PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a standard flower bed design?

Tallkracker
01-08-2008, 12:09 AM
If a customer gives you an invitation to revamp there existing flower bed or asks you to create a new flower bed for them and they have no input; they just tell you make it look nice, do you guys have a standard layout for a flower bed where you prefer to use certain plants, or do you experiment or truly customize every bed?

radracer
01-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I usually start by asking if they have a favorite flower or color that they like. If they don't and they aren't wanting anything extravagant, I usually suggest a day lilly (ming toy, stella dioro) or african iris boarder with something like a double roebelleni surrounded by aztec liriope or some ruellias. It just depends on the shape and size of the beds. I hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

Rad

allinearth
01-16-2008, 07:41 AM
I try to make all my designs as origonal as possible. I do have favorite plants and combinations though. I am always looking and studying for new ideas to incorporate. I get tired of seeing the same old thing. I think some people do too.

joshua
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
color year round if possible or color from early spring until as late in the fall as possible. also plan for the plant to grow.

backors
01-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Standard -- never. You have to look at the design ops in each situation:

Sun or shade?
What color brick / exterior of the home? What colors will look best with it?
Where are the windows? How far above the bed? What rooms lie inside these windows?
Pets?
Kids?
Who is going to maintain it? How much complexity can they handle?

This is just the start. Make each landscape work for the customer and help build your reputation as a designer.