PDA

View Full Version : Getting Through The Winter

BOBCAT36
10-21-2001, 07:13 PM
HOW DO YOU GUYS MAKE IT THROUGH THE WINTER THIS IS FIRST YEAR FULLTIME. I NEED SOME HELP:blob2:

LoneStarLawn
10-21-2001, 07:28 PM
Most of the members plow snow.

We try to fill in with tree trimming and landscape installs.

awm
10-21-2001, 07:41 PM
i dig in an work where an when i can. stretch the dollar an sometimes borrow money. still lookin for that filler.
handy work just not enough.

Shady Brook
10-21-2001, 08:23 PM
Down in Atlanta you probably will not make much cash in the snow bus. What about landscapeing, I would think you could do some of that through the winter. Maybe you can offer special deals for those who have work done in the off peak time. I have heard some guys do presure washing. I know that bricklayers need men to wash their brick homes after they are built to clean them up for the new owner. Perhaps you could contract some contractors and do construction site debris removal for them. A dump truck would be mighty handy for debris removal. If you have skills, market them, maybe you can find a business owner that could use a bright and motivated man, even if he knows it is only for a few months. Just to find a dependable worker means alot to me, and I assume to others as well. You could start year round contracts if your area allows for it, and break up your monthly payments and spread them out over twelve months, and ask for the first payment and signed contract soon to help you survive. Just some thoughts, hope all goes well for ya.

Jay

steveair
10-21-2001, 08:47 PM
Hello,

this topic always hits a soar spot in me....as I hate to see guys suffering all winter and then start in spring time with a pile of bills that doesn't get paid off until fall and then, again, go through another winter broke.

The way I see it is you should be thinking about what you are going to do in the winter in the Spring, not 1 month before.

You really should be planning for a 9 month, 8 month, 10 month, or whatever it is season. If you aren't then, shame on you. It's plain and simple. Make enough money during the season to cover your expenses in the winter.

I bet you work 60,70, 80, or whatever the hek it is hours a week during the season. If you look at your hours worked during 9 months and compared them to working 40 hours a week for 12 months, I gurantee they are equal, and in all liklihood, even more.

Why can't you make enough in 9 months to pay for 12?

The answer is you can, and thats the way it should be approached.

I am looking forward to winter. I have all my finances set, and whether It snows or not, I know I will not be scraping the bottome of the barrel com Feb. or March.

Hopefully it will snow this winter and I won't have to tap into my savings as much and be able to start next year with a few new toys.

Proper planning is the key.

steve

kutnkru
10-21-2001, 09:20 PM
I do as Steve says and plan accordingly for the winter months by taking a modest salary that basically divides the weeks profits in half during the warmer months.

I like to keep things such as Holiday Lighting in mind for late fall revenue. In your area you could try to line up some mulching jobs that could be done when the ground is not frozen (if it does??? -LOL!!!). You could also try doing some chore type business tasks such as custodial or window washing, you could check into minor plumbing, carpentry if you are knowledgeable.

You just need to expand your horizons and let your clients know that you are "on-call" for their needs during these off months. Advertise for interior plant maintenance. If you had a source for annuls that you could get color into office complexes you could keep extremely busy.

Good Luck!
Kris

lawnboy82
10-21-2001, 09:25 PM
I would say to look into doing some tree work. Maybe do some cleanups. Also find people who want to clean out their garages, attics, etc.

Mowingman
10-21-2001, 09:49 PM
I put away enough money during the main mowing season to cover my expenses during the off season. I am pretty worn out by the end of leaf cleanups, so I like to sit on my butt and relax for a few months. I go to the shop when I feel like it and get equipment ready for start of next season. I usually have a few calls from customers for misc. cleanups, etc. and that keeps me busy about 1 day/wk.
Two good temp. jobs for the off season are being a substitute school teacher, and driving a school bus. I have considered these jobs, but really need some downtime in the winter.:)

hustlers
10-21-2001, 10:25 PM
no work,

except 6 wks missionary work in warm mexico

Im so busy in summer i dont have time to spend money.
The break is needed, so i can relax, take care of my
body, equip, family
By March im begging to get back to work with lots
of motivation and energy to burn