PDA

View Full Version : Tecumseh vs. Briggs & Stratton

Robert Doubrava
10-21-2001, 08:00 PM
who thinks which engine is better:
Briggs & Stratton or, the challenger,

Tecumseh

my rider has a briggs 7 hp engine that is over 20 years old. my grandfathers rider has an 8 hp tecumseh engine, which isnt even 10 years old. it has screwed up more than my old 20 year old briggs has. thats how much more reliable briggs & stratton is over tecumseh. anybody on my side? i hope im not offending anybody who uses tecumseh engines. i apoligize if i am.

John DiMartino
10-21-2001, 08:21 PM
At least 1/2 of what they both make is junk,I wouldb uy Commercial grade engines from either one,if I couldnt get a Honda.

Richard Martin
10-21-2001, 09:10 PM
Robert Doubrava:
i hope im not offending anybody who uses tecumseh engines. i apoligize if i am.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Robert Doubrava
10-25-2001, 12:09 AM
well, the briggs is still going strong, and the tecumseh is still running bad! LOL

Robert Doubrava
10-29-2001, 08:36 PM
oh boy! what a match! briggs is the winner! yeah! :cool:

casey
10-29-2001, 08:59 PM
I've got 3-10 hp Tecumseh's on MTD snow blowers. We put alot of hours on those blowers & not one problem with the engines. New this year a 13hp OHV Tecumseh on a Toro blower.
They seem to make a good cold weather engine.
I believe all our old Lawnboy commercials were a 2-cycle Briggs. The machine allways fell apart around the engine. That engine has made me as much $$$ as Kohler&Kaws.

thelawnguy
10-29-2001, 09:16 PM
Only a matter of time before that Tecumseh snow king launches its rod thru the block.

casey
10-29-2001, 11:01 PM
Those engines have made it through 3 rough winters of commercial blowing. Anything I get out of them now is a bonus. They would last a homeowner forever if cared for.

vipermanz
10-30-2001, 03:24 AM
older lawnboys were omc (Outboard Marine Co.) engines , and and my opinion are the strongest in their horsepower range (3-6)
the F-Series are my favorite lawnboy engines

Robert Doubrava
10-30-2001, 08:03 PM
arent lawnboy engines 2 strokes? oh, by the way, anybody heard of the new briggs 6 horse snow blower engines? they are pretty cool!!

vipermanz
10-31-2001, 03:10 AM
the 2cycles are made by lb,the four cycles are tecumsehs in green, 2cycle is much better as far as power goes over a 4 cycle

MOW ED
10-31-2001, 10:12 AM
Tecumseh is junk and the Company doesn't care.

I had an 8hp throw a rod (as was stated above) after no more than 10 hours of HOME use. Just out of warranty.

Tried to contact the company by mail, no response X2.

Went to EXPO in Louisville and there it was big as $hi+ was the Tecumseh booth from the size of the booth and the amount of jokers supposedly working in it, I can see they have a marketing department similar to Tru-Brown Scumlawn. After walking around trying to talk to a rep. (all of them were busy talking to each other) I found the clown in charge of the Snow King engine line. His first name is Steve and I wont put his last name here but I have it but I will post his e-mail address for those of you who want to send an e-mail off into Never respond land. steveditter@compuserve.com
He told me that there were some engines built that began to throw rods. It seems that the air pressure was not right on the rod cap wrench on the assembly line and some of them were bad. He said to contact him after I get back from expo and he would "take care of me".

Well he "slid it to me". No response. I had to shell out another 400 bucks to make the thing useable agian, for how long I don't know.

If Briggs had a replacement for me I would have bought it in a heartbeat but one thing is for sure. I will NEVER EVER own a Tecumseh P.O.S. again.

Robert Doubrava
10-31-2001, 01:31 PM
im with you! i would never buy tecumsehs at all.

Alanky
10-31-2001, 10:54 PM
Between the two briggs is the winner, hands down:) Ed is right the tecumseh people dont seem to care! When the 8hp tecumseh blew on my rider they just basically said oh well and it was under warrenty. When I first stated the go-kart thing I put a 5hp Tecumseh on it and blew it just running it at about 4500 RPMS. The 5hp briggs on it now turns 6200RPMS and hasnt had any major problems yet. Never again will i own one of those POS engines:blob1:

casey
10-31-2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by vipermanz
the 2cycles are made by lb,the four cycles are tecumsehs .

The new 2 cycles are made by LB (Duraforce). The engine preceeding the Duraforce was, I believe, a 2 cycle Briggs.

vipermanz
11-01-2001, 03:30 AM
Duraforce is just the name like honda gx series

casey
11-01-2001, 08:26 AM
& I thought Duraforce was a ham sandwich.

Robert Doubrava
11-01-2001, 01:28 PM
anyways, i like 4 stroke engines better. no mixin' oil in the gas.

awm
11-02-2001, 09:43 PM
the only tecumseh i would want would be one my mechanic rebuilt out of the box.he knows what to do to make them last.
but advises just get briggs to start with.

Robert Doubrava
11-06-2001, 01:42 PM
i might not be a mechanic, yet, but i know not to buy tecumsehs at all with the problems we have had with them.

Cerwinvega
12-13-2005, 07:04 AM
I have owned many different small engines, and although I do like Briggs & Stratton. I would take a Tecumseh over a Briggs & Stratton. I am not a mechanic, but small engines has been a hobby of mine. Why do I think Tecumseh is better. Well Briggs & Stratton has a stupid pull start system. I couldn't tell you how many times I have yanked my arm outta my socket from the recoil Bearings sticking! Specially when it's a really cold winter day. The grease makes the bearings stick and they don't fall into place. Tecumseh on the other has never failed to pull start. Also I do not like some of Briggs & Strattons carburetors and their govenors. I have seen a 5hp Briggs lock up because a piece of the Governor broke in the Crank Case and the Governor gears ate it. Also many Briggs & Stratton have the gas tank built onto the carburetor, you have to replace your entire carburetor to get different gas tank. I had a Tecumseh engine that was nearly 21 years old before it died and it only need regular maintenance. Overall I think Tecumseh simply looks better, Now I know it may seem that I hate Briggs & Stratton, but i don't. They make some nice engines like their Raptor Racing engine and the vanguard engines. None the less I still like Tecumseh better and Honda better then both of them!

lawnboy dan
12-13-2005, 10:41 AM
tecumseh is now shutting down usa plants and now they will be built in brazil.

lawnmaniac883
12-13-2005, 03:44 PM
They will go from bad to horrible now...

Restrorob
12-13-2005, 08:08 PM

No matter where they are built they will still be known as Junkcumseh.

lawnmaniac883
12-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Guess we know where the master mechanic stands on the subject :p

Travis Followell
12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
What company even puts Tecumseh engines on their equipment? I never see them. I know Lawnboy and Toro use them but who else?

I would take a Briggs anyday.

Restrorob
12-13-2005, 10:21 PM
What company even puts Tecumseh engines on their equipment?

I havn't seen any on lawn tractors lately, Mostly go-carts and mini-bikes.
Briggs had too many law suits and stopped selling to manufacturers of yard carts and mini-bikes.

Cerwinvega
12-14-2005, 12:31 AM
What company even puts Tecumseh engines on their equipment? I never see them. I know Lawnboy and Toro use them but who else?

Wide range of Go-karts
YardMan, MTD, - Snowblowers, Wood Chippers,
Poulan - snowblowers
Troy Bilt - snowblowers - wood Chippers
TiTaN - Industrial Generators

(These are new products)

Tecumseh even makes electric motors, Air conditioners, water pumps etc.

