PDA

View Full Version : do any one have there wifes help or work for you

Harrington Landscape
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi I am just seeing how may of you other lawn company's have there wife work or partner with them. we have been working side by side for 4 years now and love it. We have had small disagreements the past but nothing like last year we hired 3 full time employees and it was bad. Now we took a step back and got rid of our west side route and all three employees and now we mow 65 places in 2.5 days our selves and the rest of the 3 days are for our construction and odd jobs we pick up. Just seeing how other company's do it. I would not have it any other way We love it.

bohiaa
01-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I have a buddy that only services around 50 lawns, it's him and his wife, he doesnt take on any NEW accounts, and there happy as a lark.

Like you, he got larger and hired employees and it drove them CrAzY.
so they downsized and now are loving life...

txgrassguy
01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
The issues/problems with my wife and I had nothing to do with my company.
That said, she was a limiting factor towards the business growth.
Now that she is no longer involved, and hopefully in one more month no longer my wife,
both my business and I are much happier.
Best year in terms of gross sales when she was around was $284K. In '07 I was nudging mid six's and '08 looks even better yet.

IN2MOWN
01-08-2008, 02:19 PM
No, there has to be seperation between work and home for both of us.

barefeetny
01-08-2008, 02:29 PM
my wife is a full time mother who happened to get a degree in accounting prior to 2 small kids (almost 2 and 4 months)

She handles the phones, the bills, the mail, and all of the accounting...

her plate looks fuller then mine

Nate

Exact Rototilling
01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
I have plans for my wife to help me on Monday only since she works part time and that's one of her day off. It will be out quality time together. ;)

What I have often wondered is how legit this is since she's family. What about workman's comp etc.? I don't have workman's comp? I have no current plans to hire employees - ever. I did plan on having my son help me when he gets old enough.

Harrington Landscape
01-08-2008, 06:19 PM
we are co owners in my business.

1cooltreeguy
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
we are co owners in my business.

we are all c-owners as far as the law is concerned..LOL - 50-50. Seriously, my wife is awesome. she handles all the bills and there are alot. Handles the checkbooks and there is alot. keeps me organized -etc... A HUGE HELP.:usflag:

LindblomRJ
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
My wife is involved in the business. She is involved with major decisions. She takes care of billing. She will help once in a while on project. Every once in a while she goes mowing with me.

I make the intentions clear... I try to make the instructions clear as well. If that is done it saves on the fights.

iamthelawnman
01-08-2008, 11:34 PM
my wife started working with me about nine months age and it has been very good for use. we love it and their always the chance of a quickie.. just kidding:dizzy: but yes we work about 11 hours in the summer for 6 days a week and would not change it for the world:hammerhead::drinkup:

tjsquickcuts
01-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I think its a great idea to have your wife involved in your business just incase anything happens to you, and she needs to keep the business running. I do agree with txgrassguy, my wife was also holding me back from really growing, but after allowing her to really get involved, she realized just how much this business was worth and how much money we could generate and she quickly changed her mind and has allowed me to really grow our business. We are expecting our 4 child this summer so, she will be on the sideline for the rest of the year. Now I dont think I could work hand and hand with my wife around the clock. Most days, we dont even see each other until we get home. But having my wife involved really sits me at ease knowing that if anything happens she would still be able to keep the operation going for my kids sake.

aperfectlawn
01-08-2008, 11:56 PM
no way; my wife is too slow. I don't need anything to slow me down

lawnprosteveo
01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
My wife used to help me alot. She only helps now when Im way, way behind. She would run the mower and I would trim/edge/blow.. We could knock out 20 - 25 in a day. It is just too tough on her to do it daily though.

Big C
01-09-2008, 12:41 AM
My wife helps with doing paperwork and advertising and promoting the biz.

Harrington Landscape
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
my wife helps with the billing for the summer time she takes care of all that and the deposits for the banking winter time I do all the billing. but summer time we work side by side in all our projects it is nice to have a hard working family business. and our customers love that we work side by side.

Exact Rototilling
01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
OK . . . if your business is a sole proprietor with no employees and your wife is just that ... your wife - is this legit? Insurance, liability etc.

Wife runs a mower - mower throws rock through neighbors window. Damage is over $2,000 your deductable is $1,000.

What happens now? ;)

B_gerrits
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
OK . . . if your business is a sole proprietor with no employees and your wife is just that ... your wife - is this legit? Insurance, liability etc.

Wife runs a mower - mower throws rock through neighbors window. Damage is over $2,000 your deductable is $1,000.

What happens now? ;)

You pay the deductable. The more important question is what these people are doing for health insurance. The buisness would be a partnership both hus and wife are owners probaly need to check the insurance policies to confirm both him and his wife are covered.

Harrington Landscape
01-10-2008, 03:05 PM
me and my wife are the owners and I pay for both of our insurance we both have insurance.

Exact Rototilling
01-10-2008, 05:46 PM
me and my wife are the owners and I pay for both of our insurance we both have insurance.

Am I correct in assuming that you're not a sole proprietor business model?

LawnMastersTx
01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Wife might help out with the books but that is about it. Almost have to bribe her to just answer the business phone if i am not home.

Grits
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Heck no!
I work so I can get away from her!

LindblomRJ
01-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Heck no!
I work so I can get away from her!

:laugh::laugh:
There are days when that happens too. She has a regular job as well.

ponyboy
01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
she does the office stuff phones,mail,bank, bills and a lot more that i do not realize, she has her own co suv she is on the books and insured i am an incorpration. if anything ever happened she would just keep rinning the business the same way except hire somone to do the estimates and she would have to pay the workrers. its great having that trust factor and i know she does what ever she can to benifit our livelyhood

Dunlaps LawnCare
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
yeap she handles all the paper work etc and works part time with me

BeautifulBlooms
01-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Must be a Harrington thing!!! My wife and I have been in business together for 2 1/2 years. I left the golf course maintenance to join forces with here (she had been doing design only but needed to speed things up as there was never enough money to be made from only design). And yep you guessed it we are also Harrington's!!!

Little disagreements arent that bad, but always remember to not take those disagreements to your personal life, they are professional disagreements not personal. I am proud to say 2 1/2 years in business with my wife (hey at leats you both have the same common goals for the business) and we are still happily married (3 1/2 years)

Evans Lawn Service
01-12-2008, 10:17 PM
my wife working with me?. he!! no i love my wife but she is half the speed of smell on anything she does. if i tried to use her for help i would probably have her choked out with trimmer line in the first 2 hours of work:)

Paradise Landscapes
01-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, we get along quite well. I run the Landscape side of things while I have her go cut grass. I plan on helping her when I'm slow on projects. I'm thinking about financing equipment to get us back on our feet cutting grass, and looking for a 6.5 x 14' Open Trailer. I still wish I didn't sell my equipment. I guess we all make mistakes.

I run the business while my mom is our bookkeeper, we are looking at Quickbooks simple start and clip. I make all shots and business decisions.