PDA

View Full Version : How much does this weigh?

Petr51488
01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Anyone have any idea how much this weigh's? Its a little over a full cord of seasoned firewood. Theres a picture of it empty, and 2 with it loaded. The wooden crate must weigh atleast 300 lbs. Can anyone take a guess as to how much weight is in the back? The box is approx 4'x8'x5' If i had this in my 1500, the tires would be gone! This truck is awesome!

ken gustafson
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
If it were hardwood ....like oak about 3700 pounds. Ken

Petr51488
01-09-2008, 12:03 AM
If it were hardwood ....like oak about 3700 pounds. Ken

Yea, its all hardwood. Most of it is Oak, some ash, maple etc..

ATL Lawn
01-09-2008, 07:07 AM
maybe 1700-2100 lbs..

ken gustafson
01-09-2008, 07:42 AM
check this site...in hardwoods...1 cord nothing under 3000 lbs. The site info...
http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html This is firewood ratings and information based on data from : U.S. Forest Products Lab ....and numerous other sources.
In my experience... all of the Oaks, Madrone and Manzanita are very heavy... about 3700 to 4100 pounds per cord. Ken

ATL Lawn
01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
i stand corrected.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 10:43 PM
That looks like the firewood is thrown loose into that box its not stacked or it doesn't look like its stacked. If its not stacked then you don't have a cord.

I used to be in the firewood business and to get a full cord into a P/U truck you need to have the sides in the stake pockets of the truck. The box has to be evenly stacked and you have about 3 foot sides on top of the box rails of the pick up.

When I sold firewood I never short changed my customers they always got a full cord. The wood has to be stacked tight so there is very little air spaces. When you stack wood enough times you can stack a cord quickly when you have a truck with sides. I used to haul wood on a 8x12 flatdeck with 10 inch sides you had to stack it so each row crowned and no pieces would roll off.

Petr51488
01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
That looks like the firewood is thrown loose into that box its not stacked or it doesn't look like its stacked. If its not stacked then you don't have a cord.

I used to be in the firewood business and to get a full cord into a P/U truck you need to have the sides in the stake pockets of the truck. The box has to be evenly stacked and you have about 3 foot sides on top of the box rails of the pick up.

When I sold firewood I never short changed my customers they always got a full cord. The wood has to be stacked tight so there is very little air spaces. When you stack wood enough times you can stack a cord quickly when you have a truck with sides. I used to haul wood on a 8x12 flatdeck with 10 inch sides you had to stack it so each row crowned and no pieces would roll off.

The firewood is loose and it is a little over a cord. Loosely thrown into an 8foot bed comes out to a 1/2 cord. I've stacked it and it comes out to slightly over a 1/2 cord. I give a little extra to all my customers.