PDA

View Full Version : Toro Maintenance Help

chem1
01-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I am finally getting around to some season ending maintenance chores on my Toro Z587 and I need some advice.

First, I can not figure out how to get the dust caps off to grease the front caster pivots. Any suggestions?

Next, I want to flush and change the engine coolant (it is a liquid cooled Kawi engine) but the owners manual says to take it to an Authorized Service dealer. I feel like this is within my limited mechanical abilities, (I found the drain plug on the engine to remove the old antifreeze) but I wonder if there are some special issues with this engine that I should be aware of? The owners manual does not even include directions as an option for this service.

Thanks!

Restrorob
01-09-2008, 08:25 PM
It's pretty straight forward, If this isn't your exact engine you can use this as a guide or post your engine model numbers.

For the grease caps, Some auto parts stores have standard grease cap pliers that will remove them without damage.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FD/FD671To791CoolingSystemFlush.jpg

chem1
01-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks! That is very helpful!

I did take a pair of channel locks and put tape over the jagged ends so I wouldn't scratch the caps up too much, but I could not get them to budge. I thought they might screw into the top of the castor pivots but perhaps I didn't turn with enough force?

The engine in my Toro is the 27 horse Kawasaki. I am not sure of the model #, but the radiator lies on top of the engine. Do I fill the radiator and make sure some flows down into the overflow container to any certain point? There is enough in there now to reach the level of the rubber tube which feeds the oveflow container (~1/2 inch total liquid in the container)

Restrorob
01-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I set the level around one third area in the tank, There should be a filler cap to add the coolant. If for some reason there isn't I guess the only other way is through the radiator overflow hose.

As for the cap, I'm not sure. I don't recall running across one that was threaded.

Here's the right one, Should you have any problems/questions in the future posting all unit and engine numbers saves time.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FD/FD440VThru610CoolingSystemFlush1.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FD/FD440VThru610CoolingSystemFlush2.jpg

Good Luck

tomo
01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
hello, u mentioned u would like to flush the cooling system .
This can be done in 2 ways either a chemical additive eg fill system run up to temp then completely change coolant water .
OR using an adapter for the radiater hose u can reverse flush the cooling system radiater and engine block . The adapter uses shop air and water connections . Use a regulater on air connection to limit it to around system pressure [markled on rad cap typically ] [15psi or so ] The process is that u let the parts fill with water and gradually apply the air . This surging of water air dislodges any foreign particles . Remember to remove the thermostat for this operation .

tomo:waving:

Ridin' Around
01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
I am finally getting around to some season ending maintenance chores on my Toro Z587 and I need some advice.

First, I can not figure out how to get the dust caps off to grease the front caster pivots. Any suggestions?

Next, I want to flush and change the engine coolant (it is a liquid cooled Kawi engine) but the owners manual says to take it to an Authorized Service dealer. I feel like this is within my limited mechanical abilities, (I found the drain plug on the engine to remove the old antifreeze) but I wonder if there are some special issues with this engine that I should be aware of? The owners manual does not even include directions as an option for this service.

Thanks!

You shouldn't have to pull the caps to grease the castors. There is a place to put a grease zirt on the castor. It has been plugged from the factory after they greased it initially. The reason Toro did't leave the zirt/zerk/nipple, whatever you wanna call it, in place is because most guys were over greasing & popping the caps off. This allows dirt in the bearings and was causing more problems than lack of greasing. These bearings are neither high speed or high heat. odds are they are just fine without the addition of more grease. leave well enough alone on that castor!

chem1
01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
You make a good point. When I took the little plugs out of the grease zerk holes I saw what looked to me like some pretty clean grease in the castor. (The machine only has 260 hours on it) I had planned on trying to screw in a zerk to add some more grease, but I think I will hold off for now. I am curious then why Toro decided to add that to the list of regular maintenance procedures they printed in the owners manual, but leave out instructions on how to flush the coolant from the engine. It seems to me that they would be just as concerned with proper maintenance of the enginge as they are with the front castor?

Ridin' Around
01-15-2008, 08:52 PM
You make a good point. When I took the little plugs out of the grease zerk holes I saw what looked to me like some pretty clean grease in the castor. (The machine only has 260 hours on it) I had planned on trying to screw in a zerk to add some more grease, but I think I will hold off for now. I am curious then why Toro decided to add that to the list of regular maintenance procedures they printed in the owners manual, but leave out instructions on how to flush the coolant from the engine. It seems to me that they would be just as concerned with proper maintenance of the enginge as they are with the front castor?

Most of the Engine manufacturers included a different manual for the engine, since Toro offers multiple engine options on most of their frames. You might see if you can get the engine manual. Just a thought. :)

Ridin' Around
01-15-2008, 08:56 PM

I just checked & I have a kohler manual for my engine separate from the Toro stuff.

chem1
01-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Would you get an engine manual from Toro or contact Kawasaki?

Ridin' Around
01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
It should be from Kawi I believe.

chem1
03-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey Restrorob,
Do you have the owners manual pages that show the steps for a radiator flush for a Kawasaki 27 HP liquid cooled engine model number FD750D? Thanks!

chem1
03-26-2008, 11:00 AM
bump

:waving: