PDA

View Full Version : Pic of my setup

Lawnworks
10-21-2001, 01:25 PM
This is my first time posting a pic so bare w/ me. I searched to find how to do this but to no avail. How do I put the actual pic on the post? I know somebody asked this before; I just cannot find it.

stslawncare
10-21-2001, 02:17 PM
hey got a close up of the trailer looks cool?

Lawnworks
10-21-2001, 02:52 PM
Here is a pic of my trailer w/ a sign that my dealer gave me. The trailer fits my Chopper perfect. It is a 5.5x9.5

1MajorTom
10-21-2001, 03:10 PM
Looks good.

Here's how you do this.

Right click on your picture. Go down to properties, click on that.

Then copy the URL address.

type img in these brackets [ ] then paste in the address, then type in the left bracket, then / then img, then the right bracket.

I can't actually type it in or it won't show up, that's why I had to explain it like that.

Here is the first one. Now you can practice with the second one.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=187585

Hope this helps.

Lawnworks
10-21-2001, 06:51 PM
Here goes nothin....

Thanks 1MajorTom

I edited this out because it was not working and making everyone's A drive run when this thread was clicked on.

LoneStarLawn
10-21-2001, 07:16 PM
Jodie forgot to stress that the pictures have to be hosted on the web.

Since your picture URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is located on the A: DRIVE....(file:///A:/Mvc-011s.jpg) Everyone's A drive will run when opening this thread.

Since you did load the pics up onto lawnsite you must use the location of the pic from lawnsite

<b>http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=187597</b> not <b>file:///A:/Mvc-011s.jpg</b>

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=187597

1MajorTom
10-21-2001, 07:17 PM
You got the img right with the brackets, but what's inside of the brackets is not right.

You have to get your picture loading on your screen. Then right click on it. You will see where it says properties. Click on that.
Then you will see where it says the URL address. You must copy that address and then paste it here inbetween the img.

I hope I have explained this better.

awm
10-21-2001, 07:25 PM
i like your outfit. compact but w everything u need.
i do things that way myself. lookin good.

rodney
10-21-2001, 10:22 PM
nice set up lawnworks
do you have enough tongue weight with the dixie headed on the trailor like that.

eskals
10-21-2001, 10:25 PM
Looks like you could use a bigger drop on the hitch with those tall tires.

Eric

rodney
10-21-2001, 10:37 PM
kinda looks unsafe .eric you got that right and you mite have saved someones life if he takes your advice.

kutnkru
10-21-2001, 11:28 PM
I like the look of your truck for a small pick-up (along the same lines as the zr2). I too would advise that you find a 4" drop hitch and take advantage of the leveling ability you will get.

I can appreciate your love for your machine, but I would have thought that you would have asked for the smaller signage so that you could have mounted it to the side of your mesh equipment box. Its nice to advertise your favorite mower until you cannot see your company name from the rear because you've hidden it -LOL!!!

I would also consider doing something with your plate too. Here in NYS they take a fine dislike for people who cannot hang their tags properly. :eek:

Outside of the change in positioning of the signage - nice looking outfit!!! :D

Kris

Grass_Slayer
10-21-2001, 11:35 PM
whenever i get my big flip up ramp like that built i want to get all my equip put on the back. gravely, cub cadet, kawasaki, opti-1, texaco, and of course lawnsite.com

casey
10-22-2001, 12:50 AM
Wondering why a guy from Georgia is wearing a TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS JERSEY? Posted this by accident in another thread but want to confirm a Leaf fan sighting in Georgia.

Lawnworks
10-22-2001, 07:37 AM
I know my company sign is hardly visible, but I used to have just as big as the Dixie sign but it is somewhere on I-75!! Those signs really do not work. I think I have got 2-3 calls in 2 years. And then those customers were just headaches. But anyway, people know who cuts the lawn b/c when my ramp is down and I am mowing the LawnWorks sign is visible. What do yall mean that my trailer is dangerous b/c it is not level? It does not really have alot of tongue weight, but I do not want to put anymore stress on my tranny than I have to. I used to park the Chopper on there backwards, but it does not act up even on the highway the way it is now. Oh and that it is not a Maple Leafs shirt; we have a minor league team w/ that logo called the Macon Whoopee.

