PDA

View Full Version : 12V "Flicker" type wedge bulbs???

Sudzz
01-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey all,

Anyone know a source for a 12V Wedge base bulb that simulates the flicker of a candle? I've got a customer that would love to put these around their small yard so they are visible from their hot tub. I think it's a great idea but I've looked all over the web and searched this forum and came up empty.

Anyone?

TIA

Sudzz

JoeyD
01-09-2008, 09:54 PM
contact David Geier with Goya Lighting. PM me and I will give you his number. He is a good resource for specialty lamps.

NightLightingFX
01-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't think there is such thing as a low volt flicker bulb. However, I had a project a while back in which I incorporated a flicker flame device that created the desired flicker effect. It has worked great and has been going strong for a year and half. I got my devise from www.northcountryradio.com. All you do is just intersect your fixture lead with the device. I used PVC pipe and end caps to protect the device from the environments.
~Ned

Lite4
01-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Ned, do you have any pictures of this flicker device and the pvc enclosure. I am very interested in this as I have some stone Yukimi-gata lanterns I would like flickering light in.

ChampionLS
01-10-2008, 01:41 AM
You cant make a 12v flicker bulb, because the real ones use Neon Gas. Need about 90 volts to light it up. However you can use a flicker device and an LED type bulb. I've seen LED TIKI lights that flicker. Nothing too impressive though.

irrig8r
01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't think there is such thing as a low volt flicker bulb....

Sure there are. Nightscaping has had two available for years. The first is a wedge base used in a string of lights:

http://www.nightscaping.com/twinklelites.htm

The lamp is an LO659 (Standard 2W Flasher - 50W total per string): T-3 wedge base, 11.8 V, 2.0 W, .80 CP, 2,000 hrs.

http://www.nightscaping.com/linedrw/twinklelites.gif

The second is a "mini bayonet" used for this hanging fixture:

http://www.nightscaping.com/twinkler.htm

LO257 mini bayonet: 11.8 V, 3.0 W, .89 CP, 2,400 hrs.

You can order just the sockets and lamps if you want.

http://www.nightscaping.com/linedrw/twinkler_linedrawing.gif

NightLightingFX
01-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Ned, do you have any pictures of this flicker device and the pvc enclosure. I am very interested in this as I have some stone Yukimi-gata lanterns I would like flickering light in.

Here is a pic of the device. It is 2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. I am sure there is a better way to protect it from the environments I just did what came to my mind first and used the smallest PVC pipe with caps that would work. Go to www.norhtcountryradio.com get the phone number and explain to him what you want to do. They have worked great for my project.
~Ned

irrig8r
01-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey all,

Anyone know a source for a 12V Wedge base bulb that simulates the flicker of a candle? I've got a customer that would love to put these around their small yard so they are visible from their hot tub. I think it's a great idea but I've looked all over the web and searched this forum and came up empty.

Anyone?

TIA

Sudzz

Hey Sudzzzzzzz.... come clean with us... are you a pro or a homeowner looking for tips?

Only one post and no contact info....

NightLightingFX
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I stand corrected, thanks for the tip Gregg. The Nightscaping products might come in handy down the road.
~Ned

irrig8r
01-10-2008, 11:32 AM
I stand corrected, thanks for the tip Gregg. The Nightscaping products might come in handy down the road.
~Ned

You're welcome. Definitely niche products with limited applications, but they are available should you need them.

I've seen a handful of the Twinklers in a small but broad tree...Japanese maple as I recall, and the effect was nice. I've used them in a vined trellis.

They work best in areas with little ambient light competing.

I think they might be nice in an arbor over a walkway, maybe a side path that leads to something rather than the main path. And they probably would work well for adding romance to some restaurant's outdoor dining areas.

Not great light to read by though :)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Gregg... Those Nightscaping lamps are flashers not flicker right?.. there is a big difference in the effect. (Or am I mistaken?)

An on/off flashing lamp will look quite arresting and contrived if used alone. A flicker lamps has the output do just that, it flickers like a flame, never really on or off and seemingly random. The flashing lamp would look okay in groups as long as the sequence between them is not aligned.

I have used many 120V flicker lamps in coach lights, carriage lights and pole mounted lights in the past. Some clients love them others despise them. The only flicker lamps I have found for LV applications make use of a PC board like Ned shows above or are LED units that are not for outdoor applications.

Have a great day.

irrig8r
01-10-2008, 08:26 PM
My mistake James and Ned.

And here I thought a flasher was just a naked guy under an overcoat.

Now I remember. I've replaced a line voltage flicker lamp in a fixture a customer has. It's a giant copper frog sculpture holding a lantern. I uplit the frog for her... very strange looking.

The lamp was in kind of a flame shape, with a metal disc (or two?) as part of the filament... I'd never seen one before.

irrig8r
01-10-2008, 08:42 PM
http://www.yourdailygirls.com/forum/images/smilies/pault.gif

ChampionLS
01-11-2008, 02:24 AM
Here is a pic of the device. It is 2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. I am sure there is a better way to protect it from the environments I just did what came to my mind first and used the smallest PVC pipe with caps that would work. Go to www.norhtcountryradio.com get the phone number and explain to him what you want to do. They have worked great for my project.
~Ned

Ned,

Take that unit and mout it inside a Carlton J Box. Then, install two Heyco liquid tight cordgrips for SJ cord. I'd unsolder and replace the supply wires with SJ cord for outdoor use.

Anthony