PDA

View Full Version : Electric Brakes

Mini man
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
I am doing the brakes on my dump trailer ( 6X10 ) I need to know how do I set the brakes up properly once I install all the new components?
Also....how much pre load do you put on the castle nut that holds the hub on?
Thanks in advance
oh yea... the brakes are electric...

SiteSolutions
01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm planning to add a set of brakes to mine soon, too. Right now it's just one axle with and one without.

As far as adjusting the brakes, put the wheels on and spin them by hand. Adjust the brakes tighter and tighter until the wheels are hard to turn by hand. Then back off one or two clicks.

The castle nut, I am not an expert and look forward to seeing what is posted by others. My guess is snug but not "torqued", like hand-tight and then twist it a little more until the cotter pin drops in the hole. That my GUESS.

GravelyNut
01-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm planning to add a set of brakes to mine soon, too. Right now it's just one axle with and one without.

As far as adjusting the brakes, put the wheels on and spin them by hand. Adjust the brakes tighter and tighter until the wheels are hard to turn by hand. Then back off one or two clicks.

The castle nut, I am not an expert and look forward to seeing what is posted by others. My guess is snug but not "torqued", like hand-tight and then twist it a little more until the cotter pin drops in the hole. That my GUESS.

http://www.campertrailers.org/servicing_wheel_bearings.htm gives you the way I do them. Take it easy the first 50 or so miles to make sure they are set, then use as normal. Did a set back in April of last year just before a 1200 mile haul. They were warm the first 50 miles while they seated. Then hauled the rest of the trip at 60+ MPH without problems. And spanner = wrench in the article.

mini14
01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
trailer brakes are cheap, truck brakes arent, i set my brake controller very high so i dont wear out my trucks brakes.....still have 1/2 shoe life left on my original set, now at 64,000 miles. im going on my 3rd set of trailer brakes though.