PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer Tires

ma5tr
01-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Hello All,

I'm about to purchase a new set of tires for my skidsteer(cat 232b). I'm looking at the Galaxy Brand.(www.galaxytire.com) Just wondering if anyone know what tread pattern will be best in light mud(and no i'm not gonna buy a tracked machine) I'm thinking of either the beefybaby or the hulks. any suggestions are appreciated. Also any input of any other onematic tire brands. Thanks

cat2
01-07-2008, 11:25 PM
thats a good tire http://www.galaxytire.com/DisplayTire.aspx?ttid=408&TRID=

cat2
01-07-2008, 11:26 PM
if you want one for mud http://www.galaxytire.com/DisplayTire.aspx?ttid=323&TRID=

KTM
01-07-2008, 11:34 PM
What ever you do never buy the brand name Solideal, they came on a John Deere that we had, I have never had to deal with a worst set of tires than those in my life. I looked on the tire and they were made in Sri Lanka, WTF?

ksss
01-08-2008, 12:09 AM
I am not a big fan of the Galaxy tire. I have had QC issues such as air leaking out of the bead from inside the tire, tread tearing , and the tread itself cupping and not wearing flat. I have been having better luck with the Firestone Duraforce DT tire. The tread is deeper, the compound maybe a little softer, the tread is flat so you get max traction and more floatation. Maybe check into and see what you think.

ksss
01-08-2008, 12:12 AM
What ever you do never buy the brand name Solideal, they came on a John Deere that we had, I have never had to deal with a worst set of tires than those in my life. I looked on the tire and they were made in Sri Lanka, WTF?

Galaxy tires used to be made in South Africa, I think some of the manufacturing moved to the US I am not sure. I think the older Galaxy tires are better than the current ones.

ksss
01-08-2008, 02:10 AM
The Hulks are going to be heavier and provide less floatation. They will also take more hp to run. The tread is not great for mud. They are heavier duty and are the ticket in abusive conditions. However if you don't need that kind of tire you can almost buy 2-1 of the typical skid tire vs the Hulk type.

bishoplandscape
01-08-2008, 02:52 AM
I am not a big fan of the Galaxy tire. I have had QC issues such as air leaking out of the bead from inside the tire, tread tearing , and the tread itself cupping and not wearing flat. I have been having better luck with the Firestone Duraforce DT tire. The tread is deeper, the compound maybe a little softer, the tread is flat so you get max traction and more floatation. Maybe check into and see what you think.

I've had the same problem they came on our new machine cant wait to change them about 40% now so wont be too much longer.

YellowDogSVC
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
The Hulks are going to be heavier and provide less floatation. They will also take more hp to run. The tread is not great for mud. They are heavier duty and are the ticket in abusive conditions. However if you don't need that kind of tire you can almost buy 2-1 of the typical skid tire vs the Hulk type.

I"ve run hulks for years. Solid fill and air fill. Absolutely horrible in anything slick. Great in rock or rough surfaces but sand, mud, soft ground they are terrible. They are self-cleaning, though, as advertised.

Cantona
01-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I had the same QC issues with galaxy tires as well as the solideal pos, we bought the mclaren tires for our jd 325 and everybody loves them, very durable and very very good tread.

*only problem one old timer complains about is that he cannot bounce the front end off the ground to spin on just the rears*

ksss
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I had the same QC issues with galaxy tires as well as the solideal pos, we bought the mclaren tires for our jd 325 and everybody loves them, very durable and very very good tread.

*only problem one old timer complains about is that he cannot bounce the front end off the ground to spin on just the rears*

I just priced a set of Mclaren Nu air in 12X16.5 and it was $2600.00

The Firestones cost me about $900.00

The bonus of not getting flats is the difference. They (Mclaren) claims 3-5 times the life expectancy which if you got 4-5 times the life your saving money without the no flat benefit.

Anyone run these tires and can vouch for the life expectancy. I would not mind trying a set if they last.

I seem to get about 750 hours on a set of tires before I replace them.

Cantona
01-08-2008, 01:47 PM
So far they have about 550 hours and look like they have not worn at all but time will tell. We took a gamble on them because of so much down time with flats and getting tires replaced when the machine should have been on the job for 3 months straight. If they don't work out it will be an expensive lesson, if not I have tires for my other 3 machines

GradeMan
01-08-2008, 01:51 PM
HAS anyone tried re treading{ Vulcanizing}? I would think it would solve some of flat tire issues but I wonder how they would hold up with all the turning?

KPS
01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Do you not like the Cat OEM tires? I have run a couple sets of SKS HAULERS and found them to be tough... Thick thick sidewall armor.

ksss
01-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I have them on a machine now. They were OEM on my 465. I don't think they are that great. Certainly not good enough for me to buy them again. I put new Firestones on the 465 and the used SKS on the 440. Once they are burned off they are gone.

JDSKIDSTEER
01-08-2008, 03:13 PM
If you go with Galaxy, go with Beefy Baby. As far as the Solid Deal tires, some dealers order the base tire offered. The Solid Deal Hauler is a much better tire than the standard tire.

