PDA

View Full Version : FLAT BED DUMP vs. CONTRACTOR DUMP

Axl
01-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Hey guys I am in the market for a dump truck, I see alot of guys who have flat bed dump trucks.

I was just wondering if there are pros or cons to having the flat bed style vs. a normal contractor style dump body.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2008, 11:30 PM
A dumping flat is more versitile you can do everything with it. Myself I think a flatdeck is a better option you can put any size side on it. When you want to haul palletized stuff or odd shaped loads you can.

AAXteriors
01-09-2008, 11:41 PM
What sized dump truck are we talking about? I would think if your talking about a mid sized truck, wouldn't the removable sides be kind of heavy? I mean to lift manually.

Josh

Axl
01-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Im talking about a F450-550 medium duty

vadeere
01-10-2008, 07:42 PM
A dumping flat is more versitile you can do everything with it. Myself I think a flatdeck is a better option you can put any size side on it. When you want to haul palletized stuff or odd shaped loads you can.

What's wrong w/ you GR? You and I are agreeing on stuff, weird huh. Unless you haul dirt, sand and gravel day in day out, I believe the flatbed is a better choice. One day you can haul gravel, the next implements, put a leaf box on, etc. The flatbed is more versatile a jack of all trades if you will. In addition most landscape materials are bulky rather than heavy meaning you run out of space before you run out of weight capacity. My State Farm agent told me the flat was cheaper to insure, they're all a b!tch but thats another thread. My vote is for flatbed, but I may be partial seeing thats all Ive owned.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Myself I don't haul just gravel and a flatdeck suits my needs better. I was going to get a contractors dump with fold down sides and decided not too.

I started building a flatdeck then sold it I think I will probably build another flatdeck or get my brother to build one in his welding shop.

vadeere
01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Fold down sided mason dump would be my second choice. I cant tell you how much easier having a forklift side load is. For this industry I agree flatdeck is where it's at. Many others seem to agree w/ me by the number I see around here.

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Flatdecks are cheaper too. For a 11 foot contractor dump with fold down sides complete install is 8-9 grand.

Axl
01-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the insight guys, keep em coming!

How do you haul dirt, sand, etc. with a flat bed???

Gravel Rat
01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I have 2x10 side boards and a 2x8 tail board it works good the sides are high enough for the capacity the truck can handle. If you have a 12x8 or 11x8 flatdeck you can overload the truck real easy with gravel. With the 2x10 (9.5 inches) I can get 3 yards heaped on the truck and that is heavy enough. For the lighter materials I had some taller sides but 90% of the time I run 2x10 side boards. I have been doing it that way for the last 15 years it works.

When your hauling gravel you have to get out and pull the tail board out which is no big deal.

AAXteriors
01-10-2008, 11:23 PM
hey gravel rat.. do you have pictures of you rig? thanks.

Josh

Gravel Rat
01-11-2008, 12:03 AM
The deck on my truck currently doesn't dump I haven't had time to build a new deck and mount the hoist. The deck on the truck now isn't built very well it was on the truck when I bought it. I don't have any pictures of the truck.

When you have a full time job it doesn't leave much time to work on my truck.

I started building a flatdeck then I got busy working full time I sold it to a landscaper. Now I may consider building another one because I can't find any used 11 or 12 foot flatdecks that are in better shape than the one I have on the truck now. A brandnew deck is 6000 dollars that doesn't include install etc. I can build my own the way I like it for less than that. It is just getting time to do any thing which I don't have time.

stroker51
01-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Another vote for the flatbed style. I bought my truck with a 12' flatbed with hoist and it had four 1x3's for sides, so about 2' of sideboard. For hauling mulch, tree branches/brush etc. I wouldn't want anything less. I haven't built any smaller sides yet, esp. now that I may be trying to sell it, but when i 'm hauling dirt, gravel, etc. I've just gotta be careful to how heavy I load. When I load with the 325 Deere skid steer, i have a pretty good idea how many buckets of whatever i can put on safely and stay at or under my 15K gvw. (89 Fsuperduty) Another plus to having removable sides, if you do snow you can work with hardly any blind spots plowing with a flatbed. A buddy of mine has a hiniker V on the front of his truck, 10' salt dogg V box on the back of the flatbed, and takes off his 2' sideboards, making it really easy to sling up a couple single stage blowers, push spreaders, and usually 10 of 15 bags of ice melt.

Grassbuster
01-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I have a F350 with a truck craft aluminun flatbed dump and love it. Can put the sides on/off (all home made) in 1 minute.

Gravel Rat
01-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I have learned how to work with 10 inch side boards I can heap a pretty good load onto my truck higher than I can throw. I have been doing rubbish removal for 15 years.

The only thing you have to keep in mind with a dumping flatdeck is keep the loads even. You have to do the same with a contractor dump. A mason dump is more ridgid because the sides keep it rigid.

On a project I'am working on the land owner has a old F-Superduty dump we have put 4.5-5 yards into the poor truck. It just shows you how tough those old Fords are. Must have had 10,000lbs then the developer realized he is killing his truck :laugh:

With a 11 or 12 foot flatdeck you have to judge the amount and weight by the scoop. A 590 Case backhoe has a 1 yard bucket, a 966 Cat loader has about 3 yards and a 930 loader has about a 2 yard bucket.

Axl
01-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Anymore opinions?????

allinearth
01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
I have a 12' bed with 3' steel removable sides. THey are too heavy to remove by hand but if needed I have pulled em off with a skid steer. Mostly used to haul mulch. Got to watch others loading it because if its gravel or topsoil they want to fill it up= way to heavy. I wouldn't be without the 3' sides for hauling mulch though. Reading the comments got me thinking the ideal setup would be to have two different sizes. Maybe a set of 12" and 36" sides.