Buy a Tecumseh - Them Indians were hard to Kill :gunsfirin

newz7151
12-14-2005, 01:56 PM

Most of your go-carts,(the ones not using a Robin or the chinese Honda knockoff). Probably going to see Tecumseh on a large number of new MTD products since the Briggs buying Murray thing came about. Also see Tecumseh's on things like augers. You might even see some Tecumseh's on the cheaper "commercial" riders and walk-behinds. Most people (residential) when they buy a mower don't even know there is a difference in the engine brands, they think the whole thing is a Craftsman, or a Murray.. or whatever brand the store they bought it in sold them.

Jay Ray
12-20-2005, 07:50 PM

Nothing against the Brazilians, but anytime there is a major shakeup or move, and the high level corner office people spend a lot of time on the production floor, the product suffers. Thanks for the warning Dan.

lawnboy dan
12-20-2005, 09:09 PM
another casualty of nafta. i guess.i think sears has kept techumche going almost by them selfs over the years but now i see more and more chraftsman with briggs

AintNoFun
12-20-2005, 09:31 PM
all of our snow blowers have tecumseh, knock on wood they've all been running great for years.. but on the other hand we have 3 vbox spreaders all with briggs and suckin's on them.. out of the 3 over the past 3 years i think i've replaced 3 or 4. they don't seem to last..

AintNoFun
12-20-2005, 09:33 PM
or the chinese Honda knockoff.

funny you should say that.. the pep boys by me just started carrying generators, pumps, compressors, etc. and all the motors look identical to the hondas, right down to the colors and stickers. any feedback as to if they are just as durable?

J & B Lawncare
12-20-2005, 09:44 PM
I have used and still have both make of engines on my equipment. While I have busted some of the briggs they were all my fault. The Tech seem to fail from useage. I still buy both till I see a drastic fall off in quility.

J & B

Restrorob
12-20-2005, 10:57 PM
funny you should say that.. the pep boys by me just started carrying generators, pumps, compressors, etc. and all the motors look identical to the hondas, right down to the colors and stickers. any feedback as to if they are just as durable?

These knockoffs are called PowerTrain, We have sold quite a few generators and engines as well and they seem to be holding up pretty good. One 6.5 hp is on a flat plate compactor and gets the dog run out of it and hasn't came back yet. So I guess we will find out how good they really are.

blue_steel2
01-14-2006, 05:26 PM
I own 5 Tecumseh and 13 Briggs four cycle engines manufactured from 1962 through 2005. HP range from 4 to 16 and all are maintained equally to the best of my ability. They are on tillers, a generator, a go-kart, walk behind mowers, push mowers, snow blowers, leaf blowers, pressure washers, etc. (I also have one Honda and one Robin-Subaru which are fairly new, but are initially exhibiting the highest quality and reliability).
The 13 Briggs have suffered from a few rotten mufflers due to rust, one carb rebuild, two broken pull start cords and one cracked plastic gas tank. Thatís it.
The 5 Tecumsehs have suffered from FAR TOO MANY PROBLEMS. Three broken pull starters, two failed electric starters, numerous valve jobs, numerous carb rebuilds, countless quarts of burned motor oil, one connecting rod/piston/rings, two head gaskets, two kill switches, one choke lever, one intake manifold gasket (in the middle of a terrible snow storm when I really needed the snow blower) and a few other problems I canít recall.
Based on the money and time Iíve spent repairing the Tecumsehs, I can honestly say, without a doubt, the Briggs have been far more reliable. My family members also have various engine brands and their experience has been similar to mine. To me, itís like comparing a Lexus to a Yugo.
Also, the transmission in my walk behind, belt driven Gravely failed last summer. I was not surprised to see it was manufactured by Tecumseh.

Redneckn
01-16-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm not a huge briggs fan, but I'd rather have the Briggs over the Tecumseh any day of the week. The only way I'd pick the Tec. is if the other option was some junk put out by Honda.

trent515
01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Well, I am certainly in the minority here. After a bit of experience, I can say that non-I/C grade Briggs engines are not worth their weight in dung. We had an old Montgomery Wards with a Tecumseh that lasted 25 years until we finally sold it. We replaced that trim mower for our yard with a cheap-o Murray with a 4.5HP Briggs, and after two years, it's now sitting in my garage, waiting for a rebuild (or the trash truck). I have found that parts for Briggs are pricey too. But there are so many of them out there, fixing one WHEN it breaks isn't bad.

flman
01-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Briggs is far better than Tecumseh in a fair comparison.

