PDA

View Full Version : Who is right?...Dixie Chopper or Hustler

Esby
10-21-2001, 01:12 PM
I was just curious if Dixie Chopper is still "The Worlds Fastest Lawn Mower" as they advertise. With all this talk about new Hustler's and their 15mph ground speeds, that seems to beat out the 13mph of the Dixie. It seems like Dixie Chopper is putting out some false advertising here!

cos
10-21-2001, 01:19 PM
I seen hustler claims also. Uhhhhh ohhhhhhhh. Hey Eric, did you here this? LOL

Lawnworks
10-21-2001, 01:24 PM
Hustler has not put a jet on engine on there mower......yet. Doesn't the City Slicker or that turbo diesel Chopper go faster than 13mph?

Rick

mdb landscaping
10-21-2001, 02:19 PM
did somebody say a duel? i think esby is calling you out eric.

yardboyltd
10-21-2001, 03:12 PM
until DC puts their jet engine choppers into full production, I still judge them by standard production models. Same way with any other mower. There are mowers faster than the Jet DC for mower drag racing.

Really a comparison of DC and Hustler would be nice. Cut, speed reliability, acres per hour, stability, power, cost of operating... then techinical and customer support

Lawnworks
10-21-2001, 03:57 PM
BUT the jet chopper has a deck(stainless steel I think) and can cut grass I believe. It is not meant for drag racing- it can cut grass( I think).

olddog
10-21-2001, 05:10 PM
Is that mph or acres/h???

LoneStarLawn
10-21-2001, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by olddog
Is that mph or acres/h???

They are discussing mph...(it was posted)

weve
10-21-2001, 06:23 PM
I haven't checked the speed of my 2000 DC flatlander diesel XFD2600-60, but I know that it's faster than my previous 1998 Flatlander with the Kohler 25 H.P. that was rated at 13 MPH.

Randy Scott
10-21-2001, 06:27 PM
I've yet to find hardly any properties that I can cut wide open throttle on my lazer. If it isn't the rough terrain it's the fact it grows an inch a day. Travel time from my trailer to the lawns are limited so a 15mph mower doesn't impress me. Sell me quality and features, then we have something.

mdb landscaping
10-21-2001, 07:13 PM
well said randy. i totally agree. the only time im running full speed is from the trailer to the yard.

Flex-Deck
10-21-2001, 07:40 PM
Yes, Thank you Randy, I don't have one place or even one area in a yard that I mow that could handle those speeds due to rough terrain, and besides the grass does grow too fast to allow those speeds to be useful. It is usually only about 10 feet from my trailer to the grass so they don't even do me any good then.

John DiMartino
10-21-2001, 08:14 PM
When I demo'd the Hustler,it flat out smoked my 10 mph Dixie,I found myself mowing at 12-15 mph,just to see if it could go that fast,and still get a good cut.The hustler cut better at 15mph than my Dixie does at 10mph,hands down,no comparison IMO.The Dixie felt very slow after getting off the Super Z.

awm
10-21-2001, 08:37 PM
my back hurts jus thinking about mowin all day at those speeds.
some of my lawns make me stutter for a wk if i tried it.
a z is faster but there is probably a point that these multiple gang mowers an such come in to the picture. jmho

Likestomow
10-21-2001, 09:13 PM
I have a good friend here in town that modified his 72" Suburban Turbine. He was actually clocked by a policeman's radar gun at 18MPH.... and he mows with it every day.

PWM
10-22-2001, 04:03 PM
Really a comparison of DC and Hustler would be nice. Cut, speed reliability, acres per hour, stability, power, cost of operating... then techinical and customer support [/B][/QUOTE]

PWM
10-22-2001, 04:11 PM
We would provide a Hustler Super Z for a side by side comparison at any time by a neutral third party. Good suggestion "yardboyltd".

JLC
10-22-2001, 05:15 PM
Let me chime in. In the terms of comparison between DC and Hustler, the Hustler peoples' service is the winner hands down through my dealings with both companies. I looked at DC and made several attempts to contact them and never received a reply. Their local dealer knew nothing about the silver decks, fuel injection, etc. This would show the fact that they at very least don't communicate with my closest dealer either. I would assume that you all have read my posts about my great experience with the Hustler people. Suffice it to say I have 100% confidence in the machines I have purchased. I believe that my post about my experiences got lost when the Lawnsite server went down so if any wants further evidence, let me know.

