PDA

View Full Version : neighborhood specific marketing

Nathan
10-21-2001, 04:15 PM
I have searched the posts on marketing and mass mailings, but what I have in mind is a little different. There are many neighborhoods in the area that have very good demographics and we already have a lot of business in some of them. I would like to target JUST these neighborhoods with some recurring mailings to get our name ingrained into potential customers.
Does anyone know how to get addresses for entire neighborhoods without having to do mass zip code mailings or driving around the neighborhood writing down everyones address.

BTW, yes, I have used flyers and they work well but I intend to try some less time consuming actions to supplement our advertising and flyer programs.
Thanks.

Runner
10-21-2001, 04:43 PM
This was brought up once before, and I know SOMEONE on here knows how to do it. Hopefully, they'll see this thread and be able to help you out. I do know that there is a book available, I'm not sure what it's called, but it does have a name. Basically, what it is, is a reverse listing of the phone book. Instead of going by names, it targets addresses - area by area, and tells who lives there. Another thing to do as a strategy, is if you have impeccable work, GET THE SUBDIVISION ENTRANCES! This is a major selling point for your work. Talk to those people, and talk to them again. You may even want to call around your bookstores for this book, OR youu could just go to the library and run off some copies of those pages. I hope this helps!
P.S. If anyone knows the name of this book, please let us know. I would like to gain the knowledge.:)

Ric
10-21-2001, 08:09 PM
Nathan

CrissCross Telephone Directory is one way. You can Find it at your local Library. It has two ways to list phone numbers. look up phone # get name and address. or look up street and get every ones address # phone # and name. Unlisted # will not be in the book. Pick your Streets in the nieghborhood you want and copy the pages on the copy machine. These books are generally not loaned out.

From the first lawn to the last lawn I do it is 6 miles the way I did this was. 1. Show up same time every week, let them set there clock by you. 2. Fertilize, make your lawns the greenest lawn on the block. 3. Professionalism, (take lawnboy82 advise "school rocks") Know your business. 4. Offer full service, trees shrubs etc. 5. Go the extra mile make sure everything is clean and picked up. 6. Smile and wave at every one. spend a little time to talk to everyone that walks by. Go back to the houses for what ever reason in the evening when the nieghbors are home and in their yard. Drive a clean polished truck with clean equip. uniform shirts with you phone # and name. Drive thru the nieghborhoods a coup times a day to be seen. Sat. & Sun are real good. 7. Time it takes Time to built up a route like my.

Ric

Kevin M.
10-21-2001, 08:30 PM
The way I solicit customers is by having a tape recorder in one hand and drive up and down the road and record the peoples names and addresses and look in the phone book and you have them for free. I call this target marketing.

LoneStarLawn
10-21-2001, 08:34 PM
Use the internet.

Runner
10-21-2001, 09:19 PM
Here is a site that I found that may help you. www.anywho.com I went in to this, and somehow ended up in to one called www.freeality.com . I looked myself up, I clicked on my address, and it took me to every listing on my road. (pages and pages) This thing is prety cool! Play around with it a bit, and try some of the different reverse list sites on it. Let me know how it turns out!

Runner
10-21-2001, 09:53 PM
That was backwards. It WAS www.freeality.com THEN to www.anywho.com . I noticed when you click on the freeality link from here, though, it shows a server error. I found this though msn.com and searched for "phone directories".

TLS
10-21-2001, 10:40 PM
Search the internet for your local Counties website. My county website has a search feature for Assessment Data. This data includes owners: Names, address, lot sqft., house sqft., type of house, bedrooms, bathrooms, purchase price, purchase date, assessment value, and other handy things!

Its ususally a .org address. I haven't used mine for business, but it helps when estimating lot size of current customers.

1grnlwn
10-21-2001, 10:50 PM
My neighbor is a yellow page salesman and he said he would sell me a reverse directory. This would be on CD and they want you to sign up for updates. Another way is to mail by postal route. Go to the main post office and look for the postal route for your target area. I beleive you can mass mail to just one route(smaller than zip).

