PDA

View Full Version : what's the name of the flowers in this bed

tbettis
01-09-2008, 02:29 PM
looking to build a bed very similar to this?
http://www.danny-newport.com/Pics/NiagaraFalls0805%20113.jpg

can any name any and all the flowers in this bed..its for my personal home

tbettis
01-09-2008, 02:35 PM
looking to build a bed very similar to this?
http://www.danny-newport.com/Pics/NiagaraFalls0805%20113.jpg

can any name any and all the flowers in this bed..its for my personal home

how do you go by making it rise from the bottom like a hill...is it the way you layer the soil.. any insight on how to build something like this would be very helpful... by the way the area im planning on doing is about a quarter of whats actually in the pictures

tbettis
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
the area that i want done is the very last picture on the left with the two boulders and fire hydrant...sorry but it want let me post the one picture because it says the picture was in another thread....so what?
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=194175&page=2

AL Inc
01-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Marigolds in the front, then Coleus (sp?) then Canna behind that. I'm drawing a blank on the yellow mixed between the Coleus and Cannas, it isn't Rudbeckia but something similar. It is possible that the ground is flat there, but the height difference you see is the natural height in the plants. (If that makes sense, lol) Nice mix of plants.

tbettis
01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
the coleus can grow very wild cant they?

AL Inc
01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Yes, they can grow pretty quickly, but not out of control, I would say. We have a more limited time for annuals, so they don't get as much grow time. Most of my annuals are planted in mid May, and our first frost is usually October. The cannas we dig up and store for the winter.

allinearth
01-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Yep, Rudebeckia between coleus and canna. I can't recall the exact variety though.

MassSteelerfan
01-12-2008, 04:32 PM
These are all correct, and the veriety of rudebeckia is Goldstrum.

tbettis
01-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Marigolds in the front, then Coleus (sp?) then Canna behind that. I'm drawing a blank on the yellow mixed between the Coleus and Cannas, it isn't Rudbeckia but something similar. It is possible that the ground is flat there, but the height difference you see is the natural height in the plants. (If that makes sense, lol) Nice mix of plants.

u mean to tell me that the goldstrum are as tall as the cannas?

tbettis
01-12-2008, 06:49 PM
the area that this design is going in is mulched right now....do i need to remove all the mulch and get a truck load of organic soil and spread accordingly. how would i go by building this bed someone... and what would be the best time to start on it..i live in alabama.

treedoc1
01-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Marigold French Durango™ Yellow
Coleus Wizard™ Sunset
Rudbeckia Hirta Irish Eyes
Canna Tropicana

MassSteelerfan
01-13-2008, 04:07 PM
The goldstrum are only up to the top of the foliage on the cannas, they are the yellow flowers.

TheLandyman
01-13-2008, 05:07 PM
wow that bed is great....dont think ive seen anything like that in my area.

Monster Zero
01-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Cannas, black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia fulgida, I looked it up) coleus, and marigolds. Nice.

tbettis
01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
any ideas on how to build it?

FIRESCOOBY
01-13-2008, 06:40 PM
the area that i want done is the very last picture on the left with the two boulders and fire hydrant...sorry but it want let me post the one picture because it says the picture was in another thread....so what?
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=194175&page=2

Depending on how/what you plan on doing around that fire hydrant, you better check local ordinances. Most will not allow ANY planting within 36" of a hydrant and NOTHING to the sides or front. So basically you'll not be able to do anything that will hinder the visibility in the LEAST.

I have cut down or torn out alot of expensive landscaping in my days. Depending on how bad it is we can give none to 3 warnings. If you do something that makes the hydrant less visible, you can be held liable in a civil court if the fire department cannot locate that hydrant because it is obstructed and a farther hydrant has to be used.

Just FYI.

tbettis
05-03-2008, 05:16 PM
here are the updates plus a straw job...thanks guys for the help....one more question for u bermuda guys. i have no irrigation system yet but what can i do to fill in all of those bare spots from the 2007 drought.. do i just need to hit it hard monthly with the 33-0-0. what do u recommend fellas. sorry about the fire hydrant ill keep it in hindsight for the state ordinances.

tbettis
05-03-2008, 05:23 PM
some more pics

tbettis
05-03-2008, 05:40 PM
last one i guess. will post pics in a couple months to show growth of flowerbed.. still need help on lawn though

tbettis
05-03-2008, 06:00 PM
i know the lawn looks like crap but what can i do to make it better

FIRESCOOBY
05-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Looks really good.