PDA

View Full Version : Best Edgers??

rjgolfer
01-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Need to buy an edger....what are the best ones out there??

BentleyOutdoors
01-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Echo PE-230! Cant beat the power, weight, and metal deflector shield. Also 5 year warranty! now no one can beat an ECHO!!

mattmus4357
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Are the Echos really worth what you pay for them? I am wanting to get a new trimmer and edger and I've looked at some of those.

tamadrummer
01-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Echo makes good stuff but if you are using it as a piece of equipment for your lawn business you don't get the 5 year consumer/homeowner warranty you get the 2 year commercial.

SNAPPER MAN
01-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Ya I like my echo PE-230 also. It does a good job and is not very expensive.

Grits
01-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I have an Echo 260 edger. Love it.

SLC, LLC
01-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Little Wonder walk behind edgers. Most people will think I am crazy, but we use them everyday on every single lawn. Best investment!!!

lawnpro724
01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
It really depends on what your needs are. A good dedicated edger will have more power to cut through heavy over growth over sidewalks and driveway's and Tanaka makes the best dedicated edger in the business. If your just wanting an edger to use as a weekly trimmer around sidewalks and driveway's then get a stick edger, any of the major brands will work fine. My preference is to use a dedicated edger in early spring on my properties then maintain with string trimmer the rest of the season.

rjgolfer
01-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Little Wonder walk behind edgers. Most people will think I am crazy, but we use them everyday on every single lawn. Best investment!!!Can you clean up with just a blower??

SLC, LLC
01-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Can you clean up with just a blower??

Clean the sidewalks and drives off???? Absolutely.

BentleyOutdoors
01-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Echo makes good stuff but if you are using it as a piece of equipment for your lawn business you don't get the 5 year consumer/homeowner warranty you get the 2 year commercial.

The dealer does not have to know that you are using it for a business!
:hammerhead:

lawnprosteveo
01-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Echo PE-230! Cant beat the power, weight, and metal deflector shield. Also 5 year warranty! now no one can beat an ECHO!!I agree...you'd be happy with the Echo 230 or 260. I have Shindaiwa's LE 261 and an Echo PE 230. The Echo has held up much better than the Shindaiwa. Id go with the Echo.

Runner
01-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Can you clean up with just a blower??

The answer to this is a big "negatory" ....not...nottative.... negative,....and oh yeah,...no. you are not going to clean off a 1/4" let alone a 1/2" to 1" wedge with a blower. If you are doing edges that have already been done within the last month,...then yes...you'll be fine. But if you are needing to get the work done, then be prepared to do it right,...and efficiently.
This has bee discussed in detail previously many times, and using the search feature, look up the word edger under my name. this will bring up many good conversations about edgers. I will say briefly now what I have always said, and what the vast majority agree with...If you are to buy any ONE edger, buy a wheeled edger. These are the only ones that have adequate power to cut through sod that is thicker for initial edgings, and are the easiest to use for longer periods (10 minutes or more). Now,...you will here argument from some that will say heir stick edger will cut through this and that, and they will...but MUCH slower. Trust me, we run both - for different conditions.
The stick edgers are cool because they are so fast getting them down off the trailer and going, but when you are cutting through a thicker (deeper) edge, they are slower and more fatiguing. With wheeled edger, you have more power and weight pushing down, bt you are not forcing it down yourself like with a stick. Literally, two fingers on each hand sometimes is all it takes to guide a wheeled edger. Anyway, do the search, and you will find good points to each.
Oh, and as far as cleanup? that is all in technique...you need a hula-hoe (no, not a Hawaiian prostitute) - also known as a "scuffle hoe"), and a steel tined leaf rake, and a scoop shovel. Some people just use a flat shovel to cut away the edging, but I like a hua-hoe, better. It is all scraped off, pushed into piles, and picked up. A stiff broom can also be used after the bulk gets pushed into piles if there is alot of slag "debris" down in the gutter. Aftyer it is all picked up, it is all blown out and clean

SLC, LLC
01-13-2008, 11:22 AM
10-4 Runner. Sounds like daily activities around here - except without the "Hua-Hoe"!

rjgolfer
01-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Little Wonder walk behind edgers. Most people will think I am crazy, but we use them everyday on every single lawn. Best investment!!! Mostly blue grass and fesque in St Louis??

WJW Lawn
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Big fan of Shindaiwa Edgers here.

Landrus2
01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Iím a redmax man:drinkup:

dave k
01-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Ditto on the Redmax.

Mickhippy
01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Can you get Atom Lawn Edgers over there? http://www.atomindustries.com.au/#
I just picked up the 2 stroke yesterday but havent tried it yet as I do my edges with roundup. People swear by them over here so I thought Id get one as I may of picked up a couple of new developments with kilometres of edging to be done.
Theres a Honda 4 stroke also but I went the Komatsu for ease of maintenance.