PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Tailgate

mark_the_psycho
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Anyone know of a place other than Pick-N-Pull to get used car parts, my tailgate just walked off the other day

mark_the_psycho
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Bump......

mag360
01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
ebay or craigslist. You might be able to buy your own tailgate back :cry:

Mike Blevins
01-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I guess your tailgate was stolen???? Was it a Ford??? There have been alot of tailgate thefts in my area lately. The area news channels say they sell them for around 600 to 800 dollars a piece!

mark_the_psycho
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I guess your tailgate was stolen???? Was it a Ford??? There have been alot of tailgate thefts in my area lately. The area news channels say they sell them for around 600 to 800 dollars a piece!

Are you serious??? I have never heard of someone stealing a tailgate... It's a 99 f250 superduty, people I've asked have told me I'll never find a superduty in a junkyard and that my best bet would be to look for a 150 tailgate. For 6-8 hundered bucks, you'd think no one would both with crawling around stealing cats when tailgates don't even require tools to take

Dirt Digger2
01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
you can find a super duty in a junk yard, i was actually just at one on monday and they had 9 or 10 newer F150's and a few Super Dutys...check your yellow pages, i bet theres more junk yards around you then you know

Mike Blevins
01-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Are you serious??? I have never heard of someone stealing a tailgate... It's a 99 f250 superduty, people I've asked have told me I'll never find a superduty in a junkyard and that my best bet would be to look for a 150 tailgate. For 6-8 hundered bucks, you'd think no one would both with crawling around stealing cats when tailgates don't even require tools to take

I bet if you do a little research you will find that its pretty big business. My local tv news ran a video survellance of a man stealing one in a local business parking lot. It took about 10 seconds. He was driving a chevrolet 3/4 ton pulling a enclosed trailer. They said they were being stolen to be resold in other parts of the U.S. The 600 to 800 dollars sounded high to me also. But if you think about it if you needed a factory color you dont need to paint it. There were 16 stolen in 3 days here. Hope you find out what happened to it.

Uranus
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I got one.

Petr51488
01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Damn! I would have never thought about the tailgates getting stolen. They are expensive though! i got quoted to get a new tailgate painted to match my truck 800.00 (98 Silverado)

Lynden-Jeff
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Major problem around here also. Put a hose clamp around the little hinge peice that usually comes out and you will most likely stop them from taking it. Also try and lock it, but the hose clamp is still a must as many guys will pick the locks.

Cheers
Jeff

DoetschOutdoor
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Yep, definately big business and only getting bigger around here. My buddy caught a low life and his girlfriend stealing his. They called the cops and although him and 2 other people had witnessed them taking it, he had already ditched it by the time they caught up with him. He figured since himself and 2 others had witnessed it and the couple was 2 prior criminals that he would easily win the case and get his money. First, the guy had several other cases pending so he had no court date for the first year. They finally get to court and over half the jury is black. Well trial didnt take too long and didnt go in favor of my buddy who witnessed 2 people stealing his tailgate. Supposedly the other guys attorney was ripping them apart making the jury think the white boys were taking advantage and looking for money...Wont get into the details as to why a jury would not convict 2 blacks stealing a white boy's tailgate. And he got several quotes of more than $1k for a freakin S-10 tailgate!! I think Im going to try that hose clamp trick someone just mentioned...

FearThisDeere
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
That stinks. Just start going junkyard to junkyard. I guess they call them "auto recyclers" now. Tailgates and catalytic converters get stolen around here all the time. Along with spare tires and anything that's not bolted down. We havea lot of small towns surrouned small cities. All the city folk come out here and just take whatever they feel like out of the trucks.

mag360
01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Yep, definately big business and only getting bigger around here. My buddy caught a low life and his girlfriend stealing his. They called the cops and although him and 2 other people had witnessed them taking it, he had already ditched it by the time they caught up with him. He figured since himself and 2 others had witnessed it and the couple was 2 prior criminals that he would easily win the case and get his money. First, the guy had several other cases pending so he had no court date for the first year. They finally get to court and over half the jury is black. Well trial didnt take too long and didnt go in favor of my buddy who witnessed 2 people stealing his tailgate. Supposedly the other guys attorney was ripping them apart making the jury think the white boys were taking advantage and looking for money...Wont get into the details as to why a jury would not convict 2 blacks stealing a white boy's tailgate. And he got several quotes of more than $1k for a freakin S-10 tailgate!! I think Im going to try that hose clamp trick someone just mentioned...

That's frustrating but it lets you know how it is to be on the other side of the fence. White juries used to hold a similar bias (hopefully not anymore in your area).