Thanks for yalls comments

MOW ED
10-22-2001, 09:21 AM
Nice set-up and your truck looks like it can take some high water but you are stressing the crap out of your trailer and you possibly could lose it by having it pop off the ball if you hit some major bumps or have to swerve fast.
When you pull a load in-line (level) it is much easier on the truck. Like anything you move, imagine pulling a box with a rope. It is easier to get the box to move if you are pulling it straight as opposed to lifting and pulling.
There has to be some tounge weight so the trailer responds to the truck and acts like its attatched. You have alot of weight off the back of the trailer with the gate and the main body weight of the Chopper hanging back. If you hit a big bump or have to swerve the trailer is going to want to bounce down and jump off the ball since there is not much weight holding the hitch to the ball (tounge weight) You don't want too much or too little tounge weight. Just look at semi-trailers and figure how they would look if they didn't pull in-line, your truck is a smaller version of this.

The weight has to be balanced but mostly it has to be supported. The support comes from the axle and the frame. The frame is an extention of your truck connected at the ball.
On level ground, try setting your trailer on the jack at a level angle(0) and back your truck up to it. Measure the difference from hitch to ball to see what drop you need. Go and buy one and give it a try. If you have access to a truck stop scale take the trailer there and weigh it on the scale then back it off and put the tounge and jack only to the scale for the tounge weight. There is a stamping on the tounge for the max. tounge weight of the trailer. Good to know so you don't overload the tounge but you don't have that problem. You may have to rearrange the setup so you move the weight of the Chopper over the axle. That will shift some weight forward also.

I'm not pickin on you I am just trying to help. Its a neat setup and I'd hate to hear about an accident. Good Luck.

Lawnworks
10-22-2001, 03:03 PM
I appreciate the advice MOW ED, but I have spent $4000 fixing my tranny in my truck and I try to keep the weight off the tongue, so my tranny will last long enough to get another truck. Hopefully, I am going to pick one up this weekend. When I get another truck i will park the Chopper backwards which wil give it more tongue weight.

Thanks

lawnboy82
10-22-2001, 03:14 PM
I would suggest something here, but I don't know if this is possible to do. Instead of using just a regular ball mount, why not switch over to a pintle / ball combo? So long as the top piece goes and locks in the down position I think that would give you a lot more security should the trailer start a rockin.

Guido
10-22-2001, 04:08 PM
Not positive, but I don't believe it would work. Never tried though. For one, I don't think it would be able to lock down with the reciever hooked onto the ball. And two... I believe it would hinder the turning ability of the trailer, ya know what I mean?? I could be wrong though, but I know some ball reciever's are taller and larger and built differently than others, so it may be a case by case thing.

Lawnworks - I'm going to give a little constructive critisism, hope you take it the right way. And this goes for grassslayer also.

You guys are not NASCAR drivers. I don't believe that your dealer is paying you to have the signs on your trailer. I also bet that your dealer DOES NOT have a larger sign with your business name on his building than his own company name. (For a reason)

It looks tacky in my opinion. It would look a lot more proffesional with another one of your signs on the gate or nothing at all, which in turn would allow you to mount your license plate correctly.

If your next truck deal doesn't work out, I would definetly put a drop on that hitch to level out the trailer. I wouldn't enjoy driving behind you (especially on a highway) worrying about that thing letting loose.

Hope this helps some!:eek: Yes I mean it!!

iski3d
10-22-2001, 08:25 PM
Guys i have an f-350 4x4 and even with a 4" drop hitch my tailer is not level. The big issue is to keep enough weight on the front of the trailer. 60 to 70% of your cargo's weight should be in front of the axle, i beleive. Lawnworks, the truck looks good, and i like the D.C. sign!

TLS
10-22-2001, 08:38 PM
I agree 100% with Guido. I guess they dont have bumper height laws in Georgia, or tire protrusion laws, or license plate lights, or license plate orientation laws.

Buy a bigger drop hitch, or add bigger tires to the trailer.

Sorry, DC sign looks tacky.

