PDA

View Full Version : Stander vs. WB with sulky

Wayne Offiler
10-21-2001, 11:10 PM
Want more productivity for next season, but I'm more comfortable standing than sitting (no ztr).
Have a 52" Bunton Hydro, 18 hp, with a Proslide. With larger tires, I top out at about 5 mph.
Has anyone gone from a WB/sulky to a Stander or Surfer? Much of a gain? Pros and cons of standing riders?
(I suppose my mowing speed would increase some, but would an outlay of $6000 or so re-pay itself?

kutnkru
10-21-2001, 11:14 PM
I would think that you would gain productivity with a stander mostly at the turns. The other factor I would think that a stander might benefit you would be on hillsides.

Kris

lawrence stone
10-22-2001, 09:01 AM
You might be able to get more speed by installing a smaller v belt pulley on the hydro pump.

dlandscaping
10-22-2001, 09:06 PM
i dont have a stander due to lack of a dealer around me but i would like to own one. the z's and walk behinds are all long machines and the stander is more compact. it would fit on smaller res properties better than a walkbehind with a sulky, turning would b easier and steering a stander is easier than pistol grips. also when you are on a sulky the machine pulls you and if you hit a bump u bounce. i think that the stander would reduce the vibration caused by bumps on the lawns and would be more confortable.

LoneStarLawn
10-22-2001, 09:10 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15990

BRL
10-22-2001, 10:38 PM
I stand by my comments. I thought this looked familiar, thanks Alan. I will add that the Stander increased productivity greatly over my previous use of WBs with sulky and is well worth the $$$.

summitgroundskeeping
10-22-2001, 10:57 PM
If you want to stand and go faster, just buy a Grwat Dane 52" Scamper w/velkie. Mine goes 7.5 MPH stock. No joke. I believe a 52" is close to $4,300. But GD's w/bs don't have floating decks. However I have never scalped, but my lawns are generally flat.

65hoss
10-22-2001, 11:50 PM
I email GD yesterday about the speed of the Super Surfer, here is the response to the question of ground speed.

Eric,
The Super Surfer ground speed is 8.5MPH Forward and 4MPH reverse.

Thank you,
Tina Mason
Great Dane Power Equipment
Sales Assistant
Phone: 812-218-7100 Ext: 230
Fax: 812-218-7101
MasonTina@greatdanemowers.com

Yes, you can get a little more speed, but can 1 mph justify the many $000's to get one? Yes in close spaces it probably would be faster and more productive than a w/b, but in regular conditions there isn't much difference. I guess its a personal preference.

KirbysLawn
10-23-2001, 12:03 AM
If you have good knees and back the velkie will be ok. I have the Scamper with velkie and used it most of the day Friday and my knees were killing me all weekend. The stander or surfer will be much better on your knees and back if you plan on using it as your main mower over time.

K9LWT
10-25-2001, 05:52 PM
The stander also goes 8.5mph-it's much more stable than a wb with a sulky.