PDA

View Full Version : Can I get lazy sharpening blades late in the season??

casey
10-22-2001, 01:25 AM
Does it really matter anymore. The grass will go dormant soon & I'd like to skip a sharpening cycle. Can I?

KirbysLawn
10-22-2001, 01:41 AM
Sure you can. . . . . . . . .

But, I discourage mowing new grass seedlings with dull blades, the sharper the better to cut the grass without pulling or tearing on the blades.

casey
10-22-2001, 01:45 AM
Will it make any difference in the spring?
I'd like to sleep in.

cos
10-22-2001, 04:16 AM
We forgive you!

Runner
10-22-2001, 11:53 AM
Yes, it makes a difference. Leaving the end of the blade torn and not healing the way it should ALWAYS opens it up to potential for disease and fungus problems. A good question would be why wouldn't you want nice clean blades for cleanup. They make a world of difference on leaves.;)

mdb landscaping
10-22-2001, 12:24 PM
sounds like you want to retire early this year? pay somebody to sharpen them instead if you dont want to. unless you mean, you physically dont want to change them. skip them if you must.

dhicks
10-22-2001, 04:55 PM
IMHO the most important cuts of the year are the first and last cut. I'd sharpen those blades. Just think, you will not need to sharpen come spring if you do it now.

Guido
10-22-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by casey
Does it really matter anymore. The grass will go dormant soon & I'd like to skip a sharpening cycle. Can I?

Actually, one of the best things you can do for the lawn this time of year is turn your blades upside down. Sometimes its even sharper than right side up if they had a rough week, ya know?

65hoss
10-22-2001, 08:35 PM
Casey, you've been talking about grinding leaves, well sharp blades help in grinding them up better. I would advise continuing on with the cycle.

Flex-Deck
10-24-2001, 11:41 PM
I think sharp blades in the fall are more important that any time. Leaves are ground better, grass is going to root building and bruising now hurts the plant more than spring, because the plant is then growing and will heal and grow out of any damage we can do to it with dull blades.