Runner
10-22-2001, 12:15 AM
You can do that, but then you don't have names. They would all just have to be addressed "Resident".

mlc4163
10-22-2001, 12:57 AM
The book your refering to is the criss cross directory.
It can be done quickly if you know the street names in the target area. I just went to my local branch an ask the librarian if they had such a book. She knew exactly what I was talking about. Simply go to the page with your streets and make a copy. Our branch offers this service for a modest charge. Then I went home and entered them into my computer. With the data base in a software program that prints labels post cards, ect... I had "MS WORKS" at the time, I could print post card type flyers, $0.20 stamps vs. $0.32 stamps at the time. We also went to a local KINKO's for a postcard design as they offered that service.
Hope I haven't run on to long but this stuff get the brain sizzling.
To advertise on the net find a local web site, i.e. Atlanta.com or something and buy some banner space. You can also find local web sites with similar product lines that may allow you to buy space or perhaps exchange links, i.e. you could offer grass cutting services and the other party could offer landscaping or stone work. Better end here before I run out of finger tips.

Guido
10-22-2001, 06:26 PM
www.anywho.com like you said and its simple enough for me to get results! ;)

I just typed in an address I knew back in the states. I know my parents house is on a street with 22 others. I typed in the info and found there house, then when they were found there was a hyperlink on their street name. I clicked that and bammm 24 names (2 homes had 2 lines listed)!! It gives all the info you need.

Its a lot better and more recognized when sent to an actual person and not "resident".

I think that anyone thinking of this should go ahead and do it. Type in every name on your customer list and advertise to their streets telling them in a letter that you service a lawn in their area , blah blah blah..... This would work well to tighten up your route if successful.

Good thread! (It should be in my favorite forum for elements of business though!!) ;)

SprinklerGuy
10-22-2001, 06:57 PM
We do this!!! It seems to work well although the results are not always immediate. . I also go on the web, although a different spot then you do. I used to print onto labels, but I read somewhere that the handwritten ones got a
better response. Can't tell yet which works best. Try it

Runner
10-22-2001, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by guido
[B]www.anywho.com like you said and its simple enough for me to get results! ;)
Type in every name on your customer list and advertise to their streets telling them in a letter that you service a lawn in their area , blah blah blah..... This would work well to tighten up your route if successful.

Gosh, I'm getting such a grin, here! It's like, "DUH!!!" I didn't even think of that, of using the current customers addresses for the reference to others in the area!:rolleyes: It's funny how some things can slip your mind like that.:D

Loosestrife
10-22-2001, 09:31 PM
DeLorme Phone Search USA

This is a cd set that can be bought in most office supply supermarkets. It is a nationwide phone directory that allows you to search by ANY of the following

Name
Street
City
Zip
Aera Code
Telephone
Residential
Commercial SIC Code

WHat we would do was to type in a street, and city, then it would pull up all the address on that street. We would then delete and duplicates, existing customers, or other underierables, and then the program will print mailing labeels for you.

This cost less than $50, and was found to be very accurate.
This eliminated a lot of re-typing of addresses.

jjfehr
10-22-2001, 11:01 PM
NATHAN
I hope this will not be thought of as advertising! A great way to get, and keep your name in front potential customers is through the use of promotional advertising products!(pens,mugs, key chains...) A few friends and I bought into an operation that gets us these types of personalised at a wholesale price. My favorite product that I use in the spring in mailings is a generic bic pen that sell for 23 cents each with a minimum order of 500. That is a total price of $117.50 plus shipping (shipping is about $10) I can get them to you for $106.50 plus shipping. (It is only a 10% discount, but it helps a little!) If you are interested
Email me @ ejferh@earthlink.net

Nathan
10-24-2001, 11:01 PM
Thank you all who replied on this, very much help. Anyone else who continues with this idea please let us know how it works. I will be getting all of this together this winter, along with all of our other new advertising.