PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla tailgate lift = scam!

Jason Rose
01-09-2008, 12:24 PM
What a load of crap this product is! I bought the set last winter to *hopefully* take the weight off of my trailer gate. Before I had an EZ gate, which is a one sided setup, and it just didn't have enough umph to do the job. From all the ads I see the gorilla lift looked to do a better job with heavier gates since it's on both sides. Several LCO's around town have them as well, I guess I should have asked them first!

1. I have mine installed as the instructions said too, yet it does NOT take the weight off the gate as advertised. I ended up drilling 3 sets of holes in the sides of my gate, going progressively further up the side of the gate till I reached their "maximum" that have in the instructions. It's still a load to lift, and no way can you "flip it up with your foot".

2. The plastic or nylon rollers are a JOKE. Who the he!! thinks that those are a "good idea" to use with a braided steel cable under high tension running thru them at strong angles??? Needless to say, after only a few months one of my rollers stopped rolling and the cable soon sawed right thru it and the metal pin.

3. replacing the rollers... Lets see, they are cheapo nylon... I guessed maybe 2.5 to 3 bucks each, I'd just buy a set. NO. Just the roller is $7.95! The roller with the pin is $8.95 EACH! I don't even what to know how much they are going to charge me for shipping on top of that!!!

Oh, and I was told on the phone that they are SUPPOSED TO BE REPLACED EVERY YEAR! Actually MORE OFTEN if it's used a lot! :dizzy:

4. I have one cable (the same side that burned up the roller) that started fraying out in the middle of the cable, right above where it goes into the roller, about mid summer. I thought that maybe the frayed cable and the trashed roller were related, but the 2 never come in contact... (the frayed part dosn't pass thru the roller). I thought about telling her that on the phone, but I was still in shock over the price of the stupid rollers!

Come on people, get real... And they don't even have any alternative rollers, like aluminum or stainless ones that would actually LAST.

Anyone else been victims of this company??? I'd like to just have my old EZ gate back now! Unfortunately it was on my small trailer which was stolen this last fall! :angry:

rjgolfer
01-09-2008, 01:02 PM
LCO here in town highly recommended the Elegator lift system. I bought one but havn't installed yet...ping me later I and I will tell you how it works.

www.gate-flexor.com

racer56
01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Our new trailer is a Masey sold at KC Trailer hitch and they are great guys. The lift they have is 2 small springs on the gate hinge itself. No stuff in the way on the rail and looks and works good. They also have the best deal on trailers in the KC area. We bought a loaded 6.5x12 for 1295. Like I say this thing was loaded for that money. I think the base unit is around 700 or so. I can get the number if you would need it.

bowhunter74
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I would like that # please.

Grits
01-09-2008, 08:53 PM
You should have made one yourself. I made mine for about $60, and I guarantee it is tougher than most on the market.

Jason Rose
01-09-2008, 08:54 PM
I wish I had explored other avenues for a gate lift myself... The springs are nice, but only really work for a trailer already built for them. My smaller 6.5x10 trailer has these springs (a PJ trailer) and it works pretty well. Drawback is the large gap that is required between the gate and the trailer deck because of the room the springs need. Almost had my foot in there several times!

bowhunter74
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Do they have a website?

racer56
01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
No website that I know of anyway. This trailer is built different I guess as the gate is right against the trailer bed itself. If I knew how to post pictures I would. This puter and me sometimes have to have words :hammerhead:.

bob
01-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Before I had an EZ gate, which is a one sided setup

Thats what I started with, one E-Z Gate. Then I added another and now I can flip the gate (5') up with my foot.

Jason Rose
01-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Thats what I started with, one E-Z Gate. Then I added another and now I can flip the gate (5') up with my foot.

That was my original thought, to just add a second one... But ONE EZ-Gate was about $180, and a set of the Gorilla lift's was about $180... So I opted for the G.L., then I could put the EZ on the other trailer, a win-win for the same price, I thought...

bowhunter74
01-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Can you post the # for KC Trailer hitch? I looked online and didn't comeup with anything.

racer56
01-10-2008, 02:30 AM
816-373-0001
The name is Truck Trailer & Hitch Centers
11602 Hickman Mills Dr.
Kansas City, MO 64134

Doug is the manager and the guy that sold me the trailer. They also put a hitch on our Dakota in less than 30 minutes. Those guys flat get it done.

