PDA

View Full Version : Need help...looking for a new mower.

BlackHawk1
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Hello, new to the forum.*trucewhiteflag*

In the market of a new mower....looking at the kubota zd28, but I hear it's on the heavy side, so I need some advice on what would be my best option.

Most of the lawns I have are around a lake...wet, soft, and muddy..(don't want to get stuck)..lots of hills too....trees and shrubs. The most popular grass that I'm cutting is Centipede with the occasional Bermuda.

Please any suggestions or advice you might have for me I would really appreciate it...my biggest concern is getting stuck in the mud, and tackling them hills.

American_Lawn
01-08-2008, 12:05 AM
This year was my first year with a mower bigger than a 21. I have a toro 32z. I do not think that it matters on the mudd and getting stuck. I just tried to avoid the area if possible and hit it with a trimmer. If the lots were soaked, then I would see of I left ruts and if I did, no mow. For the times I did get stuck, I just flipped the hydro switch so the wheels would turn and pulled it. I am not sure how belt drives work. anyway, no matter how muddy the yard is, any mower can get stuck, it is just a matter of how many hands you have to pull it out and how bad you want to rut the area.

bohiaa
01-08-2008, 11:25 AM
some mowers are too heavy for certain areas,
I run Exmark and on some of my accounts it's way to heavy. Leaving rut lines over time.

of corse mowing in diffrent directions every other cut...

But I'm looking at the Toro line of products, in a homeowner type of mower.
it has it's pros and cons. But making a GREAT cut is the goal.

IMO Kobota is way over priced

C&K
01-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Hey Blackhawk. You've got to ask yourself some questions. How large are the properties? How many large properties do you have? Local dealer support? Do I have so much business that I can justify the cost difference in a ZTR? ZTR's are very nice, but a luxury nonetheless. You can do alot of work with, say, a 52" hydro WB with sulky and a couple of 21's. Buy good used stuff and you may not have $5,000.00 in a hydro WB, a 21, trimmer, edger, blower, and trailer. You can make a nice return on investment with just 5k tied up. Good luck!

humble1
01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
one word "bobcat"

2 clowns mowing
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
har5d to find anything that will go thru wet muddy areas. i would use a walk behind 48" or bigger hydro drive not gear drives

tinman
01-08-2008, 09:35 PM
A small walk behind for muddy soft areas (used mower if only used for this) and get a toro or scag ztr if you have big open areas. I like dixie chopper but they are not best on hills.