PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Tach questions?

casey
10-21-2001, 11:31 PM
Quoted $113 Cnd. for a Tiny Tach by dealer.
Will this unit work on a 4 stroke V-twin engine?
My dealer is ignorant.
Thanks.

1MajorTom
10-21-2001, 11:35 PM
Yes, it works off of your spark.
Your ground wire connects to a secure ground. Red wire wraps around a spark plug wire. Thus when engine is running, it will calculate your RPM's and hours.

Eric ELM
10-21-2001, 11:49 PM
It is about $35 US money. I think you can get one cheaper.

thelawnguy
10-21-2001, 11:52 PM
What good is a tach on an engine used for L&G equip? Its governed constant speed, you will know if the governor lets loose lol.

casey
10-21-2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
What good is a tach on an engine used for L&G equip?

Maintenance, has an hour meter.

Eric ELM
10-21-2001, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
What good is a tach on an engine used for L&G equip? Its governed constant speed, you will know if the governor lets loose lol.

You must run Kawasaki engines. You can set the speed of a Kohler where ever you want with in reason. I've heard the problems of speeding up the Kaws.

Richard Martin
10-22-2001, 04:54 AM
thelawnguy wrote:

I can think of a few reasons for a tach. First is some people (me included) just want to know how fast an engine is turning. Second is although an engine may be set to turn at 3600 when it's brand-new over time cables and linkages wear resulting in decreased rpms. It happens so gradually that without a tach you wouldn't even notice it until one day you notice your mower doesn't quite cut as good as it used to. The third reason is the Tiny Tach comes with an hour meter.