PDA

View Full Version : 7-way Trailer Plug for F-150

LawnSharks
01-10-2008, 08:49 AM
I just bought an '05 F-150 Super Crew that is factory equipped with a 4-way trailer plug. I need to change it to a 7-way. I went to Northern Tool and bought a 7-way harness that supposedly plugs into the adapter plug that is stock from the factory but my truck does not have the plug-in. How can I splice into the existing 4-way and pick up a line for trailer brakes? Is there a conversion wiring harness that can take it from 4-way to 7?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

grass_cuttin_fool
01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
You are going to need an electronic brake controller also...I took my truck to an RV/camper dealer and got the entire set up installed/purchased for about 150 bux. Parts were about 70-80 bux and labor was the same, that included running a 7 wire harness from the cab to the rear of the truck

wayne

LawnSharks
01-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks Wayne. I was hoping it was something we could do in the shop. I'll send it over there now.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-10-2008, 09:42 AM
You may be able to do it....to be honest I wasnt sure of the operation of the device...how to hook it into the brake and electrical systems ....and when I found the cost of the unit and the amount of the labor....80 bux labor didnt seem to bad.
I dont mind tackling some jobs but the electrical system and the braking system.....I figured I best let some one that knew what they were doing.........do it lol.

wayne

dgZtrak737
01-10-2008, 10:45 PM
This link might help you.
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
If you can do this yourself you will save alot of money. I would also hard wire my brake controller. I have never had any luck with wiring them up through a connector. GOOD LUCK.
Black Wire to battery + with 20 amp fuse
White Wire to ground -
Red wire to stoplight switch
Blue wire to pig tail

grass_cuttin_fool
01-11-2008, 06:47 AM
This link might help you.
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
If you can do this yourself you will save alot of money. I would also hard wire my brake controller. I have never had any luck with wiring them up through a connector. GOOD LUCK.
Black Wire to battery + with 20 amp fuse
White Wire to ground -
Red wire to stoplight switch
Blue wire to pig tail

Thanx for the info dg, I thought it was more to it than that.....not saying that it is that easy but....when I got my system I had nothing to work with, controller or harness and it was70 miles round trip to get the supplies so I let them do it while I was there. I might try to tackle my 2nd truck myself lol

wayne

dgZtrak737
01-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanx for the info dg, I thought it was more to it than that.....not saying that it is that easy but....when I got my system I had nothing to work with, controller or harness and it was70 miles round trip to get the supplies so I let them do it while I was there. I might try to tackle my 2nd truck myself lol

wayne
I dont blame you there.