Scag48
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Beefy Baby II is a great tire, that's what we have on our 216. They have gotten me through a few tough spots, but my old man is thinking about getting Nu-Airs next time around. He got 3 flats this summer, we went 2.5 years without getting a flat and he managed to get 3 in a 2 month period. Our 216 has about 600 hours on it right now and the tires are about 40% worn.

ksss
01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Beefy Baby II is a great tire, that's what we have on our 216. They have gotten me through a few tough spots, but my old man is thinking about getting Nu-Airs next time around. He got 3 flats this summer, we went 2.5 years without getting a flat and he managed to get 3 in a 2 month period. Our 216 has about 600 hours on it right now and the tires are about 40% worn.

The QC guy must have had his A game on when they built yours. I have to go back years before I can say that I got a good set. The ones that were real good was a set of Marathoners from Galaxy. Little different tread design. I liked that tire.

KTM
01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Bought a Bobcat 873 when they first came out 1996? had Bobcat brand tires,I think they were called heavy beadgaurds? Had real good luck with them and they lasted 900 hours. I dont know if there the same now though.

KPS
01-08-2008, 05:10 PM
We run the Bobcat Heavy Duty Beadguards on our 463's and They do well in all our ground conditions, only about 700 Hrs per set though.

Construct'O
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM

The bonus of not getting flats is the difference. They (Mclaren) claims 3-5 times the life expectancy which if you got 4-5 times the life your saving money without the no flat benefit.

Anyone run these tires and can vouch for the life expectancy. I would not mind trying a set if they last.

Trying to take notes here on the cost of tire machines,so i can compare to my track machine.

I know they don't compare ,but seeing a little more lite of tracks comapred to tires with this thread.My machine has 658 hrs on the clock now.

If i can get? I say get 1500 hour on my track,without nothing else to have to replace other then the tracks.Lets say $3500 for me, less your cost of $1800 for 2x750 hours set of tires as your thinking at your users pace.

So that would give us a $1700 difference and i know there all always other cost that either one of use could see.So i'm feeling like for me tracks are really better compared to other.

Bennfits for me(working in dirt) no flats,need for muddy conditions,cost of lost time because of mud.Which for what i do truly!!!!!!!! i just couldn't get by with out tracks.

Anyway after comparing your cost of tires,and then if you went with the $2600 dollar set,things get even closer.

Thanks for the info,now i can :sleeping:with out worrying what will becoming on down the road.:dancing::usflag:

mrsops
01-08-2008, 07:06 PM
i run the hulk tires on all my machines they can take a real beating. i dont get many flats at all anymore like i use to when i was using bobcat heavy duty tires. i found the hulk tires to be a little exspensive but i get alot more life out of them then any other tire i have ever owned. i use them in dirt all the time as well and there real good

dozerman21
01-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Trying to take notes here on the cost of tire machines,so i can compare to my track machine.

I know they don't compare ,but seeing a little more lite of tracks comapred to tires with this thread.My machine has 658 hrs on the clock now.

If i can get? I say get 1500 hour on my track,without nothing else to have to replace other then the tracks.Lets say $3500 for me, less your cost of $1800 for 2x750 hours set of tires as your thinking at your users pace.

So that would give us a $1700 difference and i know there all always other cost that either one of use could see.So i'm feeling like for me tracks are really better compared to other.

Bennfits for me(working in dirt) no flats,need for muddy conditions,cost of lost time because of mud.Which for what i do truly!!!!!!!! i just couldn't get by with out tracks.

Anyway after comparing your cost of tires,and then if you went with the $2600 dollar set,things get even closer.

Thanks for the info,now i can :sleeping:with out worrying what will becoming on down the road.:dancing::usflag:

Construct'O- We're in the same boat, but I doubt you will get 1500 hours on your tracks. Hopefully you do, but I'm on pace for 1000, granted I have to do a lot of churning in stone and occasionally running on pavement/curbs. If you're strictly in clean dirt you could see 1500 hours, but then comes the question of how much traction you have left. I'd bet the last couple of hundred hours you'd be spinning in that mud much more than you'd prefer. I had 1000 hours or more as my realistic goal... my T300 was on pace for it as well before I traded it in.

I'm with you on the need for tracks for certain conditions. My situation is the same. I never carried the wheeled skid with me because it just wasn't much good in the mud. They definetly aren't for everybody, but for certain applications they're a must. By the way, I'll post a pic of an average day in KSSS's thread of how muddy it is here when it's not frozen and it rains instead of snows this time of the year.:dizzy:

Construct'O
01-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Construct'O- We're in the same boat, but I doubt you will get 1500 hours on your tracks. Hopefully you do, but I'm on pace for 1000, granted I have to do a lot of churning in stone and occasionally running on pavement/curbs. If you're strictly in clean dirt you could see 1500 hours, but then comes the question of how much traction you have left. I'd bet the last couple of hundred hours you'd be spinning in that mud much more than you'd prefer. I had 1000 hours or more as my realistic goal... my T300 was on pace for it as well before I traded it in.