Tecumseh's future is quite bleak.Outsourcing and building out of the country is only a short term fix to their demise. The peerless line of transmissions is the only means of true profit for them.Word has it that Briggs was looking to purchase them just for the Peerless line before the Murray bankruptcy. Tough business!:cool:

newz7151
01-27-2006, 12:56 AM
We replaced that trim mower for our yard with a cheap-o Murray with a 4.5HP Briggs, and after two years, it's now sitting in my garage, waiting for a rebuild (or the trash truck).

Pay cheap, get cheap. How the heck else do you think they can sell a whole mower for $99 when the engine alone is at least $150?

J&R Landscaping
01-28-2006, 05:34 PM
IMO,
Briggs engines are good in the summer for any type of use. A lot better than tecumseh. For snow engines, Tecumseh snow king engines are pretty decent but I always find the NEW ones are hard to start in the cold after sitting for a while. The older tecumseh engines that have been run in a bit seem to start and run ok!
I would choose a summer engine in this order: Kawasaki, kohler, Honda, Briggs and stratton and in dead last Tecumseh.
For winter I would rather have a 2 stroke engine for a snowblower rather than a 4 stroke but if it had to be a 4 stroke, it would be a Tecumseh. If the engine was for a spreader or something that would run a lot it would be a Honda!
Just my $.02

Smalltimer1
01-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I havn't seen any on lawn tractors lately, Mostly go-carts and mini-bikes.
Briggs had too many law suits and stopped selling to manufacturers of yard carts and mini-bikes.

MTD puts them in the White line of lawn tractors now as twin cylinders.

Smalltimer1
01-28-2006, 07:58 PM
At the local Cub dealer, the top mechanic there told me he thinks the Tecumsehs are better designed than the Briggs and says he never has had many come back in. I'm not sure why he would say that, but my best guess would be that they sell very few of them, that the ones that don't come back in have either been worked on outside of the dealership or junked.

From my personal experience, I have only seen ONE Tecumseh engine that has been good, that being the HH-100 cast iron engine with ball bearings on both sides of the crank, electronic ignition (first to have it in a small engine prior to 1970, IIRC), and a fully integrated electric starter, which was rare back in the early days of riding mowers.

Briggs are fairly easy to work on and they have a lot more tolerance for being out of adjustment than Tecumsehs. The Tec's have to be dead on to run.

My personal favorite engines are the K-series Kohler cast iron engines. They are a piece of cake to work on and last damn near forever. They also make more torque than most newer engines of significantly higher horsepower.

As far as new engines are concerned, I like the Kohler Commands as well as the Briggs Vanguards. They run smooth, have plenty of power, and last good as well.

I really have never liked the Hondas and Kawasakis because of their complexity and having to buy special tools just to work on them. The high price of their parts doesn't help their case either IMO. I had a Honda HT-3813 and 3810, both of which ate their starters, and at $350 for a new starter, they certainly didn't become my favorite. The other thing about the Hondas and Kawasakis is that they are higher revving engines and make the HP on the top end, rather than having torque at the same rpm's the Briggs and Kohlers do.

Restrorob
01-28-2006, 08:18 PM
From my personal experience, I have only seen ONE Tecumseh engine that has been good, that being the HH-100 cast iron engine with ball bearings on both sides of the crank, electronic ignition (first to have it in a small engine prior to 1970, IIRC), and a fully integrated electric starter, which was rare back in the early days of riding mowers.

I just gotta agree with you on this one. I have owned 5 Sears Suburbans with the old HH100 and HH120, I have sold all but a 1969 model with the HH120. You just can't kill these old ones.