I do like the air tank though.

rodney
10-22-2001, 09:06 PM
lawnboy 82
you can do that to some but not the hydraulic surge .
i have seen one that broke off the ball while turning a sharp left.
it was a bob cat trailer .major bumper and tailgate damage.

Lawnworks
10-22-2001, 11:12 PM
I guess the sign is a Dixie Chopper owner thing! I have got the fastest lawnmower in the world and I want people to know it!:) I am the only one in town that has a Chopper so I feel people need to know to what I have on my trailer! :) jk! I guess I am 18 and proud to have a Chopper. I am truly blessed!!:) Come to think of it, I doubt I will ever have a level trailer b/c I like big trucks, but i think tongue weight is the trick. iski3d, I think you are right if you have a big truck it is hard to get it level. Down here in redneckville nobody cares about bumper laws(too many trucks violate) and as far as a license tag goes nobody cares either. Yall must have some real stiglers for cops. I appreciate all your advise, comments, and compliments.

Rick

eskals
10-23-2001, 12:39 AM
These guys aren't giving you tips on how to avoid a ticket, they are trying to make you safer on the road.

I guess with such a small trailer you will never see the advantages of a level trailer. When you get into the bigger setups, you want to have it level or you can introduce a lot of sway (which you really don't want).

Eric

Island Lawn
10-24-2001, 06:37 PM
The stress on your tranny has little to do with tounge weight!

The tranny is "pulling", not "picking up".

The suspension is doing the "picking up"

Good Luck.

BTW, You spent 4 grand on a tranny?

Just my 02
BIGGASS DC ad is tacky!

Richard Martin
10-24-2001, 06:49 PM
Lawnworks wrote:
Down here in redneckville nobody cares about bumper laws(too many trucks violate) and as far as a license tag goes nobody cares either. Yall must have some real stiglers for cops.

Here in my part of Maryland they let you get away with stuff like that for a reason. They figure that eventually you are gonna do something (since you don't abide by laws anyway) that they see but can't really pull you over for. Now if they've been letting you ride around with: the tag mounted wrong, one of those license plate covers, broken headlight etc.. then they have a reason to pull you over anytime they want to. And usually it's at night after you've had a couple of beers. They get a lot of DWIs because of burned out tail lights.

Lawnworks
10-24-2001, 08:08 PM
Yeah 4gs on my tranny. I broke the drive shaft, input shaft, messed up my transfer case. Cops won't get me for anything cause I don't drink or do drugs. I have been pulled over for swerving but that was b/c I was either talking on my phone or just plain suck at driving. I cannot wait till have i have to worry about my trailer being level cause i will probably have a big diesel truck and huge enclosed trailer.:D

Thanks for the input
Rick

iski3d
10-24-2001, 08:37 PM
Guys dont give lawnworks such a hard time bout the truck. Are he and I the only ones here who like lifted trucks? Cant wait to get my superduty w/6" lift and 37" swampers. ;)

Eric ELM
10-24-2001, 09:00 PM
Rick, You have a nice looking rig. I would be a bit concerned about the way you load your Chopper though. To much tail weight and you can get a lot of trailer sway going down the road, especially with a single axle trailer. I would back it on if I were you to get more tongue weight. As mentioned above, tongue weight won't put more strain on your tranny.

As far as keeping the trailer level, it is more important on tandem axle trailers. I too like a tall truck, but mine is far from tall, but it's far from a low rider too. :)

As you can see on mine below, the hitch is dropped quite a bit, but my trailer rides level.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/images/010910-001.jpg

CSRA Landscaping
10-24-2001, 09:46 PM
Looks real nice Lawnworks ... Eric just helped me figure out how to get my trailer level! (I never claimed to be a jenyus. ;) )

kutnkru
10-24-2001, 09:50 PM
iski
If your going to do it - then go for the 43's -LOL!!!

Kris

Grass_Slayer
10-24-2001, 11:38 PM
I LIKE LIFTED TRUCKS!! I like lowered trucks a lot better though. Only thing is u have to get air shocks so when u hook up the trailer it doesn't drag the ground!!

