PDA

View Full Version : Photo shoot

The Lighting Geek
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey everyone!
I have been away from the forum for a while but I should be around a little more. I just finished a photo shoot for an upcomming campagn. I thought some of you might want to us in all our glory..LOL

Pro-Scapes
01-07-2008, 03:25 PM
ha thats great Tommy. Talk about brand recognition! Definatly leave the client with a clear image on who did their lighting.

Lite4
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Thats awesome, you guys look like the Ghostbusters. Get yourself an old ambulance and some nuclear powerpacks, just don't cross the streams whatever you do!
Seriously Tommy, I like it. Very cool bro.

Chris J
01-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Tommy,
Although I think your gimmick is cool as hell, what do you plan to put this photo on? My advertisments show lighted homes. I'm real curious to know what you have planned for this picture. Please, Please, Please keep us up to date as to the performance of the picture. Somehow, however, I think your'e going to tell us it was great even if it is a flop. We all have egos to protect, and by the look of your accessories, I think you are trying to portray some kind of an "image"? What image would that be?

The Lighting Geek
01-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Tommy,
Although I think your gimmick is cool as hell, what do you plan to put this photo on? My advertisements show lighted homes. I'm real curious to know what you have planned for this picture. Please, Please, Please keep us up to date as to the performance of the picture. Somehow, however, I think you're going to tell us it was great even if it is a flop. We all have egos to protect, and by the look of your accessories, I think you are trying to portray some kind of an "image"? What image would that be?

Chris, you have some good points. One needs to be careful not deviate from the core message: landscape lighting. I am inserting some of these pictures into ads but only as an accent, or where we are in front of a job, thereby the lighting portrait is the most prominent item. I am using the picture below on the back doors of my trailer, the sides are going to be black background, with 3-5 large pictures surrounded by stars with fireflies streaking around. The image i want to portray is why I am different, high tech geek style. Because I am The Lighting Geek, I can get away with alot. :) The key here is nobody forgets who we are or what we do.

Eden Lights
01-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Excellent Idea and branding. I try to sell myself also not the equipment, with that being said I would have made sure not a par was in sight though, sorry.

Chris J
01-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Ha Ha. Sorry Tommy, but I have to agree with Eden. I love your photos, and I think you have an excellent thing going there. Keep On Doing It! But I also would not have shown the fixtures. Any competitor can now show your picture and shoot you down in a hundred different ways. My advice is to do a re-shoot without the well lights. If you were in my market, I would definitely use this against you. This is only my opinion though, so take no offense. I don't need another war with some dude with a flak jacket!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Tommy. The photo is good, the concept is unique (pardon the obvious pun) and I'm sure the whole "geek / ghostbusters" thing sticks in your client's mind for a long time, which is great. :clapping:

My only comment would be: How about displaying some modern era fixtures in that photo! My God man, those things are massive! All those par fixtures (I have never been a fan of Sewage Pipe with tractor lamps inside. :laugh:), those hubs and that insanely huge half cylinder fixture (seriously, that thing looks like my bathroom garbage can)... I mean really... what ever happened to see the effect NOT the source... and.... You do realize we are in the era of miniaturization right? Nanotechnology, smaller, better, faster... etc.

Just having at ya Tommy! :laugh:

pete scalia
01-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Ha Ha. Sorry Tommy, but I have to agree with Eden. I love your photos, and I think you have an excellent thing going there. Keep On Doing It! But I also would not have shown the fixtures. Any competitor can now show your picture and shoot you down in a hundred different ways. My advice is to do a re-shoot without the well lights. If you were in my market, I would definitely use this against you. This is typical of what untalented and insecure hacks do on a sales call. Instead of selling themselves to the prospect they knock down the competition to try and make themselves look good. Unfortunately prospects see right through sour grapes and do business with the company who is more professional and doesn't need to use anything against a competitor This is only my opinion though, so take no offense. I don't need another war with some dude with a flak jacket!

see above in red bold

ChampionLS
01-08-2008, 01:12 AM
I like the wire.. it looks like the old cotton wound military wiring found in surplus equipment

The Lighting Geek
01-08-2008, 01:20 AM
well you will just love our new commercial. tight shots of us zipping vest, snapping buckles, loading the vest up. Then panning shots of a bunch of our job photos, and then the three of us walking slow motion out of fog at night towards the camera. 'The Lighting Geek, everything else is just lighting..' or something like that..lol. Damn, I have way too much fun for my own good. We start filming Friday and will be aired on HGTV on local cable for the next 12 months Sat and Sun between 8am-8pm. I'll post it when it is finished.