GravelyNut
01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
We have the Gorilla Lifts on the trailer at the shop. I installed it and only have one problem with it. It is not letting the ramp all the way down anymore. Without the lifts, it took 2 people to raise the ramp ( 5' X 6' with 2" box and angle a 1/4" thick ). Problem is the ramp is bowing from the loads we run up on it.

paolaken
01-10-2008, 09:04 AM
You should have made one yourself. I made mine for about $60, and I guarantee it is tougher than most on the market.

how about some pics and instructions?

packey
01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I agree the set up on the maxey trailers is awesom. we had sevral at the school district where I worked. and my 6x10 was a awesome little trailer. I just ordered a brand new 83 x 18 foot maxey with 4 foot sides lock box, trimmer racks dual ramp gates one up front on curb side and one rear. Moth have lift assist dual brake axles with 5000 lbs axles break away system bulldog coupler and all led lights. it cost me 2980

topsites
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Well I always used the gate for a workout, figured if I can't lift the gate without assistance then I don't need to be in this line of work :laugh:

Honestly speaking most of those systems are going to disappoint, I did see one here earlier some LCO did a DIY project and it looked promising, but my next problem is doesn't it get in the way?

As for those wheels wearing, that is normal.

I would check with a bearing / spindle manufacturer for replacements, I'm not sure where exactly but maybe something along the lines of Grainger?

grasswhacker
01-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I made my lift out of a garage spring. Works well

GravelyNut
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I made my lift out of a garage spring. Works well

Just takes some experimenting.

My intention with the GL's was to install a turnbuckle on each side. Thus making them adjustable for wear and tear.. And I erred on the size in my other post. It is a 5' X7' ramp.

bowhunter74
01-11-2008, 01:07 AM
816-373-0001
The name is Truck Trailer & Hitch Centers
11602 Hickman Mills Dr.
Kansas City, MO 64134

Doug is the manager and the guy that sold me the trailer. They also put a hitch on our Dakota in less than 30 minutes. Those guys flat get it done.

Do they sell flatbeds for pickups?

vaughnslawns
01-11-2008, 01:18 AM
yes. they do just under $2000.00 i do not care for there people. but thats me.

racer56
01-11-2008, 01:44 AM
The one Dad is looking at is 1800 I think. I think Dad is going to have them custom build one for him at the factory. I do wish I would have had the sides set at 20" instead of a foot. Doug the manager has been real nice to us. Hard to say what makes some folks not click I guess.

2 clowns mowing
01-11-2008, 06:54 AM
both of my trailers have these lifts and both have had extra steel added for we could load bobcat skid loaders and they both lift fine. :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

carcrz
01-11-2008, 07:06 AM
The one Dad is looking at is 1800 I think. I think Dad is going to have them custom build one for him at the factory. I do wish I would have had the sides set at 20" instead of a foot. Doug the manager has been real nice to us. Hard to say what makes some folks not click I guess.

When Doug tells me he has it so I drive up there, then I get there & he doesn't! This has happened to me as well as my grandfather. Grandpa ordered a new wheel & tire for his travel trailer & needed it when Doug said he would have it too. Neither of these was the first time I have had issues w/ them though.

bowhunter74
01-11-2008, 09:27 AM

You might look at Bradford Built they are very nice beds.

Luvs2Play
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I bought this one 6 - 7 yearshttp://www.ballard-inc.com/ezgate.htm ago, ordered an extra set of rollers. Have never had to replace the rollers. Still works good.

http://www.ballard-inc.com/ezgate.htm

Jason Rose
01-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I bought this one 6 - 7 yearshttp://www.ballard-inc.com/ezgate.htm ago, ordered an extra set of rollers. Have never had to replace the rollers. Still works good.

http://www.ballard-inc.com/ezgate.htm

Yes.. Like I said in my post above, I wish I still had mine!

Actually I did have to replace the cable once (not a big deal, and I went with stainless cable) and the rollers still worked, but only because I kept greasing them. The bearings were shot!

nograss
01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I've had mine 2 years and have had to replace 1 clevis pin. I would buy another when I get my 16' trailer. I can put down my 6 1/2" x 4" gate and up with 2 fingers. fast service and Great product. No junk hanging off the trailer or on the trailer.

takinglifeasy
01-12-2008, 12:11 PM
LCO here in town highly recommended the Elegator lift system. I bought one but havn't installed yet...ping me later I and I will tell you how it works.

