PDA

View Full Version : aluminum trailers

fastcat
01-09-2008, 10:25 PM
does anyone use an aluminum trailer or no anyone that does. and were can you get them and price range for a 7x16

LushGreenLawn
01-09-2008, 11:17 PM
know, I do not no anyone that uses and aluminum trailer:usflag:

SimonCX
01-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I looked at one online but I can't remember where, it was costly for a 16' or 18'. I think it was about 5k for the 16ft open trailer.

Jason Rose
01-10-2008, 01:19 AM
I know a guy in town here that has one, same size. It's pretty slick, but if I recall, I think he told me he paid 5 or 6 grand for it, and this was 5 or so years ago. He bought it in Florida when one of the turf expos was down there...

For that kinda money I'd go with an enclosed. Unless that's totally out of the question... I'm just not sure what the real benifits of an all aluminium trailer are? Weight, sure, but it can't be that much lighter than steel for the price difference. Yes, it is cool looking, but only if you keep it clean (this one has never been clean).

SpruceLandscape
01-10-2008, 02:16 AM
The other problem with an aluminum trailer is that if something gets bent, your SOL. They are much harder to repair than a steel trailer.

onecross
01-10-2008, 07:17 AM
I have a 16 ft trailer with a steel frame and aluminum deck. that might be an option to look in to.

fastcat
01-10-2008, 11:06 AM
yea i didnt think they would cost that much more. it thought steel prices were higher than aluminum. i think ill stick to steel plus i can weld steel my self.

Grassbuster
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
TRITON makes aluminum trailers

topsites
01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
They are hard to find, you're likely looking at a state wide hunt for a dealer but you should be able to find one within 3-400 miles.

Once you find one take a close look, to me a true aluminum trailer is ALL aluminum, not just the sides or the frame, and I've seen more than a few with wood boards for the floor (which that defeats the purpose as it adds weight). A true aluminum trailer weighs something like 60% less than it's steel-wood counterpart, but they don't use wood for the floor either.
Technically even the rims ought to be, but I'm willing to let that slide :laugh:

Not sure on the math of the weight, but my steel 6x12's curb weight is at least 1,500, a true aluminum one only 6-700, pounds.
My take on it is for a 12 footer it's a good 1,000 pounds lighter, for open.

Cost appears to be about double that of the steel-wood counterpart, at least for open trailers my 6x12 cost 1500 steel, 3000 aluminum, and yes FULL aluminum, frame and sides and floor and everything aluminum.
I just say double that of the steel, make the math easy, you're likely at least somewhat safe with this simple formula.

Most simple repairs like tires a local dealer can help with, other stuff you DIY like wiring and lights, if it breaks.
If you break parts of the frame or the gate you can weld it with solder and mapp fuel, a torch, more than likely you have to DIY there's not many welders deal with aluminum but it's no worse than copper pipes (like plumbing) or a car radiator as far as that goes.
On that note, it is possible a plumber can fix it, on the other hand just don't break it.

You might also check ebay.

GravelyNut
01-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Al trailers are harder to repair. The only correct way to do a repair on them is SMGW. But most good welding businesses can do it. And you can get a wire feed welder from Miller/Hobart and do it yourself if need be. You just have to practice before starting in on a repair that you have to trust in a safety related area. Metal has to be very clean, unlike steel.

vadeere
01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Al trailers are harder to repair. The only correct way to do a repair on them is SMGW. But most good welding businesses can do it. And you can get a wire feed welder from Miller/Hobart and do it yourself if need be. You just have to practice before starting in on a repair that you have to trust in a safety related area. Metal has to be very clean, unlike steel.

I second this. Aluminium trailersare a good idea in theory not practice for this industry. And yes welding aluminium is a mofo. Special gun and wire.

DuallyVette
01-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Golden Gait trailers on the west side of Charlotte (NC) usually has a selection, some are not too pricy. If you want one rated to carry a car or tractor, It'll cost you. I have a Triton MCTD motorcycle trailer