PDA

View Full Version : Ford f-650

ma5tr
01-08-2008, 08:38 PM
hello all,

I'm looking into getting a new f-650. Just wanted to get some opinions on which engine people think is a better choice...the Caterpillar or the cummins.

Thanks

mike lane lawn care
01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
the cummins has more HP, but the CAT has more torque. both are very proven engines, but i would opt for the CAT engine with more torque, and unbeatable Caterpillar reputation and durability.

BrandonV
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
i have both a ford f750 w/ the cummins and c7500 w/ a c7 cat... the cat is by far the better engine, the torque is unbelievable, runs so smooth you just can't believe. that being said it's $$$ more than the cummings. so depending on what you're doing w/ it, and even though the dealerships try to say that the hp of the cummings makes up for the torque it's a lie, the cat would drag the cummings around the lot all day, cat is also a bit heavier (need to consider that w/ the 650) cummings are GREAT for especially road trucks, but for vocational stop and go stuff, you really want the torque. either way great truck I love my 750, consider getting air suspension though, my kodiak has them and the ford doesn't and if you'll be driving it (not a crewman) you'll thank yourself daily for the ride quality.

Gravel Rat
01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
There is no comparison between the 5.9 Cummins and the 7.2 (C7) Cat. The C7 is a medium duty engine.

First question why would you want to buy a F-650 the medium duty Fords are not the best.

Fordsuvparts
01-08-2008, 09:50 PM
We bought a new F-650 with the Cummins last year and have been very happy with it so far, the only problem we have had is a phantom electrical problem which cause's the batteries to run dead over a 2-3 day period , if you don't start the truck. We have put just over 23k on the truck so far and are pleased with it so far. It has the 7 speed trans.

mrsops
01-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Heres My 650 Great Truck Has A Cat In It. I Also Have 2 F-750 As Well With Cats.

AAXteriors
01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey mrsops.. How do you like your F650? How does it tow? How much of a load can you carry in the truck? I'm really looking into getting a medium duty but cant decide between all the options.

Josh

SiteSolutions
01-09-2008, 07:42 AM
I met a guy last year with a new F-650 dump with the Cat motor, and a new F-350 PSD. He said the 650 got better mileage.

TXNSLighting
01-09-2008, 08:47 AM
my vote is for the cat! every 650 owner ive talked to who has the cummins in theirs says: yeh i like it, its alright. everyone i talk to with the cat, (several more people) Love it! everyone says its so great, and gets pretty dang good fuel mileage. cat all the way!

J&R Landscaping
01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
The CAT is a good engine but check with the dealer about warranty and such. I heard from 2 truck dealerships that the C7 and other medium duty CAT engines are now going to have an Houred warranty along with milage (whichever comes first of course...). If thats the case, better watch idleing and all that.

AtoZ
01-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I was going to buy a F-750 a few weeks ago. I was going to spec it with the 325 hp and 750 lbs torque with the Cummins motor. Reason being parts and maintenance will be lower with the Cummins. Mileage will be decent with about an average of 10 mpg expected. Cat will be slightly lower.

But in the end with a single axle medium duty costing upwards of $70,000 after I equip it - I decided to forget that and buy a real truck... For $20-$30 grand more I can buy a truck I will never outgrow. I am now looking at a Peterbilt with a 15 liter Cat with 400 hp and enough torque to pull anything. It will have a useful life of about 25 years since I average less than 10,000 miles per year...

Just remember whether you go Cat or Cummins they are both good choices. Maximum factory torque ratings for the Cummins - 750 lbs, Cat - 860lbs.

You can get more but you must recalibrate the electronics...

Another thing to remember is that both the Cat and Cummins are small displacement 6 cylinder motors. They are designed to only last so long. They have similar B-10 ratings.

Bottom line - go with what you like. Also one important thing to look at before you buy any diesel engine is the manufactures recommended parts replacement policy and routine service. These are not the engines found in the traditional pickups. Parts are to be replaced at certain mileage intervals and or by the hours. Medium duty and heavy duty trucks are completely different then light duty pickups/dumps when it comes to cost of ownership/maintenance...

ma5tr
01-09-2008, 01:16 PM
just got back from the landscape ontario congress show.....looked a the peterbilts but no cat engine option. what do you guys think of the new smaller peterbilts?

bobcat_ron
01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I wish those little Pete's would have the AutoShift instead of the 6 speed Automatic option.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
You can't get cat power in a new Pete medium duty its a rebadged Cummins. If you are going with a Pete 5 ton go with 8.3 power why buy a underpowered truck.

If I was buying a tandem axle it would be a T-800 Kenworth if not that a Sterling.

For us here a single axle 5 ton dump is useless you can only haul 6 yards and when you have to haul material from a pit 1 hour away a homeowner could have hired a tandem axle cheaper.

Most people where I'am either want couple yards or 12 yards. A 1.5-2 ton is good for hauling the 2-3 yards. Usually want it dumped in a tough spot close to where they want to use the material.

Myself I can't see how you guys can make any money with a F-650 dump especially rated at 25,900 gvw. You want a single axle dump rate it at 35,000lbs so you can actually haul 6-7 yards legally.

ma5tr
01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok,
So I after thinking that I was going to go Ford 650 after going to the show I got to look at a bunch of other trucks. What would you guys do? I like the Cat engine, but the feel/look of the Peterbilt felt like a "real truck". I know Gravel rat is against the whole notion of getting a single axle dump of that size. But for my company it works. I cant go bigger because parking becomes an issue. What truck would you get with what engine.

Thanks

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
If you are really serious about looking at a single axle dump stay away from the Ford. I would look at a International or a Sterling if you can't afford a Paccar truck (Pete KW).

The thing with the F-650 it has a pick up truck style cab on it so the way your seated its not the best for a medium duty truck. You sit in a International or a Sterling and you will see what I mean.

When you sit in the cab you want more of a upright position you have far better visability etc.

Back in the late 90s when Ford used to build the Louisville cab they were far more popular than the F Series cab. You could get a the L series in the 7000-8000 and 9000 single axle truck. Which equaled at that time F-600 and F-700 F-800 and F-900.

Choose what ever suits your needs but like I said the F-650 really isn't the greatest truck.

BrandonV
01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
are the international cabs any different from the fords? pretty much thought they were the same truck being that bluediamond builds them both at the same factory.

mrsops
01-09-2008, 06:33 PM
aax interiors i love my ford f-650 its acually a real good truck strong to i mean sometimes i pull my 21' eager beaver with 2 skid steers on the back so thats like 14,000 pulling and it does it. i have 27,000 miles on the truck now and i had to replace 1 seal under the hood so far so good. i put 6 yards of gravel or top soil even rocks dirt it hauls real good.

gravel rat as for you saying the visability isnt good in the fords i think your wrong about that you are right about the interior being the same as the ford pick up but what does that matter? sterling i didnt like when i test drove them i thought the visability sucked in that truck as for international i think the visability is very good better then the ford i own a international as well and thats a very good truck

J&R Landscaping
01-09-2008, 09:03 PM
The new Freighline M2 trucks have awsome visibility. ETW has 2 of the FL70's and loves them...

ma5tr
01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
hello all,

thanks for the responses. I've been looking through the perterbilt website and noticed they have a hybrid version of a few trucks. What do you guys think about these.....i personally am scared that they wont have the torque that you would need...but I could be dead wrong. Also I think I'm leaning toward a 325 model peterbilt. Prices are reasonable and the peterbilt name is sort of sucking me in. I'm also looking at the gmc, ford, have looked at the sterling and international as well. Basically I'm open to any suggestions.

Just a few questions.

1. should I go manual or automatic

2. Which engine do you think will be adequate for that size truck

BrandonV
01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
hybrids are cool but $, great power

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 10:04 PM
If your going with a Pete spec it with a 33,000lb gvw and 8.3 Cummins power that way you have a truck that will last and have some resale value if need be. As for transmission if you don't mind shifting go with the regular 8/9 spd if you want a automatic try get a autoshift it is better than a Allison.

bobcat_ron
01-10-2008, 09:35 AM
AutoShift rules, just pop the clutch in and out when you are stopped and push buttons for the gears!

I couldn't have passed my Class 1 CDL with out AutoShift.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I still prefer a manual transmission I like to have control. The autoshift does give you more control than a Allison. The autoshift still uses more gear to gear contact over a automatic that uses more fluid power.

hosejockey2002
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I couldn't have passed my Class 1 CDL with out AutoShift

Sure you could. Anyone who has the ability to run equipment can learn to drive a stickshift truck. It's really not that hard with some practice.

mrsops
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
all my dump trucks have allison autos in them automatic is the way to go have ur coffee in one hand and your cell phone or cigarette in the other playing with the radio lol. around me everyone is getting automatics even in the big 18 20 yard dump trucks the reason is there saying alot of guys are blowing the clutchs. i wouldnt buy a manual ever again

bobcat_ron
01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Sure you could. Anyone who has the ability to run equipment can learn to drive a stickshift truck. It's really not that hard with some practice.

No frickin' way, I absolutely refuse to double clutch, and that's where us Canadians would get dinged on.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I rarely use the clutch you float the transmission but you can't do that on your road test you have to use the clutch. Yes you get demerit points when you miss a shift on a road test.

The reason why you see automatics in trucks now is to get drivers easier. A good driver shouldn't ever blow a clutch. I never had a clutch even hot you learn how to drive a truck properly. More fleets are using automatics to they can find drivers easier and cheaper. Talk to most owner operators they all prefer the 18spd manual. You have a C-15 Cat with 550 horse your not shifting that much.

I rather shift and able to have control of the truck than have a computer doing it for me.

hosejockey2002
01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah, the CDL testers here in the states will also ding you for not using the clutch, although a buddy of mine only got dinged two points on his test for not clutching. I learned to drive double-clutching, and that's how I took my test. After a while I learned to float the gears. The only truck I ever drive now has an autoshift, and it works pretty good. I know the guys who drive dumps don't really like them, mostly because you can't start out in a high enough gear to get a good gate spread when spreading gravel.

ma5tr
01-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey everyone. I had a chance to go to the peterbilt dealer in my area today. I cam home not wanting to buy a peterbilt, the salesman had no knowledge of his trucks and there were no other salepeople present that I could switch to...I am keeping faith and going to another dealer tomorrow. But the more i've been looking the more i'm getting confused. So far I have looked at the peterbilt. Gravel rat the 325 only has a fuller 6 speed manual option...what do you think? It also comes only with a paccar engine choice. I've also been looking at Sterling Acterra, The Ford f-650 and gmc 5500/6500. We were also looking at a 330 peterbilt with the 8/9 fuller transmission but are still waiting on a quote. What do you think will give me least problems. This is the first time I will be purchasing a truck of this size thats why i'm getting confused..any HELP would be appreciated.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
A 6spd isn't the greatest its not enough gears for the new engines of today. Then if you ever want to pull a trailer a 6spd has too many wide steps.

Sterling would be a okay choice the cabs are constructed a little cheaply but the rest of the truck is fine.

Here is a 2008 Sterling Acterra with 8.3 Cummins 9 spd it would be something I would look at.

ma5tr
01-10-2008, 09:42 PM
gravel rat...would you go for the Sterling as you posted over a peterbilt 330 with a 8/9 speed manual tranny and equivilent engine?

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I prefer Kenworth I would go with a T-300 over a Pete. Pete dealers have a attitude and the prices of the trucks show it. My first choice would always be a KW second would be a Sterling and third would be International and last would be a Freightliner.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Here is a T-300

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Another T-300

Boycea
01-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Here is a T-300

That is one sexy truck

bobcat_ron
01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Ditto, Kenworths are better looking than the Pete's in that size!

Gravel Rat
01-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I like these old Fords and A model wobblers

mrsops
01-12-2008, 12:39 AM
i like these f-750's because there mine lol

Gravel Rat
01-12-2008, 02:07 AM
They are nice trucks :canadaflag:

The one with the aluminum box a person would really have to watch on how much material you put in it. Get a loader operator that can't count could put 12 yards into that box :laugh:

mrsops
01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
gravel thats funny you said that the first day i got that truck i sat my guys down explained to them do not load more then 6 or 7 yards in this truck. what do they do load in a few inches below the wood had to be 11 12 yards truck didnt dump lol. i can fit 11 yards of mulch in there no problem but for the heavy material 6 7 yards is enough

bobcat_ron
01-12-2008, 04:19 PM
What ya need to do then is paint in very bright letters on both sides of the inside of the box "6 -7 yards ONLY", that way the loader operators can see that from the cab, one of our locals did that to his Sterling and no loader operator ever loaded him with more than the weight that was painted inside.

Gravel Rat
01-12-2008, 08:19 PM
You mean loader operators can read I thought all they could do is grunt and use modified sign language :laugh:

Tandem axle dumps with transfer boxes you can overload them easy they are slightly larger than a regular 16'6" gravel box. Most trucks have them and with a legal load you can barely see the load in the box.

ma5tr
01-13-2008, 02:47 PM
hello again,

got a chance to visit a few more dealers this weekend. From what i've been seeing the Peterbilt seems to have the edge so far based on construction. The frame rails are fully enclosed so all electrical is also fully enclosed, full aluminum cab, rivet construction, handmade. Good engine. I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on one this week. Now I'm just debating the 6 speed manual fuller transmission, or the allison automatic. Also Steel vs aluminum dump box. Thanks for all the input guys!

Gravel Rat
01-13-2008, 06:41 PM
If your going to get a truck get one with a 6spd manual. If the guys driving the truck can't shift a 6spd then they shouldn't be driving the truck.

J&R Landscaping
01-13-2008, 07:09 PM
If your going to get a truck get one with a 6spd manual. If the guys driving the truck can't shift a 6spd then they shouldn't be driving the truck.

Agreed!

As far as bed type, Steel weights more and will rust. I would go with alluminum. It should last longer and be lighter in weight meaning more payload for you!

BrandonV
01-13-2008, 07:34 PM
can you not get a 10 speed eaton? my C7500 has a 8 speed w/ lo & lo-lo (hence 10 speed) and I love it, I tow mostly so I'm a firm believer that you can't have too many gears

Gravel Rat
01-13-2008, 08:14 PM
A professional driver should beable to shift a manual transmission you get a automatic anybody can drive it. When anybody can drive it means you get guys with no experience behind the wheel. A automatic truck is hard on brakes,hard on fuel,expensive to repair. If you were doing lots of stop and go like a garbage truck.

As for the box if your hauling nothing but sand gravel and topsoil go with aluminum but if your planing on hauling boulders and rock go with light steel.

Light steel boxes are okay they are heavier than aluminum of course and they are higher maintenance but they are stronger. If your hauling rock or rip rap etc steel is the way to go. Aluminum boxes are nice they are lighter and less maintenance ie no rust. You can haul rock in a aluminum box but you are going to get dents and cracks. Aluminum boxes are mainly for processed gravel and topsoil. The bad thing about aluminum box is they are light so the truck will ride a little rough. If you get a out of round drive tire your going to get some bounce. I drive tandem axle gravel truck a truck with a aluminum box is a rougher ride over a steel box. That extra weight of a steel box keeps the suspension tame. But that also eats up payload. On a tandem axle a truck with a steel box can haul a legal load. A truck with a aluminum box you have to be carefull not to overload.

Aluminum box is less maintenace but aluminum boxes do get cracks that need to be welded up time to time. If your only hauling gravel its fine but if your hauling rip rap or boulders and you drop one in the box too hard too many times something is going to crack. A sharp pointed rock that is large enough can tear a hole into a aluminum box.

You can put a plywood liner into a aluminum box it helps a little. They also have plastic liners I never used them before.

Alot of guys like a steel box I myself its a hard call. With a single axle your really not into hauling busted up concrete and hauling large rocks.

If your going with a under CDL truck then you will have to go with a aluminum box no questions asked a steel box eats up too much payload. If your going to spec the truck with a 33,000lb gvw then you have a choice you will still get enough legal payload. Almost 100% of the single axle dumps in my area are 33,000-35,000lb 5 ton trucks. It is very rare a 3 ton truck is used. A CDL isn't required in Canada to operate a 2 axle truck with any gvw but most contractors that have a single axle are a CDL driver anyhow.

With the hoist go with a front mount telescoping post hoist don't use anything else. A scissor hoist has no power and those direct lift hoists or variations of its also are no good.

Good Luck on the truck buying

mrsops
01-13-2008, 09:15 PM
gravel rat i cant agree with you more about the aluminum box i mean the aluminum box def is a great idea but i cringe everytime im loading rocks even cement into my truck my back door has dents but my sides dont. so im trying just to haul like you said top soil, gravel,sand, blue stone, shoulder stone in the aluminum bed. I acually was going to put plywood all around the sides and the back door but then im going to adding weight into the truck,with out a doubt it is less maintence with a aluminum box but let me tell you something when it gets scrathed it looks **** **** lol

Gravel Rat
01-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Even with a light steel box I seen hoe operators drop a rock too hard oops theres a dent in the floor of the box. Any time I was loading trucks I would gently lower large rocks into the truck. I have seen guys working on the gov't projects hauling blasted rock in trucks with aluminum boxes getting well abused.

Loading with excavators with a thumb is alot gentler on the box than a loader or backhoe loading a truck. You get some operators that are more in a rush to get you loaded as fast as they can over not damaging the box of the truck. You just cringe when you see a rock bounce off the sideboards or you hear crunching of wood when the loader opertor has hit the side board with the boom on the loader.

A guy I'am working with on a developement he is running the backhoe loading the truck I'am driving. He is a good backhoe operator and he tries to load rocks easily it is tough with the front bucket. One rock I thought the box was going to rip off. Aluminum box got a nice dent. Dump the rocks you can hear the aluminum pealing off the floor of the box :laugh:

With a single axle with a 10 or 12 foot box you have to worry more about the 980-988 Loader operator dumping half the load on the cab guard :dizzy:

Also with the truck make sure you have a tow apron with full air plumbed to the back with a wet line plumbed to the back for maybe future salter/sander etc. If your going to pull a trailer with electric brakes have the wiring for that wired to the back.

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Surprised nobody said it, If it's not a Cat, it's a dog. Sorry Gravel Rat, but after my experience with Cummins' 8.3 at work I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone but my enemies. N-14s, fine. But not the 505s. True, they were in stationary service. But that is like running them on a dyno. Failures started at about 2000 hours. By 4500 hours they were scrapped and replaced by derated Cats that held up fine. In fact, Cat was worried about their engines not having enough load on them. It wasn't that they didn't have enough power, it was that they just didn't hold up. After the change to the Cats we also noticed the fuel use went down.

Gravel Rat
01-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I'am a Cat engine man too but the C-7 is Uhhm so so in the reliability market. Some have had okay success with the 3126. If you buy a Pete or Kenworth single axle 5 ton you have no choice you can only get a Cummins engine.

For a medium duty 5 ton especially a single axle dump with a 33 or 35,000lb gvw I wish you could get 10 or 11 litre power like you used to beable to.

The old L-8000 Fords you were able to get a 300hp L-10 cummins or a 3306 Cat at 300hp. Both excellent engines for that size truck and you could get a JAKE brake etc. The single axle Western Stars I used to drive had M-11 Power the trucks hauled like you wouldn't beleive there was no shortage of power. Put 8-9 yards into those trucks and they hauled like a SOB. They were pretty much a tandem spec'ed truck with a single rear axle.

The Western Stars would run circles around the trucks with 466,3126 and 8.3 powered single axle dumps same gvw. One thing a guy had to be carefull about is snapping a axle even with a 23,000lb rear axle.

Even the Louis 8000 Fords with L-10 power could out run the Louis with the 8.3 Cummins or 7.8 Power.

dirtybiz
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I bought a new F-650 last fall w/5.9 Cummins and allison auto, and it is a great truck. I would highly recommend it, i have a 16' contractors body and can haul about 6 yards of gravel legally, more if law allowed. The cummins is cheaper to fix and when i bought mine the cat's reliability was questionable. I am happy with mine, not the biggest motor in the world, but cheap to fix, and get's the job done. Wouldn't mind if they had turned it up (hp) a bit more though.

R.M Hanson
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
From my experience, please stay away from the small Cat motors (3116, 3126, 3176, C7) and such. These motors are short lived, non rebuildable, throw away motors. They are great on power and fuel economy, but just aren't what your looking for if you plan to have a durable, long lasting truck. I currently own three of these motors, and am looking at repowering one truck with a Cummins in the near future. A motor should last more than 103,000 miles, but it's out of warranty, and I'm done dealing with junk. I've heard several reports of similar experiences with the same engines, so be careful, and do some research into durability. I found out the hard way.

Swampy
01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
From my limited experience. In the service CAT straight 6's are what all the general purpose trucks run from old and moldy 2 1/2's AM general up to the new 7ton oshkosh. Was talking to some of the guys last night, they had a IED go off under the engine of a 2 1/2 wrecker, well it lifted the truck about a foot off the ground and it was still running after taking a direct blast (with two flat front tires) When they got back they ended up pulling a piece of shrapnel about a foot long that pierced into the side of the block and still drove it back to the FOB. Well the mechanics were swapping out the engine the driver and the asst. driver each took a piston as a keep sake.

Now that being said I'd go with the CAT, its tried, proven, and can take bomb blasts (There is only one other vehicle that I know of that can take that punishment is a old Willy's jeep, which was stated in the Army field manual for field fixes after being strafed to patch with axle grease and GI sock). Every 300,000 miles the trucks are torn down and rebuilt but Army mechanics will tell you that its not needed with CAT motors, granted it was the cheapest bid, but was over built for the cheapest bid.

ma5tr
01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
hello Everyone.

Just wanted to know what you all think of this. Ive been shopping around for the last few weeks and this is the best I have done so far with the "pre negotiation" negotiations! 2008 Peterbilt 325, 300hp px-6 engine, fuller 6 speen manual with overdrive, 3 year 150000km warranty bumber to bumber including injectors, turbo, cd player, bench seat with air ride driver seat, windshield visor, bug deflector, chrome package, 35gallon gas tank, limited slip dif, lug wheels in back, are the basics for 47500...just chassis.... what do you guys think?

I've specd a landscape box to be about 10000

Canadian pricing

Thanks

mrsops
01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
that dont sound bad i paid 65,000 for my f-750 a year ago but thats with the 14' aluminium bed

SouthernLandworks
01-16-2008, 09:20 PM
CUMMINS all the way!! Cat's are too expensive and drink too much fuel. Cummins last longer.

Gravel Rat
01-17-2008, 02:31 AM
The 5.9 Cummins doesn't last long in a medium duty it is out of its legue in a heavy truck. The 5.9 or 6.7 really shouldn't be used in a truck heavier than 20,000lbs so essentially a low pro.

You load up a medium duty with a little cummins its grossly underpowered the slow lane is your best friend. When you climb the hills you put it in 2nd gear and hope you don't power out.

The Cummins option is one step above a gas engine in a medium duty both bare minimum and horrible to drive. Only reason to spec a truck with a underpowered engine is because its CHEAP. If your wanting a truck that will be enjoyable to drive then get the largest engine possible.

SouthernLandworks
01-17-2008, 08:43 AM
I've got a buddy with a F-700 with a 20ft. spreader body. Fully loaded or over loaded it totes the load like its not even there, With an automatic trans.

dirtybiz
01-17-2008, 09:51 AM
My ford w/cummins does way better than my buddies topkick w/3126 cat??

ma5tr
01-17-2008, 04:44 PM
hey all!

just got back from the peterbilt dealer and I finalized the deal on the 325. I got the 300hp px-6, manual fuller 6 speed, cd, windshield visor, swan hood ornament, 3 year warranty, limited slip. I feel that I got a pretty good deal.

Now for the dump body....i'm still having trouble choosing a manufacturer. But here is what I want: 18" 2 section fold doen sides, 24" double acting tailgate, slot for 6" wood on siderails, tie down rods, manual tarp, 3/16" floor, 1/8" sides. Pintle hook/brake box, tow hooks on back just incase i ever get stuck and gotta get pulled out, in box lights, and steel construction. You guys think i'm missing anything? Thanks.

P.Services
01-17-2008, 07:25 PM
led lights and epoxy paint not water based

Gravel Rat
01-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Seeing your from Toronto/Ontario why don't you just deal with Del Equipment they can set you up with a box or what ever you need.

ma5tr
01-18-2008, 11:13 AM
helo Gravel Rat,

I really dont want to go to dell, i've heard some bad things as well as some good, but the bad scared me off. I atually have changed my mind once again and think I'm going to go aluminium. I will sheet the bottom with plywood, but I liked the fact that it wont rust and it will look good for awhile. I wont be dumping rocks in the truck or out and I think the payload will be better with the aluminium. Anyways thanks for all yor input!

Gravel Rat
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Out here on the West Coast we have allot of truck body builders but out east I don't know what you have so I can't suggest any.

ma5tr
01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Ok I have narrowed it down to 2 manufacturers for the body; www.eloquip.com or www.twinequipment.com

Eloquip is a little bit more pricey but here are the questions I need you to answer:

1. PTO or electric/hydraulic lift.

2. Eloquip offer a underbody that is constructed with 3"x3" aluminum tubing on 12" centres...twin offers unibody construction as in bigger model dump trucks......it something about the unibody design that I'm scared about...yeah its on the bigger stuff but I just think theres something fishy about it.

ma5tr
01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
hey guys,

just looking for some more input.

1. Any opinions on the electric over hydraulic dump vs the pto dump

I will probably be dumpting once or twice a day. I'm thinking of going pto should I or will it be a waste of $$.

Thanks,

bobcat_ron
01-20-2008, 08:29 PM
An electric would be trashed if you were going to dump that many times, PTO is a wiser and stronger investment.