PDA

View Full Version : Uplighting Magnolia?

poiuy qwerty
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I "tried" to up light a magnolia with well lights and really did not get the look I was looking for. Any tips on what has worked best?

TXNSLighting
01-09-2008, 11:23 AM
how bout a picture? this is why most of us try to not use well lights...

JoeyD
01-09-2008, 11:30 AM
chances are its not the well lights fault that this doenst look good. It could be that it isnt positioned right or just isnt the right tree for a well light. A pic will better help in giving you the right advice though.

irrig8r
01-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Magnolias and well lights are not a good mix. Too much debris dropping: flowers, seed cones... but mostly big, thick leaves.

If they're in a lawn you might try something else... maybe even downlighting, because they have glossy tops of the leaves, but dull undersides.

If not in lawn, then stake mounted bullets will be your best choice for uplighting, and from a wider angle and out from under the dripline/ debris fall would be better.

TXNSLighting
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
thats why i wanted a picture. i didnt mean it was the well lights fault in general. i mean for magnolias. but yeh anyways. get some pics up.

Pro-Scapes
01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
tex and gregg are both right. Get the pics. Are they small mags? large???? japs??? dwarfs ?

Magnolias are TOUGH to light. The fall out from them is insane and your lights often become buried very quickly.

on my last project I just placed a couple of bullets near the trunks of some drawfs just enough to graze em softly to show they were there. Then lit the ligustrums behind it for a little back lighting as well.

JoeyD
01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
thats why i wanted a picture. i didnt mean it was the well lights fault in general. i mean for magnolias. but yeh anyways. get some pics up.

Yeah whatever Ryan, your one of dem Par haters I know!!! LOL

trailboss
01-09-2008, 08:23 PM
It's hard to uplight some of these because the light doesnt travel well up through the tree and the larger leaf ornamental type trees are easy to get hot spots on. Therefore, I usually step away from the tree a little and use a broad spread bullet to cover as much of the canopy as possible.

Pro-Scapes
01-09-2008, 09:03 PM
it all depends on the current size of the tree. Keep in mind you will need to move and add fixtures as the tree grows.

I did a larger magnolia as a demo and placed the lights closer to the trunk and it looked pretty good as well. Inside there is not as many leaves as the outer edges of the canopy. the trunks and many brances lit from within but the leaves and such created a very dramatic silohette. wish I had a pic

ChampionLS
01-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Hahaha.. Magnolia trees=lots of thick leathery leaves. You need a pole with a nail to pick em up.

NightScenes
01-10-2008, 08:49 AM
I light a lot of magnolias and the best way is with bullet lights. You will need at least an FMW to do it well depending on the size of the tree. You will need to place the fixtures about 6' beyond the drip line of the tree and aim them up the sides almost like your grazing the tree. This will set off the orange under the leaves and make the tree look like it's got some gold on them thar branches.

I'll try to round up some shots.

TXNSLighting
01-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah whatever Ryan, your one of dem Par haters I know!!! LOL

ha!! only a little...you can thank chris for that...