experiences are limited: mostly glider flights when I was in my early teens and you could get a half hour ride over the Napa Valley for under $20, but my ex-father-in-law was an avid pilot... he had a Navion last, but my most memorable rides were in his Bell copter with the bubble cockpit...

He had a ranch of about 1,000 acres along the shore in far northern California and I rode along a couple of times to check the fences, see where the cattle were hanging out, look for abalone poachers, etc.

ChampionLS
01-10-2008, 02:06 AM
These pictures are OLD. I was 13 then. My friends dad built both of those in his garage in his spare time. The seaplane was my first ride. We brought the plane down to a public park by my house and assembled it in the parking lot!. The wings were brought down in several trips on the roof of a station wagon. He did one test flight...(the pic shown here with me taking it on the dock) landed and picked us up. I'm still amazed.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-10-2008, 08:16 AM
:hammerhead: I thought this was a Boating Thread! :hammerhead:

You flyboys go and get your own thread, :walking: this one is taken.

Sorry guys but it has been so serene and peaceful around here lately, I just had to try and stir things up a bit.

irrig8r
01-10-2008, 11:36 AM
:hammerhead: I thought this was a Boating Thread! :hammerhead:

You flyboys go and get your own thread, :walking: this one is taken.

Sorry guys but it has been so serene and peaceful around here lately, I just had to try and stir things up a bit.

This thread was officially HIJACKED.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/DBCooper.jpg

Pro-Scapes
01-10-2008, 11:53 AM
9 out of 10 threads on here get sidetracked.... hijacked....off topic....turn into a fight or otherwise have nothing to do with the topic.

Lite4
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Negative on the Hijacking of the thread guys. The thread is titled "Cruising (boating)" I 'cruise' along nicely at 1,500 ft. and 85 knots. Your medium is water, mine is air. Just having some fun with you ya know.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Joey, lets move the Toy Talk over to this thread for Billy's benefit and sanity.

Regards.

JoeyD
01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
LOL....OK I should have read this before I continued this off topic discussion.......

I really think you should come to dinner with us on Wed. night James, it will be real low key. I know you like to get settled in but come on a mans got to eat!! LOL

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Joey, I dont get a lot of time away from the biz, family, service clubs, etc. so I was sort of looking forward to some down time. Afternoon in the Hot Tub, a Massage at a Spa (from a Registered Massage Therapist, so don't even bother going there!) and then out for dinner at the best Steak house in town. I will save the 'group therapy' for the following three days and nights.

Thanks for the invite though.

ChampionLS
01-21-2008, 11:50 PM
A ONE YEARS supply of MR-16 lamps to the first person who can identify this Terrorist. :rolleyes: :drinkup:

Pro-Scapes
01-22-2008, 12:18 AM
thats me... wheres my lamps... i should use quite a few this year... cough em up amigo and what are you doing stalking my wifes myspace page ?

ChampionLS
01-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Come to the MAHTS show in A/C NJ on Feb. 20-22. We'll load ya up. You may even get a free TEE shirt. We'll introduce you to the CAST crew.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Hmmm, I wonder what a trip from S. Mississippi to NJ would cost? Driving time, mileage, meals, hotel, round trip.... Then again he did say a year's supply of lamps! That's worth into the 5 digits around here. Maybe you should make the trip Billy. Just make sure those are GE MR16s before you jump! :)

Regards

Dreams To Designs
01-22-2008, 09:38 AM
C'mon up Billy, I'll even provide you & the best half a place to stay. We can go and harass all the lighting representatives that will be hawking their wares at the EP Henry paver show.

Kirk

Pro-Scapes
01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
very tempting. We are due in florida the weekend after tho. Will attend light a palooza and visit family.

Still might be a possibility tho! If not... Anthony I authorize my good friend Kirk to act as my agent and obtain and secure my lamps. If you wish you could instead send me a plane ticket and provide myself and Kirk a memorable meal

ChampionLS
01-23-2008, 01:56 AM
C'mon up dammit. It's not like there's any snow here. MAHTS is fun. People come out of the wood work when they know who you are.

Pro-Scapes
01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
only if your lamps are quality and your offer is valid. I think we should do some fishing too offshore

NiteTymeIlluminations
01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
did someone mention boat???

NiteTymeIlluminations
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
oh yeah...I'm ready...spring is coming

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Grrr, mine is snowed in right now...4 months and counting!

Chris J
01-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey Doug, haven't seen you in a while! You must be trying to tick me off as you know I grew up on the water and I miss it a great deal. Maybe one day I'll drop the 40 pounds I've added in the last couple of years and get back to having some fun!
Why is it that it's sooo easy to gain weight, yet it's sooooooo hard to get rid of it? Ha. I'm asking this to a guy that's fit as a slim jim! OK, I already know your answer: Diet and excercise. Too late, I'm too fat to jog; my stomach would beat me to death!

NiteTymeIlluminations
01-30-2008, 01:24 PM
you're cracking me up chris. I'm going to miss you guys in St. Thomas. Have a good time. I'm off to JA for 10 days starting the 1st. But i'll be working by butt off while youguys are drinking coronas in the pool!!! boo hoo!