PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper 223 Help

pclawncare
01-07-2008, 11:27 PM
over the last few times i have started the machine of which it has set about a week at a time in between but i have noticed a whine but not exactly, like metal on metal lightly. It almost sounds like bearing goin out but this machine only has about 230 hours on it. It is most noticable at idle (with the blades off right after first starting up) i think because the engine is quieter but at full throttle i can hear it also. It seens to be coming from the back of the machine making me think it is something in the clutch. After i start the blades and let them run for 10 seconds or so and shut them down i hear the noise slightly as the blades slow down and the frequency decreases with blade speed yet again making me think it is in the clutch. After the blades have been on though i do not hear the noise with just the machine running. Just wondering what everyone thinks befor i take it in to the shop and it is something simple.

Restrorob
01-07-2008, 11:47 PM
It sounds to me like a bearing inside the clutch is on the way out.

It could be checked if you remove the clutch and spin the rear bearing (closest to the engine) by hand feeling for any stiffness/dragging.

MowerMedic77
01-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I would also take the belt tension off of the pto belt and spin the idler pulleys just to make sure its not a bearing in one of those pulleys going bad. Along with checking what RR suggested of course :)

pclawncare
01-08-2008, 10:02 PM
i happend to be at the shop today and had a few extra min waitin on a guy to show up so i took the back cover off and like you said took the spring off and it appears the idler pully was the culprit while i had the belt tension off i checked another idler pully on the frame and it sounded like it might be on its way out also so looks like it will get 2 new ones thanks guys for all the help

MowerMedic77
01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Glad to hear it was something simple :drinkup:

pclawncare
01-09-2008, 01:31 AM
your telling me