I'm with you on the need for tracks for certain conditions. My situation is the same. I never carried the wheeled skid with me because it just wasn't much good in the mud. They definetly aren't for everybody, but for certain applications they're a must. By the way, I'll post a pic of an average day in KSSS's thread of how muddy it is here when it's not frozen and it rains instead of snows this time of the year.:dizzy:

Dirt here only!!! but who know,unless i get a wild hair and start doing something else.I did like the tread style on the soliddeal track on one of the other post.

I would like more of a bar or mini x track style better then the Brigdestone large flat pad style.Again i need it more for traction,wouldn't be good for pavement or the other stuff theother guys do on here.

When i have trouble is when the dirt(mud) freezes then it thaw a little and it gets slick on top the the frozen ground under it.You have the same problem when it is like that with even tractor tread or dozer with steel tracks until you get under the frost.

Just a different stroke for this old guy!:dancing::usflag:

dozerman21
01-08-2008, 10:18 PM
A friend of mine who's a landscaper replaced his CT332 tracks with the Solideals, and he likes them. He doesn't get in heavy mud though, mostly dry dirt to light mud. I like the tread pattern of the Bridgestones. I think they might shed mud a little better than the bar type pattern Solideals. I'll look at them both when I replace mine. I think you can get replacement tracks for these now for around 3K if you install them yourself.

qps
01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
A friend of mine who's a landscaper replaced his CT332 tracks with the Solideals, and he likes them. He doesn't get in heavy mud though, mostly dry dirt to light mud. I like the tread pattern of the Bridgestones. I think they might shed mud a little better than the bar type pattern Solideals. I'll look at them both when I replace mine. I think you can get replacement tracks for these now for around 3K if you install them yourself.

I hear your friend works on Saturdays too,,,:laugh::laugh:
not your friend that helped you out with the grading a few weeks ago was it.....

dozerman21
01-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I hear your friend works on Saturdays too,,,:laugh::laugh:
not your friend that helped you out with the grading a few weeks ago was it.....

No, he has the same machine with the same aftermarket tracks though. Johnny on the spot!

Duramax8832
02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Is it possible to upsize from a 10 wide to the 12, for some increased flotation? Or is it just too much wear and tare on the drivetrain?

JDSKIDSTEER
02-26-2009, 10:02 PM

Mclarens are great. Deere dealers are exclusive Brawler dealer and they tell us the tread life on them are 3 times the regular tire life. We are starting to sell them. I think if I owned a tire unit I would have Mclaren or Brawlers. I have sold the Solid deals Mclaren tyle and the customer loves them.

JDSKIDSTEER
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Do you not like the Cat OEM tires? I have run a couple sets of SKS HAULERS and found them to be tough... Thick thick sidewall armor.

Solid Deal makes the SKS Haulers. That is their verson of the Galaxy Beefy Baby. Both are top of the line for regular tread skid steer tires.

JDSKIDSTEER
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Is it possible to upsize from a 10 wide to the 12, for some increased flotation? Or is it just too much wear and tare on the drivetrain?
Just need 12" rims. They should be fine. At least I hae had no problems up sizing 10 to 12's Deere 317.

YellowDogSVC
02-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Galaxy tires used to be made in South Africa, I think some of the manufacturing moved to the US I am not sure. I think the older Galaxy tires are better than the current ones.

I think you are right. My latest set of hulks are not wearing like my others but they are OKAY.

I had the Bobcat severe duty tire, similar to a galaxy hulk but with a more solid tread in the middle that held up even better but my dealer steered me into the galaxy last summer.

hillboy
03-09-2009, 05:49 PM

I have some numbers for you -- I had to check with our machine log to answer a similar question on another forum. We first run Bullman flat proof tires (it turned out they are also made by McLaren, but they sell them only thru their dealers). We put about 2,400 hours on the Bullmans.

We then upgraded to McLaren NuAir AT tires -- much more rubber and better cushioning! They are made especially for concrete and asphalt work. It's very obvious McLaren's NuAir AT tires a higher grade -- a lot more rubber and probably better quality, plus a new tread with a lower ground pressure. Anyway, I think we'll put well over 3,000 hours on the AT before we have to replace them or retread them.

I didn't know until recently, but these are retreadable. I got a picture emailed to me of retreaded McLaren tires. Seems this will add few extra hours on the top, but I still have to find out who can do it locally. Good luck! :usflag:

Here is the picture of the McLaren tires been retreaded. I'm not sure how many hours they put on them before they did the retread...

Scag48
03-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Interesting, didn't know the Nu-Airs could be re-treaded. My dad needs new tires for his skid this year and I'm doing a little research to figure out the best route for some new shoes.

ksss
03-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Seeing that they are retreadable about cinches the deal. We have a retreading plant not far from here. That in my mind makes them about the perfect tire. Other than the price. I got a call from Mclaren saying they were on sale now. Still I am not spending 2900 on tires right now, I will make do until were rolling.

Gravel Rat
03-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Any tire can be recapped they buff the surface prep it with the glue and put the new tread cap on.

The only thing you probably won't beable to get a R series tread pattern. In my mind that tread pattern Hillboy has will provide more than enough traction and it won't be jumpy like a R series.