www.gate-flexor.com

Last year I signed up for TURF. My wife (partner) looks through it and saw the elegator and at Christmas, be it unknown to me, she got me an elegator twin pack. She was told by the company there are weight requirements for the single and twin pack and that the elegator has a 30-day risk free trial. She got the twin pack because she didnít know the weight of our trailer gate. I wasnít too sure about this. We put one on after Christmas. Iím impressed! I have about a week to decide if Iím going to send the other one back or sell it to a friend who wants the one I didnít put on. I know later on, Iíll be getting bigger equipment and beefing up my trailer gate. So right now Iím thinking on it.

rjgolfer
01-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Last year I signed up for TURF. My wife (partner) looks through it and saw the elegator and at Christmas, be it unknown to me, she got me an elegator twin pack. She was told by the company there are weight requirements for the single and twin pack and that the elegator has a 30-day risk free trial. She got the twin pack because she didnít know the weight of our trailer gate. I wasnít too sure about this. We put one on after Christmas. Iím impressed! I have about a week to decide if Iím going to send the other one back or sell it to a friend who wants the one I didnít put on. I know later on, Iíll be getting bigger equipment and beefing up my trailer gate. So right now Iím thinking on it.
GOOD to hear....haven't put my on yet but good to know others like it. I just have an 6 X 10 trailer so just need the one spring....how mine works as well as yours. Thanks for the info!

tomo
01-12-2008, 04:50 PM
hello to all ,
From experience and after inspecting some of the set ups available
Most factory setups r comprmised in design mainly 4 the total cost reason and to be able to produce a standard type product to suit all applications .
In reality this does not always work .
I will give people some ideas that i have found that work well .

1/ gate size 6x5
heavily braced with what r called knees that mount half way up the gate and touch the ground when lowered . By supporting gate in this way the gate does not have to be constructed from very heavy materials .
Therefore gate weight is only minimal and easier on the spring assist and it also works much better .

2/ Rather than use a home made EXPOSED spring encase in a durable tube eg stainless steel . No workers to be injured

3/ type of spring;; a compressed type will out last a extension type spring 10 times easily

4/ the leverage system on available units is a joke the cable exits the spring tube and operates thru a range of below level when gate is down to attempting to pull the gate up when the cable is near vertical .:hammerhead:
Eg 110 degrees of operation
This requires a super strong duty spring to acheive this . The pulling tension required when gate is down is huge , moderate when at 45 degrees and huge again at 80 degrees etc

5/As a result the tiny pulley system does not have a chance or only a small life span

6/ Using a system as commecially available can also require 2x systems ,due to there inefficient design

7/ However this is easily rectified
By changing the pulley system

8/ mount a pulley at the end of the spring tube [tube 12 inches of trailer floor ]
The cable then turns 90 degrees [vertical up] to another pulley located at 4 feet above floor . The cable then turns down towards ramp connection .

9/ Results are that a lower spring tension is required and the pulley wear is little . Also in most situation a single system is all that is needed

10/Pulleys used are cast iron /steel 2.5 inches diameter suit 3/16 , 1/4 cable with a centre shaft size of 1/2 and as u would expect greaseable

11/ If u do not have mesh sides etc a frame bracket could be easily made and installed

12/I personally used a spring made to suit . How? attach cable to ramp and run thru pulley system to a pull scale [measures the weight required ] It will require 2x strong men to then pull on the scale and a third to take the reading . Select a spring with 30lbs less tension than the max reading .
The length of travel will also need to be noted.

A spring assist as per above will last the life of the trailer :clapping:

tomo

Jason Rose
01-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I wish I had taken the time to engineer my own lift... But this was kinda a spontaneous purchace, lol.

I did receive my 4 rollers a couple days ago. One with the pin that I nicely sawed in half... My credit card was charged almost $40 for those 4 nylon rollers with shipping! Of course I'm NOT going to replace them all. I'll just keep a watch on them, as as one quits spinning it will get replaced.

I did notice on their website that it says that NO lubrication is to be used of any kind on the rollers. I *might* have fooched mine up from the get-go because I shot them with fluid film when I put the thing on there. Maybe it softens the nylon or something?

I'm going to play with it tomorrow. Finally got both of the old walkers fluids (all of them) changed out today. Tomorrow looks ripe for backing the trailer in the garage and fixing the gate lift and the brakes (finally)!

racer56
01-13-2008, 05:40 AM
carcrs
Man I hate to hear that about them. They have been good to us and I have sent several folks to them including one customer for his motorcycle. Guess I shouldn't send folks to someone until I know them better. Maybe we got lucky.