PDA

View Full Version : Possible to get a rash from Red Mulch?

tamadrummer
01-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey all I put down 8 yards of red mulch today. (Timberline Brand) This evening while in the shower, my arms were burning while the soap was on them and I noticed that I have rashy splotches all up and down both arms.

I thought that I read somewhere that the dye colorant used in red mulch was nothing more than iron oxide, and if that is so it shouldn't be anything to give me a rash since for 15 years I worked in the power generation industry and when we would go into the boilers or do work on the engines we would get completely covered in rust and never once did I get a rash.

So in short, has anyone else gotten a rash from this stuff?

grass_cuttin_fool
01-08-2008, 08:18 AM
It might be that your body cant tolerate it anymore and its showing up as a rash now

wayne

AI Inc
01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Its not the dye , its the mulch itself. I used to break out a lot in my framing days just from carrying fir plywood.

capelawncare.com
01-08-2008, 09:32 AM
yep i get it with red mulch

Midstate Lawncare
01-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I got a rash this year from regular mulch. but not red mulch. it only lasted 3 days and was only on my feet.

Marcos
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
A retired fellow down the road from me spent some big $$$ this past fall on some custom-colored mulch that his wife picked out...to complement the colors in the stonework of his home.

I need to get a digital pic of it...The best I can describe the color is 'puke amber' :laugh:

The neighbors and I can hardly drive by the place without breaking up into tears and hysterics !

tamadrummer
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I try my best to talk my customers out of getting the colored mulches and try to get them to go with the mini-bark nuggets.

That stuff is a dream to spread and IMO looks the best of them all for the longest period of time.

This particular customer had applied it on their own last year so they had it everywhere, There isn't a healthy plant in their landscape. It took me hours to get the mulch away from the bases of the trees and plants. It was completely caked on the branches of the junipers. Man, I hope all that work pays off with a healthier group of plants for the year to come.

I have also recommended that they get a turf/shrub fert/pest company to come in and start to turn stuff around.

All in all, the initial look of the red stuff is ok but it wont take long in the FL sun and it wont be looking so good.