PDA

View Full Version : Pins and bushings

Fieldman12
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm replacing the pins and bushings in my 250 II skid steer where the bucket curls. How is the best way to get the bushings out? I know I can heat the surrounding surface and then beat the bushing out. The first one I have tried so far does not want to budge. Wondering if I could take the reciprocating saw and cut a small grove in the middle of bushing. I doubt it would work. I have seen some guys cut them with a torch. I know when putting them back in to let them set in the freezer overnight before beating them in.

xcopterdoc
01-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Use a torch and cut a slot in em, then wack em out. To install, clean the bore with a flapper wheel, put new bushings in dry ice and press em in.

Kepple Services
01-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I just use a socket to get them out on my T300. I have had some not take grease after a bit and had to replace the pins and sleeves. I used a socket that was the same diameter and used it as a drift to push it out. Works good to reinstall it also.

ksss
01-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I like the dry ice trick. I will have to file that one.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
You can try split them with a recip saw or you can take a welder and weld the inside of the bushing if its a steel bushing which causes it to shrink and you can drive the bushing out. To torch them out your going to have to be good and steady. Safest way is try cut it with a recip saw or a small abrasive wheel or air chisel.

Good luck on which ever way you choose its going to be some hard work,skinned knuckles with lots of swearing :laugh:

Fieldman12
01-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, I pulled one of the pins which was no big deal yesterday. As I figured the bushing is very hard metal. I ran a hack saw just across the surface and it did not even scratch it. :)
Seems the majority of people I have talked to say the best way is to cut a groove down the center of bushing with a torch and then drive it out. I have had a few also tell me they have had success with driving them out with a socket. I thought about making some type of puller. I was thinking about taking several washers the diameter of the bushing, run a bolt through them and the cylinder and then come up with something on the other end where I could use the nut to help pull the old bushing out. The pins and bushings are not gone yet (maybe two more years) but I thought maybe this would be a good winter project. I was just worried that if I try to cut the bushing that maybe I would cut some of the other metal as well. I guess I would be okay though because once I got through the bushing it would have to heat up the other metal. I am just afraid that metal may be hot enough by the time I get through the bushing. I take it most of you guys trade yur machines off before you have to replace the pins and bushings?

Scag48
01-09-2008, 07:40 PM
While we're on the subject, anyone tried or own a slide sledge? I figure that would be a real good tool for getting pins out and saving your fingers.

xcopterdoc
01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
After you've done 100's of em you get good with the torch. If ya nick it up a lil, no biggie. Worst one lately was a 300 Komatsu, new bucket pin and bushings, in the field. No press... really sucked! I've used the welding trick with stuck diesel engine cylinder liners.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
You can cut steel with a welder you just crank the heat up to the max and use a 1/8 rod or 3/32s. Trying to pull the bushings out won't really work.

Once you got it split you can take a air chisel and working the bushing out.

Fieldman12
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Looks like a good idea Scag48 but not sure I would have enough room between the quick tach http://www.slidesledge.com/he_video.html

bobcat_ron
01-09-2008, 08:36 PM
That's a hell of a tool.

cat2
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
wow we all need one of those

Fieldman12
01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
A guy could make one pretty easy. Looks like you buy them at the Cat dealer. Did not find a price.

bobcat_ron
01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Hell, it's all Cat equipment they were demonstrating on, must have been a Cat tool at one time.

john_bud
01-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Some people are carefull enough, skillfull enough and steady enough to use a cutting torch. Problem is, I have NEVER found one yet. It really really really sucks when a $3000 swing post casting is F'ed U because some idiot with a stupid grin and no clue cut the bushings out and left a 1/4" deep groove top to bottom in the casting. Especially when the bushings are back cut and now the grease squirts out the groove and not in to the pin.

I use the weld a thick bead around the inside of the bushing and let it cool. They shrink and are easy (well easier) to pound out.

Porta power is the best way to press them out.

Just my 0.02

jb

Fieldman12
01-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, I got both top bushings on each cylinder out today. Took me probably a couple hours to get them out. Ended up just driving them out no problem. Once I had the first one out the second one came out allot easier once i figured out a system. I will start on the bottom part of the attach plate the next week.

YellowDogSVC
01-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I just use a socket to get them out on my T300. I have had some not take grease after a bit and had to replace the pins and sleeves. I used a socket that was the same diameter and used it as a drift to push it out. Works good to reinstall it also.

Has anyone ever tried the grease fitting cleaner like this one?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200130974_200130974

xcopterdoc
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Been using one for years Dog. Works great. I use 3 in 1 oil in mine. Does it work on every fitting? No, but it works on most small joints. Get a big joint on big ex that is locked up and won't take grease, that lil gem probably ain't gonna cut it. But it works great on most every backhoe, skidsteer ect that I've used it on.
I just ordered one of the slide sledges last week. Should be in soon. Looking forward to using it. We've ebben doing alot of attachment swapping lately... hyd thumb off, grapple on, back and forth. Gotta be easier to knock pins out with it.

GradeMan
01-11-2008, 10:21 AM
torch all the way, you get preety handy with it in time,

Fieldman12
01-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I have my two top bushings on ice in the fridge. I also have a couple cans of compressed air I can use if they start to cool before I get them in. I figure if I turn the can upside down it should work pretty well.

xcopterdoc
01-12-2008, 05:52 PM
With that small of a bushing you should be ok. Clean and flapper wheel the bore to insure a smooth entry and all should be well. Hats off to ya on doing it yourself, even if it is a beeeech! With pins and bushings, they can either be a cake walk or you get yur azz handed to ya at the end!

Fieldman12
01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks, I hope the bottom of the attach plate is not too hard.