PDA

View Full Version : resetting valves on a stihl?

ACA L&L
01-09-2008, 12:51 AM
I think i need to reset the valve on two of my sthil 550's. We have spark, carb is good but they wont start . They have one season maybe 1 and a half of use on them. Anothe lco suggested this may be the case, so i have never done that and was wondering if someone could give me a few pointers.

topsites
01-09-2008, 01:03 AM
I think something else is the matter, but that's just me.

Two Seasons
01-09-2008, 01:41 AM
I'd be surprised if you had valve issues too. Manual says adjust valves at 139 hours. Why 139---who knows.

Check the fuel lines and make sure you aren't kinked anywhere.

ACA L&L
01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Ive checked the lines and filter, maybe i missed sumin.

GravelyNut
01-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Ive checked the lines and filter, maybe i missed sumin.
Try a new plug in it as a cheap check. Valves on them don't go bad often. Second thing to check is the screen in the exhaust. They get clogged often and will prevent the unit from starting. Need to make sure the units aren't being idled for long periods or that the right oil mix is used to prevent clogging.

swim
01-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Try removing and cleaning or throwing away the spark arrester screens.

ACA L&L
01-09-2008, 01:31 PM
screens were taken out the day i bought em. The valves would not be the reason for the blowers not starting? They were getting bounced around in the trailer. I think they may have bounced one two many times? I wont have a chance to get to them until sat am so i will post what i see when we crack that blower open.

Robebob
01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
if it is less than 2 years old it should be under the manufactures warranty, mine wouldnt start after i got caught in a rain heading home from the a hospital job, it had spark when i took the plug out and checked it, but couldnt make enough spark when the cylinder was under pressure. did it get wet driving in the rain? i swaped out the coil with one of my good running units and thats what it was. changed it and fired right up

ACA L&L
01-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Ok Tested both blowers myself, No spark. is there a place online anyone recomends to order a new starter/coil for the BR550 Stihl blowers. There is no way the dealer will warranty this. He just reorganized his biz( i should say stihl pulled there products) so he has his own problems.

GravelyNut
01-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Ok Tested both blowers myself, No spark. is there a place online anyone recomends to order a new starter/coil for the BR550 Stihl blowers. There is no way the dealer will warranty this. He just reorganized his biz( i should say stihl pulled there products) so he has his own problems.
No other dealer for Stihl close by? The warranty is good at any dealer and could save you some $$$$$. List on them is about $103.

ACA L&L
01-15-2008, 10:32 AM
No other dealer for Stihl close by? The warranty is good at any dealer and could save you some $$$$$. List on them is about $103.

Our new dealer that we use said he would check for the warranty. if not he said the part was well over 100$? Anyway its a simple fix, but what would make two blowers in two days do that? I have never seen that happen in over 13 years one a season if that never two in two days?????

Happy Frog
01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Two Seasons;2091453]I'd be surprised if you had valve issues too. Manual says adjust valves at 139 hours. Why 139---who knows. [QUOTE]

They blow in your face at 140, that is why... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just kidding, I don't believe it's a valve issue either. Sounds more like a carburetor problem...

sawman65
01-15-2008, 01:42 PM
the valves need adjusting its part of maintance but as you said thats not the problem. you should have gotten a guage to set the valves with the kit that came with your blowers.one big problem on those blowers is DO NOT LET THE PUSHROD DROP INTO THE CRANK CASE!!!! if you do its a full teardown to get that bugger back out. and the guage is .010 fyi

ACA L&L
01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Both are under warranty. Still cant beleive that both went out at the same time, anyone else have this happen, ever? one was fro 09/07 the other from 09/06. Go figure.

sawman65
01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
they did not go out at the same time they are a year apart. have you called stihl? they had a problem with the coils. you see stihl dont make coils they are outsourced. i have replaced many coils on the fourmix units.

ACA L&L
01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Even though they were bought a year apart, they both failed to perform the function for which they were purchased for THE SAME WEEK. lol I have never had this much trouble with stihl products. The new dealer we are using has been great so far.

big ed
01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
the ignition modules have a lifetime warranty from STIHL. This should not be an issue with any STIHL dealer, although you will have to pay labor if you have them do the work. Good luck!

ed2hess
01-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Even though they were bought a year apart, they both failed to perform the function for which they were purchased for THE SAME WEEK. lol I have never had this much trouble with stihl products. The new dealer we are using has been great so far.
I agree that it is very unusual that both went at the same time. Maybe it was an a temperature or humidity thing?? Or did both take a big impact in trailer.

ACA L&L
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
just the usual bumps and bruises.