I wont comment about the other aspects listed in relation to how they compare to DC because I have never actually run a DC (that is only fair), but I'm confident the Super Z would compare quite favorably in all catagories. I would love to see the results of an unbiased test and would be glad to voluteer as a judge/tester if there were strict criteria with which to rate the two machines on. Any test should be based on a measurable result and not opinion.

John DiMartino
10-22-2001, 07:39 PM
I second JLC's opinion,being the current owner of a 2000 Dixie,and trying to deal with the company on several occasions left me very unimpressed,the company doesnt return calls,there dealer so do know the product,or how to service,or prep them correctly.Attempts to contact them were always answered with ,well no one is on tech right now,leave your# and they will call you back,11 attempts,2 months later they call back,what a joke.I wrote PJ from Hustler,he ran down here from Syracuse so I could demo them,then proceeded to set up a dealer in my immediate area,and went to the best dealers in my area.I know where Im spending my hard earned dollar when my lease is up.After my Demo I I can say with confidence that Dixie is no longer the worlds fastest lawn mower,and the Hustler can cut better while going faster,a win win to me.The only advantage Dixie has over the hustler is weight,and filtration IMO.

Kent Lawns
10-22-2001, 08:36 PM
Speed...

It's like what is faster: a boat or a helicopter?

sheppard
10-22-2001, 09:13 PM
I tested both of these systems with in the last three weeks- the Hustler made my hair fly out farther and straighter than the Chopper. The engine on the Hustler was louder than the Chopper too!

Cordially,
Sheppard

P&J Lawncare
10-22-2001, 09:42 PM
I don't know about the dixie but I can tell that the hustler can flat out fly and it does'nt lose much speed when the blades are engaged and as for being tossed around it just does'nt happen because the suspension seat absorbs everything.

rodney
10-22-2001, 10:40 PM
just think.
hustler is going that fast with a 25 kawasaki.
what if it had same hp motors dixie has.
it would have the dupont , pepsi , and the number 24 decals on it.:D

mowerconsultant
10-22-2001, 11:53 PM
I would be more than happy to demo to any doubters out there.
As long as your within my travels.
I do not wish to start a brand war here, you demo it and you can be the judge of which is "FASTER" and which cuts better at the higher ground speeds.
The Hustler Super Z is one awesome cutting unit, even at higher ground speeds than the average Z rider.
E-mail me to set-up a demo.
hustler@twcny.rr.com

Later
Pj

Flex-Deck
10-25-2001, 12:36 AM
End of arguement - Drive a JD 455 AWS - Flex-Deck and you will never go back. Nobody challenged us at the BBQ. Thanks, Brad

Lawnworks
10-25-2001, 01:19 AM
Flex-Deck:
No offense or anything, but I would not be seen w/ a John Deere.

Nothing flies like a chopper!!!

Eric ELM
10-25-2001, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
End of arguement - Drive a JD 455 AWS - Flex-Deck and you will never go back. Nobody challenged us at the BBQ. Thanks, Brad

There wasn't any grass to mow there. I would of challenged you and I still will next summer when we have some grass to mow. I am talking a normal weeks growth. We would need to take at least 3" off and that grass wasn't even 2" long.

If you are in the Chicago area next summer with your JD's, let me know. :)

HOMER
10-25-2001, 03:00 AM
Sounds like he's a calling you out there flexxy! My moneys on the Chopper...........sorry.............might be a LITTLE biased.:D

Eric ELM
10-25-2001, 10:38 AM
Homer, I forgot to tell him I can cut as wide as he can. ;)

Flex-Deck
10-25-2001, 06:42 PM
You are so right Eric, Have you tried the Dixie Chopper Flex-Deck deal yet?

WREBELMACHINE
10-27-2001, 01:33 PM
I agree with eric I tested out a super z and yes it is fast, and yes it will outrun all of my dixie choppers but it will NOT out mow my dixie choppers. When you put the hustler in thick grass the engine pulls down where my d/c's just keep on trucking.

As far as dealer support my dealer knows the d/c inside and out he also knows just about every other mower on the market which gives me an advantage when it comes to purchasing equipment.

I would like to see a production mower race between all of the manufactures who would like to race factory production machines.
And what I mean is production built units not modified units like what was run at the expo!