PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise in my ford.

Indy Kyle
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
I have a 99 ford f250 V10. When I first start it up there is a ticking noise that seems to be coming from the motor. After about 5 minutes it goes away then comes and goes for a little while longer. It always eventually stops for good though. I have been told that it might be a stuck lifter. What do you guys think?

topsites
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Honestly?

I think this is an excellent learning opportunity for diagnostics on your part.
Go to the auto parts store and buy yourself an automotive stethoscope, same thing the doctors use to listen to your heart beat, stick in your ears thing but the automotive doesn't have that resonant round end instead it's more like a rod, either automotive or medical stethoscope will work for this thou.

So if the auto parts store doesn't have one then you can also get one from a medical supply store, get a nice one they run about 15-20 bucks and maybe you'll want to look at several and unfortunately every one made isn't always the best, up to you which kind to get.

Then, start listening to your engine, it's a very nice experience I think, I did it some years ago and found it was my number 1 lifter (thou I still had to pull the valve cover and rocker arm assembly off to find the problem, at least the stethoscope narrowed it down to the right side front of the engine).

Never did fix it, but that experience sure comes in handy.
How that works...

Two Seasons
01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Hydraulic lifter is dirty.

If you run some tranny fluid through the engine oil (16oz.) with a fresh change that should start cleaning it out. Leave it in there until you change the oil, if you still have the noise, repeat the process.

Or you could switch to synthetic oil and it will do the same thing over time.

cat1
01-08-2008, 02:04 PM
It could be a rusted off or broken exhaust manifold stud, very common on both the 5.4 and v10 fords I had both. I just replace the studs on my 5.4 3 broken studs on right side. I still need to do the left side it has 1 broken stud. Look at both sides at the exhaust manifolds studs.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
It could be a rusted off or broken exhaust manifold stud, very common on both the 5.4 and v10 fords I had both. I just replace the studs on my 5.4 3 broken studs on right side. I still need to do the left side it has 1 broken stud. Look at both sides at the exhaust manifolds studs.

This is most likely the problem. It may also be a leak in the intake gasket... but, the exhaust manifold bolts or gasket is probably it. An automotive stethoscope would diagnose the problem... but, a long handled screwdriver also works well to isolate sources of noise.

Drew Gemma
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
use a motorcraft filter and see if it goes away very common problem with off brand oil filters

LawnBoy89
01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Same thing on my 02' V-10...only happens when its not completely warmed up and accelerating after a couple minutes its gone.

Indy Kyle
01-09-2008, 12:31 PM
If it was a broken manifold stud why would it always eventually go away? Also when u give it gas the ticking sound speeds up with it.

LawnBoy89
01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
If it was a broken manifold stud why would it always eventually go away? Also when u give it gas the ticking sound speeds up with it.

Do you hear it when it is idleing?....I don't

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM

Metal expands when it's warmed up. The sound is congruent with rpm's because the faster the engine goes... the faster the sounds do too.

J&R Landscaping
01-09-2008, 08:57 PM
How many miles does the engine have on it?

Indy Kyle
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes I do hear it when it idles. There are about 89,000 miles on it.

J&R Landscaping
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Sounds like maybe a lifter problem or a valve tapping.

IndyChad
01-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Maybe the ticking sound is just in your head?? Thought about that??

Indy Kyle
01-11-2008, 08:49 AM
I did think about that actually, but when I walk away from my truck I dont hear it anymore so I pretty much ruled that one out. Thanks!!

Luvs2Play
01-11-2008, 08:56 AM
More than likely, as said before, it's a broken exhaust manifold bolt. It could also be the EGR valve sticking. It is unlikely a lifter or oil filter problem. I have had to have the manifold bolt replaced once. Take it to the shop, they'll be able to tell right away.

dgZtrak737
01-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Hydraulic lifter is dirty.

If you run some tranny fluid through the engine oil (16oz.) with a fresh change that should start cleaning it out. Leave it in there until you change the oil, if you still have the noise, repeat the process.

Or you could switch to synthetic oil and it will do the same thing over time.

I worked in an oil change facility for 7 years, this sounds like your problem. The Castrol Reps told us not to sell synthectic oil to a vehilce with that many miles on it, THEY SAID It could create leaks, instead they reccomended using Castrol High Mileage. Thats what I would do if I was you. Dosent have to be Castrol, I belive Valvoline makes a high mileage oil. Also try a Higher Octane Gas

topsites
01-13-2008, 03:08 AM

Because when accelerating your exhaust experiences a considerable heat increase, and so the steel expands and in so doing it opens up the leak, which is when you hear it. Once back to normal operation the exhaust cools a bit and the hole seals back up as the steel shrinks.

This is one thing my Dodge does, but I just wouldn't call it 'ticking,' for one it's louder.
And it's not constant, at least not in my case, but if it is then it could be in the EGR.

If it's a lifter there is no magic cure, don't dump crap in your crankcase.
Kerosene will loosen up sludge and free sticking valves and IF a lifter is stuck it might help it but in most cases lifters need to be replaced, also dumping kerosene in the crankcase is known as a motor flush and it involves a procedure, never dump anything but oil in your crankcase so long you intend on driving!

You just won't know until you narrow it down but if it comes and goes such as is the case with exhaust components then it most likely is missing a bolt or stud or nut, also don't forget the EGR.

Jason Rose
01-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Well my vote was for exhaust manifold too. Though I find them to be the opposite of what Topsites posted, usually it will "tick" for the first few minutes, then once the metal expands as it gets hot it seals off again.

I had an '88 Ford with the 460 that had perpetually broken manifold studs. Just the nature of those beasts. I had them fixed, new gaskets, even replaced one manifold that was warped. A short time later, another leak. Arrggg. Nothing sounds more white trash than that ticking sound!

siklid1066
01-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Its the exhaust manifold,its a common problem with Ford.And if the head needs to come off it runs into big bucks!

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 12:22 PM

If it's a lifter there is no magic cure, don't dump crap in your crankcase.
Kerosene will loosen up sludge and free sticking valves and IF a lifter is stuck it might help it but in most cases lifters need to be replaced, also dumping kerosene in the crankcase is known as a motor flush and it involves a procedure, never dump anything but oil in your crankcase so long you intend on driving!

Putting anything other than oil in it is bad. Ever see how long it really takes to get all the Diesel out of an engine after an fuel line breaks inside one. Took 4 oil changes to get it out of a Detroit. Engine was sure clean on teardown though about 2000 hours later.;)

topsites
01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Putting anything other than oil in it is bad. Ever see how long it really takes to get all the Diesel out of an engine after an fuel line breaks inside one. Took 4 oil changes to get it out of a Detroit. Engine was sure clean on teardown though about 2000 hours later.;)

I've never dumped diesel in one, even a motor flush isn't the best solution but when it keeps turning the oil black because there's gunked up junk in there, sometimes a can of motor flush fixes it... You can buy a can at the store and it is something you do right before an oil change. Now the cans of motor flush contain, whaddaya know, Kerosene (at $8 a quart), the advantage to buying it in a can is for first timers it gives you the instructions, so after you use it hang on to that empty can and in the future use straight kerosene at a cost of $3 a gallon, that was what I was referring to.

And it might fix the problem, but it's more related to gunk in general, meaning likely your valves would tick and other indications would exist that your engine is gunked up besides, in this example, if it's one ticking lifter that is most likely not a gunk related issue.

TheLandyman
01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
buy a bottle of seafoam, read the directions on the back. works great!

Indy Kyle
01-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Im almost positive it is something internal like a lifter. The noise increases with the rpm's and it still does it for a while when it is at normal temperature.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Im almost positive it is something internal like a lifter. The noise increases with the rpm's and it still does it for a while when it is at normal temperature.

This thread should have been dead days ago. I know you think it's a lifter... buy, you really need to take a look at your intake-exhaust manifold. I Guarantee that this is your problem.

Tagg
01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
How about taking it to the Ford garage and get the correct answer. I have a 2000 f150 4.6L and it does the same thing. What is the correct answer ???:usflag: