PDA

View Full Version : building a dream

barefeetny
01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
if you could ask the big 3 and the imports to build you a truck, what would you ask for.

i would love to see a 4 cyl diesel turbocharged in a s/10 tacoma ranger sized pickup. 5 or 6 speed stick and a flatbed/ stakebody/ dump combo...

i wish they would bring back vent windows/ kickplate vents/ and floor mounted low/high beam switches. plain jane interiors no frills work truck

i would buy one if they could make it for under 20 grand

Nate

grassmanak
01-08-2008, 09:05 PM
id ask for a 2 ton truck with 500hp and 1000ft/lbs trq. 30mpg and unlimited warrenty,

mike lane lawn care
01-08-2008, 09:17 PM
GMC sierra 2500 HD with a 400 hp turbocharged Caterpillar engine, 30 mpg CITY, real stick shift, with an auto mode. air ride, so that the truck could increase it's ground clearance for off road trailering.

Petr51488
01-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I think a 4cyl or 6 diesel in a 1500. It'll be out soon from GM

hosejockey2002
01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I think trucks are a hundred times better than those of 30 years ago. Compared to today's they were slow, unreliable and uncomfortable. Having said that, sometimes today's trucks take it to the opposite extreme. For example, I would have liked to have cruise control and heated mirrors. But I don't need or want all the other crap that typically comes with it. Also, I think the truck manufacturers go to extremes to make trucks ******-proof. Just the other day I read about a Dodge that the horn would honk if you put it in reverse with the door open. Come on, any bozo knows you shouldn't drive with the door open, but sometimes it's nice to look out when you're backing up to a trailer. Guess we can thank the lawyers for this one.

Today's trucks for the most part have way more power than they really need. The big 3's diesels have power specs that would easily move 30K plus with the right drivetrains. That power is wasted on either drag races and smoke shows (******ed) or trying to tow 20,000 lbs. (even more ******ed) For the first, get a muscle car or motorcycle, and for the second, get a real truck. There, I feel better.

I would really like to see a 3/4 ton pickup with..

a clean burning direct-injected diesel in the 5 liter range with around 200 hp/450 ft./lb of torque- about like the 4.5 Powerstroke in the Ford LCF

Either a six-speed Allison-type auto or a smooth shifting seven-speed manual, or even an 8 or 9 speed two range tranny.

Storage cabinets built into the factory bed.

Lower ride and bed height than current trucks for easier loading.

New technologies to help keep truck weight down without sacrificing GVWR, to maximize payload.

KTM
01-08-2008, 10:34 PM
IF it was a work truck I would want a drivetrain from a first generation Dodge Cummins. Dana 60/70/80 NP205 Cummins 12 valve. I had a 1990, it wasn't the fastest truck and it would not pull like todays diesel's but it could pull okay and always got over 20mpg. The thing was very simple easy to work on. The downside is that it rode like crap and Dodge's fit and finish wasn't that great at the time, no comfort truck.
I to would like to see a small truck with a diesel. Sprinter van's are supose to get over 20mpg, that engine in a little truck would make a nice commuter and would get great mpg.

bj1bmx
01-08-2008, 10:43 PM
i would want a full size truck with the hauling capacity of an f250 or so. it must have all wheel drive and a hybrid v8 engine that can be switched between work/hauling mode (gas or diesel) and highway mode (switches to 4 cylinders or so). i would want highway mileage to be at 30mpg.

not sure why trucks dont come with AWD, anyone know?

AtoZ
01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
If you want a Diesel Ford Ranger or Toyota - go to Mexico, Central America or South America, everybody and their mom has a diesel Ranger. When I was down in Belize they were selling a top of the line crew cab Toyota Hilux with a diesel and 5 speed manual for $25,000. I wish the US auto makers would bring all their cool stuff back to the US where it really belongs...

talus
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I read in one of my diesel mags that Mahindra was going to start selling pick ups in the U.S. I.m not sure of the specs but figure I'd pass it on.

barefeetny
01-09-2008, 02:28 AM
my fathers 2006 chevy 2500 is space age

that being said i don't think its a truck

its way to smart for its own good

it tells you that your blinker is on if its on for more then 1/2 mile

it tells you that the passenger needs to put a seatbelt on
its a bag of groceries stupid truck

this is why they cost 35000 dollars

its sort of like 15 years ago when doc martins became hip and went from a great affordable work boot to a trendy pile of ****

chevy used to make a decent work truck with a fm radio rubber floor mats
stick and a bench seat in 1500-thru 3500

try walking into a dealership and picking one of them up

maybe you can still special order them

Swampy
01-09-2008, 02:44 AM
I think a 4cyl or 6 diesel in a 1500. It'll be out soon from GM

Dodge came up with the concept years ago and last I heard that Ford will have a model out next year.

SiteSolutions
01-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Well, if we're wishing, the truck i could use every day would tow up to 24,000, payload not that important, box big enough for hand tools and fuel tank, seating for 6, 425 hp, 1300 lb ft, 8 speed Eaton Fuller tranny, 4x4, quiet cab, real Jake brake. Like F-650 capacities with F-450 bed and cab. It would be nice to get 15 mpg. And not too many bells and whistles, easy to keep clean.

I use mine mostly to move my eqpt around. Right now I can really only tow one machine at a time. Being able to move a loader and mini trackhoe, or loader and tractor in one trip would be handy sometimes.

If I need materials, I use the dump truck, trailer, or just order it and have it delivered so I can stay on the job.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Ford does make a Ranger diesel. It is sold overseas. They are even available from the factory with workbeds.