PDA

View Full Version : Who Double Cuts?

RickR1818
01-08-2008, 01:20 AM
Just wanted to see how many of you actually Double Cut your customers lawns? I know it is supposed to be good for appearance, but I can't see how anyone could make any money cutting a lawn twice.

mowing grass 1111
01-08-2008, 02:36 AM
i will double cut spots that may need ( grass clumping up in spots) it or if the lawn was not mowed the week before

Swampy
01-08-2008, 02:57 AM
A. It helps disperse the clippings. Some times its more cost effective to double cut a area instead of running back to the shop to hook up a vac system.

B. Appearance. It can give you a checker board look.

IN2MOWN
01-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I double cut only when I leave excess grass clippings on top.

supercuts
01-08-2008, 08:05 AM
A. It helps disperse the clippings. Some times its more cost effective to double cut a area instead of running back to the shop to hook up a vac system.

B. Appearance. It can give you a checker board look.

dont think hes asking why, hes impling you dont make much spending all the time doing it and i agree. its a waste of time, yes it looks much better but IMO most customers really dont care. they only time i go back is for very think, clumpy grass. if its a real large amount, they get billed extra.

LawnSharks
01-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Only when needed (clumpy trimmings, customer wants defined stripes or checkerboard) in Spring and Summer. In the fall we'll mow once, mulch the leaves and then run back over the lawn with a catcher to suck up the excess. Looks much better but does double your time.

Roger
01-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Several years ago, in my early years of business, I double cut often. But, I have learned to cut, with a bag, if clippings are going to be a problem.

No, it was not the clippings laying out on the open places of the lawn, rather it was dealing with clippings in the beds, on walks and driveways, and places where I (and the customer) did not want clippings. Double cutting can rid the open areas of excessive clippings, but one still has to deal with the clippings where they are not wanted. Usually, if the open areas have excessive clippings, then the turf around tight areas of beds, walks, etc, will also have excessive clippings. Blowing them into those areas then requires time to mow in a different pattern, and/or to spend extra time with the blower to get rid of them (and never do a good job at getting rid of them out of mulched beds anyway).

With all the extra time of dealing with the clippings, plus the time of double cuts, and already having a system to bag other places, I learned to just put the bag on and go. Yes, it is more work, harder work, but in the long run, more productive use of my time.

lawnpro724
01-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Spring is the only time we double cut and that is only if it really needs it for appearance's sake.

NBI Lawn
01-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I own Toros so I have to double cut often. Especially in the morning when there us dew on the grass.

I had one residential that wanted double cut and bagged every week. Took me 9 hours to do it myself but it was worth it come bill time. He always was the first to pay too. I ended up letting him go as a customer, could rely on one person for a full days work. If I would have pissed him off or something would have happened I would have been looking for 10 more accounts just to fill that time. Also, my insurance only covers $10 million in damages. With my luck I would hit a rock, knock out a window which would hit a candle off a table burning the whole place down :cry:. Couldnt risk it, it was kinda nice showing up at one place and staying there all day though. Unload once and I was all set.

gandk06
01-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Only when I need to. Time is money. When I do double cut though the second takes about half the time as the first pass. No need to spend the time with making the first perimeter pass, don't have to be as careful going around trees... And they do get billed for a double cut.

Meg-Mo
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
We use to but since we invented the MEG MO blades we have not even catch any clipping for the last 10 years,

gandk06
01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
We use to but since we invented the MEG MO blades we have not even catch any clipping for the last 10 years,

WHAT??????

Meg-Mo
01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Go to the video on our web site and see what they will do.

MJS
01-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I double cut every one of my accounts that has fescue; the rest don't really seem to need it i.e Zoysiagrass cuts well the first time.

bigclawnman
01-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I double cut every one of my accounts that has fescue; the rest don't really seem to need it i.e Zoysiagrass cuts well the first time.

How does that work out for y ou .....I have seen some advertisement for it......you recommend it?

Exact Rototilling
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I own Toros so I have to double cut often. Especially in the morning when there us dew on the grass.

I had one residential that wanted double cut and bagged every week. Took me 9 hours to do it myself but it was worth it come bill time. He always was the first to pay too. I ended up letting him go as a customer, could rely on one person for a full days work. If I would have pissed him off or something would have happened I would have been looking for 10 more accounts just to fill that time. Also, my insurance only covers $10 million in damages. With my luck I would hit a rock, knock out a window which would hit a candle off a table burning the whole place down :cry:. Couldnt risk it, it was kinda nice showing up at one place and staying there all day though. Unload once and I was all set.
Did you cut it with Toro 21" SR4 mulcher, Bigger WB or ZTR?

How big of a lawn area was it? 3-5 acres? I'm assuming you hauled all the clipping away.

Last year on a bid I saw a solo LCO make a huge pile of clippings on his trailer. Must of been 5+ cubic yards of grass. :hammerhead:

freshprince94
01-08-2008, 04:34 PM
i used to double cut but realized it's a waste of time in my opinion. i don't let the grass grow that high where it needs a double cut.

lawnjockey56
01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
ill double cut if they double pay-and p.s. meg-mo blades blow

humble1
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
if there are clippings and clumps i ask the customer would you like to upgrade to bagging so your lawn doesnt look like this? They say how much more, i say 40% more to bag and take it away, they almost always say go ahead. Its funny how clumpy a yard looks when you cut it first thing in the morning when its still wet

DoetschOutdoor
01-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I find myself having to double cut less now that I upgraded my older wb to a new ztr...we will see how it does come spring time but most lawns dont get tall enough to need double cutting anymore. Some yards, I have and always will double cut just because of the neighborhood and how it makes the front/side lawns look so much better. Average double cut on several very nice accounts only takes me about 5 minutes so its not really affecting much. Once I get the first pass done, I can fly through the 2nd pass. I also have a few customers who get quality fert. on a good schedule and water at least 2 times a day that I can not simply get by with only cutting once. This usually only goes for the front lawn but even cutting at 3.75 or 4", a few still need double cutting.

carcrz
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I only do it a) when needed due to excess clippings, or b) they are paying for the extra service.

MJS
01-09-2008, 11:35 AM
How does that work out for y ou .....I have seen some advertisement for it......you recommend it?

I would recommend double-cutting Fine Fescue, because if your blades are anything less than razor-sharp, it just doesn't cut that well.

Not sure exactly what you were asking. . . Hope that answers the question.

LawnsM
01-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Double cut all the time for appearance sake. Lawns here are usually super wet and out of control in spring. Does everyone charge for this service or is it just something you have to do?

bigclawnman
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I would recommend double-cutting Fine Fescue, because if your blades are anything less than razor-sharp, it just doesn't cut that well.

Not sure exactly what you were asking. . . Hope that answers the question.

Was referring to the zoysia grass that you had mentioned. Seen some advertisement for it. How does it hold up? How is it too mow? Maintain? How does it look? ETC......Thanks for the reply though.

J&R Landscaping
01-09-2008, 09:07 PM
I'll double cut a lawn in the spring if the growth is really large from one visit to the next. If it becomes nessecary, I will start cutting the property in closer intervals. For me, its an as needed thing only.