I know what you guys are sayin bout the ol' well lights, but that shot is exactly how we look when we do our demos. Next photo shoot I'll switch to brass, casings that is! :)

Eden Lights
01-08-2008, 01:28 AM
see above in red bold

Sorry for the thread HiJack

Everybody is feeling good tonight! I always state my warranty information, product construction, and etc. I carry in a machined MR16 fixture for the client to see and hold. I dont discuss pars or brands unless the client asks or drops the bid or shopping vibe. I then discuss the two main types of landscape lights, Par's and MR's. I recommend that they only shop for MR designs and I give them factual information as to why. I THEN GIVE THE NAMES OF COMPANIES IN MY AREA THAT SHARE MY BELIEFS OF MR'S THAT WILL NOT SELL PAR'S and I recommend that they call them. I never say any other names. I have left alot out, but I have already posted too much info. I am still looking for a verified forum before I post like I once did. Thanks

Eden Lights
01-08-2008, 01:33 AM
well you will just love our new commercial. tight shots of us zipping vest, snapping buckles, loading the vest up. Then panning shots of a bunch of our job photos, and then the three of us walking slow motion out of fog at night towards the camera. 'The Lighting Geek, everything else is just lighting..' or something like that..lol. Damn, I have way too much fun for my own good. We start filming Friday and will be aired on HGTV on local cable for the next 12 months Sat and Sun between 8am-8pm. I'll post it when it is finished.

I know what you guys are sayin bout the ol' well lights, but that shot is exactly how we look when we do our demos. Next photo shoot I'll switch to brass, casings that is! :)

What model of fully shrouded fixture is that in your hand? Does unique have a fully shrouded uplight?

Lite4
01-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Tommy, I have no problem with the pars bud. I like the whole branding. I am looking forward to seeing the commercial. Hey on a side note are you gonna send me that disc?

Pro-Scapes
01-08-2008, 01:50 AM
crap i figured out who tommy looks like!!! did you guys ever see that obscure show robotica with the fighting radio controlled robots ? he looks like the host!!

I dont think clients will notice pars or wells. They will notice 3 guys who take thier given craft to the extrem. I like the whole show you guys put on. I bet clients get a real laugh out of it and it puts them in a GREAT mood which is what you want. Im sure we have all met with clients who have had a bad day and it affected the meeting.

The Lighting Geek
01-08-2008, 02:08 AM
First, Evening Star! I'm still laughing, nice observation. We just through the 12 guage around my son for heck of it.

The light in my hand is a Unique Pulsar.

I go out everyday and have fun and I make it fun for my clients. I don't have to talk about my competition. I just had a customer go to several parties/dinners over the holidays and had no less than 4 people gave unsolicited recommendations to use me when they heard my client was ready for lighting. all said, 'wait till you see what they wear to work' LOL

Eden Lights
01-08-2008, 02:24 AM
First, Evening Star! I'm still laughing, nice observation. We just through the 12 guage around my son for heck of it.

The light in my hand is a Unique Pulsar.

I go out everyday and have fun and I make it fun for my clients. I don't have to talk about my competition. I just had a customer go to several parties/dinners over the holidays and had no less than 4 people gave unsolicited recommendations to use me when they heard my client was ready for lighting. all said, 'wait till you see what they wear to work' LOL

Thanks, I have never seen that cap on a pulsar. Maybe it's just the picture, it looks like a comet with a lens.

JoeyD
01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
The Pulsar has the angle cut shroud on it. Not sure if you would consider it "fully shrouded".

Tommy, your the man! Eddie you are the Anti-Par! LOL

Demo Demo Demo!!!

Jeoy D.