PDA

View Full Version : Professional Partnerships

Paradise Landscapes
01-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes, a thread on Partnerships, but not what you think.

I am asking about profressional partnerships with a company like John Deere Landcapes.

John Deere Landscapes www.JohnDeereLandscapes.com
1) Partners for your business
2) Gives you Discounts
3) You can offer your customers Credit through them.
4) Offer Training

I would like to branch out and have them as a supplier.
What do you think?
Are they a bad company?
What are the pros and cons?

echeandia
01-07-2008, 09:11 PM
After looking their web site I got the feeling they generate leads and provide them to their partners. Then the partner uses JD supplies and somehow gives JD a cut. There is a local office here so I may call tomorrow and find out more.

bohiaa
01-08-2008, 11:29 AM
a situwation like this needs to be a win win, make sure they dont have you Jumping through hoops to advertise there product, and you doing all the work, with little in return

Paradise Landscapes
01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm also looking at the facts that 1) I can get leads through them for work 2) I can offer credit to my Full Landscape customers through JD credit. The closest one is a few counties over though, about a 2 hr drive, and yes, each time I would have to go there, I'd bill my customers for my time.

echeandia
01-14-2008, 08:40 PM
I was at MANTS last week and came across the John Deere Landscapes booth so I didn't have to call. The way they work is that they want to be your supplier for all of your landscaping materials. This includes plants, mulch, fertilizer, irrigation, seed, equipment, etc. Additionally, they will provide you with availability to regional and local training through them. I am sure the training costs but he did not state it did and I forgot to ask. The local support also includes field training on a job or two (for example if you want to offer a new service like irrigation and have no experience they will help you with the install) Additionally, they offer discounts on John Deere equipment, calling plans, insurance, and other business services. In return they will direct leads to you (and everyone else that is a partner).

The only catch is that they would like you to buy $25,000 in supplies annually. I told the guy that was much more than what I currently do. However, he said don't think small and that I should sign up anyway.

They seemed like good guys so you might want to visit with your local JDL retailer.

Hope this helps.

Paradise Landscapes
01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Thank you! Yes, I'l visit them next month when I'll be out that way. The only 2 things are 1) the drive out there and 2) generating that much business since I'm starting all over again on a clean slate. Well, If they pass me the leads, I get the job, I'll buy off of them.

landvet
01-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Be careful fellas, how do think these companies got to be as big as they are so quickly? echeandia, when somebody says to you " don't think small, just sign up anyway ," doesn't that throw up a red flag to you? That guy doesn't know your sales figures, he doesn't know jack about your company or what's right for it. Be carefull about risking all the things you have worked hard for. Have a lawyer look over any and all contracts that they will want you to sign. What's going to happen if you don't by 25k of their product when you signed a contract that said you would? Not trying to be negative, just be cautious. I'm all for expansion and growth but why allow someone to push you into it.

Grits
01-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Be careful fellas, how do think these companies got to be as big as they are so quickly? echeandia, when somebody says to you " don't think small, just sign up anyway ," doesn't that throw up a red flag to you? That guy doesn't know your sales figures, he doesn't know jack about your company or what's right for it. Be carefull about risking all the things you have worked hard for. Have a lawyer look over any and all contracts that they will want you to sign. What's going to happen if you don't by 25k of their product when you signed a contract that said you would? Not trying to be negative, just be cautious. I'm all for expansion and growth but why allow someone to push you into it.

Good post.
The "sign up" comment immediately threw up a red flag with me when I read it, too.

Paradise Landscapes
01-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I'll check them out further since I do have questions. Since you brought that up. If they won't allow me to walk off with a contract, (UNSIGNED for atty. review)Good by! Don't want yor business.

Grits
01-16-2008, 11:38 PM
I'll check them out further since I do have questions. Since you brought that up. If they won't allow me to walk off with a contract, (UNSIGNED for atty. review)Good by! Don't want yor business.

For sure. If they don't let you take one to have an attorney look it over then there is definitely some shady activity going on. They should encourage you to have your attorney look at it.

echeandia
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
echeandia, when somebody says to you " don't think small, just sign up anyway ," doesn't that throw up a red flag to you?

My takeaway on his statement was that he would take whatever sales he could generate. I buy from several suppliers and I bet all of them want me to buy more.

Have a lawyer look over any and all contracts that they will want you to sign. What's going to happen if you don't by 25k of their product when you signed a contract that said you would?

I didn't get the impression that there was a contract committing me to $25K of purchases. I don't know and since I didn't spend half that last season I won't be signing up.