Lawnworks
10-25-2001, 12:17 AM
iski3d-
my dream truck is Ford F-350 w/ 8-12" lift w/ at least 40s. Your truck would look sweet w/ 6" lift and 37" tires. But if I were you I would go ahead and get an 8" lift. You will always want it higher. We have a couple F350s w/ 38.5 swampers and they are just as tall as semis. Put a sign one of those trucks and it is like a moving billboard.

Eric
Your truck is a powerstoke right?

Cutter1
10-25-2001, 12:39 AM
That has to sway at higher speeds?? Just doesn't look like enough tongue weight. I like the signs though.

stslawncare
10-25-2001, 10:28 AM
i dont know for sure, but im pretty sure erics truck is not a diesel. but it is very nice!!

4x4Dragon
10-25-2001, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Lawnworks
This is my first time posting a pic so bare w/ me. I searched to find how to do this but to no avail. How do I put the actual pic on the post? I know somebody asked this before; I just cannot find it.

hey, how's it going, Im going to be starting up soon in the lawn car business with a buddy of mine. I was just going to say that the only thing I see similar with your setup and my soon to be setup is my truck. Well, I don't have a Ranger, I have a Tacoma reg. cab. And Im gonna be lifting it 5"(3" suspension, 2" body) and slapping some 33x12.5 mt's on it. :D Gotta have a buf ride to pull my new soon-to-come business. hehehe

Anyways, your truck looks good.

4x4Dragon
10-25-2001, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Lawnworks

Hey, I just wanted to ask you one quick question.(or maybe just a couple of ????'s)

What engine do you have in your truck.(is it the 3.0 v6?)?

What gearing does your truck have?

How does the truck do pulling that trailer?

Im just trying to see what it's gonna be like towing similar equipment with my Tacoma. Just doing some comparing. Im confident my Tacoma can tow the equipment, I just wanna see how comfortably it will do so.

Thanks in advance.

mdb landscaping
10-25-2001, 06:03 PM
iski3- hope youre not planning on plowing with your truck. will be awfully difficult with such large tires. get ready to get out the wallet for all the gas you are going to go through.

Lawnworks
10-25-2001, 06:22 PM
4x4Dragon
I have a 4.0 engine w/ stock gears(I think 3.11) You have a better gear ratio in your toyota I think. It pulls pretty good; my trailer does not weigh much.

iski3d
10-25-2001, 09:03 PM
Yah guys ive got an 89 f350 4x4 rite now but hopefully will have a superduty next season. My truck gets about 7-8mpg (diesel) w/trailer-i dont think a superduty would get less than that? oh well work hard and play hard.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-26-2001, 08:39 AM
Those of you who are running or planning on running 38's and 40's ???? Do you use the beds of the trucks ?? Do you climb ladders to get up there, Sounds counter productive to me.. ??Maybe it looks cool and all but thats not very practical for a work truck.. DOnt' get me wrong ... I have long been a fan of big mud tires and showy trucks, built a few in my days, Jeeps, with 38's and 36's But I could not imagine working out of them , especailly for taking clippings and mulch out of the back or in.. ?? You can't plow with a truck that tall , the plow wont touch the ground ??? LOL and what do you guys have 15" drop hitches, thats gonna seriously reduce your towing capacity..

Lawnworks
10-26-2001, 09:25 AM
iski3d:

I used to have a '89 350 4dr 460 5-speed w/ 39.5 Mickey thompsons. All it had was a 3" body lift. That was a sweet truck. The only pic I have is a regular kodak pic.

CSRA Landscaping
10-26-2001, 01:38 PM
Chris,
Bill Parrish of Fine Lines Lawn has a picture of a plow truck that you need to see! Just PM him and ask him to send it to you.

Green Care
10-26-2001, 08:09 PM
Love the " LAWNWORKS" sign

Are you getting a % of every chopper sold????????????????????

Fine Lines Lawn
10-27-2001, 07:30 AM
Here is a picture of the truck Jeff referred to:

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-27-2001, 11:17 AM
Bill,

Thanks for posting the pic.. What is that thing for ?? looks like maybe for doing train tracks ??? What is it and what year ?? I'm curious ....