PDA

View Full Version : Got a question for those who may have travelled this road

jdwilliams1
01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I had a lawncare biz from 1988 to 2004 and then sold it. During that time I was a full service company from mowing to landscaping. Well I am plannin on starting my 3rd lawncare business and this will be the first time that I will attempt to do it without offering mowing. I just do not want to deal with it this time.

So my question is, have any of you had good luck in acquiring and keeping your customers offering only mulching, landscaping, shrub trimming, spring and fall cleanups, leaf removal etc and no mowing.

Or....maybe have you had luck in subing that out and finding a reliable business to do all your mowing? This may be the route I go but wanted to get thoughts of others.

Thanks

lawnpro724
01-09-2008, 10:02 AM
I have done kinda the same thing as you, I started in 89 as a full service company then sold out in 98 only to get back into it in 2004. I still offer lawn mowing but have been leaning more toward landscaping the last couple of years. Mowing is so competitive these day's and prices are going lower and lower the landscaping field isn't as competitive and there is a lot more money if you know what your doing. Most of the jobs we did last year and are going to be doing this year are complete tear outs and re-do's of either old landscaping that looks good but just needs updated or what we have been doing, most of which is fixing the screw ups of "Joe blow come and mow landscaper " NOT. Fixing other peoples screw ups seems to be a market all its own, I know were very busy doing it. I'm not sure if you have employees or not if you do lawn mowing brings in steady money week to week and helps keep your workers working not to mention paying them. If your solo and know what your doing I think it should work out well but if you advertise your services your going to get calls for mowing. I would go out and talk with some of the guy's in your area that just do mowing and market your services to them.

landvet
01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
jdwilliams1; I left the lawn maintenace business after doing it for 3 yrs, about 15 yrs. ago and I never looked back. I also had a tree service division that I kept for a little longer and then finally got out of that and went strictly into design/build. Better money for me and I enjoyed it more. A lot less headaches and overhead costs, less employee hassle. There are entirely to many guys mowing in our area back then and now. Alot of guys are trying to do volume now because the prices are so low they can't make any money on even high end. I'm not cutting a $60.00 lawn for 25 bucks. Some of the villaminium prices here are friggin ridiculous! I would imagine the Indy market is just as bad. A lot of guys who were cutting up here are now cutting down there.