PDA

View Full Version : hub or T

TPnTX
01-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Here is a job I've got to put in soon. I don't have the exact lengths but the edging on the bed is approx 70ft just to put it into perspective.

I know the hub method is usually preferable. I this case I wonder if a T would be more practical.

BTW, this is my first install. I went to a seminar last year. Im going to another next week. I'd like to get some of the wire pulled before then. I have to go under a sidewalk(sleeved) and the TF is going next to the pool equipment so I have to mount conduit for that as well.

JoeyD
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Hub. Pull a home run/Hub to the middle of the last 4 lights. Hub in the middle of the 2 red and 2 blue lights on the corner. and a hub in the middle of the first 4 lights. Done, no need for a T where you will have to make 2 times the ammount of connections. Assuming you will use fixtures that have 25ft leads you will only be making 3 connections. If you are using 20 watts or less you could probably make larger and fewer Hubs assuming your distances were not to far.

Joey D.

TPnTX
01-10-2008, 10:40 AM
when you say "...and hub in the middle of the first 4 lights"

I want to make sure here. Do one home run to the TF as mentioned.

Then for the first for light will hub together and home run back to the first main hub?

no wait I misread.....forget all that

Pro-Scapes
01-10-2008, 10:41 AM
bingo and dig 1 main artery trench to hide most of your wires in with an irrigation shovel then slit trenches to the fixtures from the hubs.

TPnTX
01-10-2008, 10:43 AM
I got it. I read it wrong

Three hubs/home runs

thanks

Pro-Scapes
01-10-2008, 10:43 AM
when you say "...and hub in the middle of the first 4 lights"

I want to make sure here. Do one home run to the TF as mentioned.

Then for the first for light will hub together and home run back to the first main hub?

no wait I misread.....forget all that

each hub has a homerun to the trans. but you can simplify this by putting them all in line with eachother so there is one trench to dig. follow the lighting curve and dig a main trench. Put any leads you can in the trech and your 3 mains.

Sorry this is the only pic I have of what Im talking about. We dug along the curb to put in all the mains and homeruns. We were also able to put in the fixture leads into the same trench and since it was soft sand it was real easy to get plenty deep. After we backfilled and pulled the mulch back you could not even tell we had been there.

TPnTX
01-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Okay heres what I have. It doesn't lllustrate the trench path but just the hub config.

thanks guys. again that whay I can pull the wire and wait until I go to seminar on the 16th. I think a refresher will do me good.

Pro-Scapes
01-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Okay heres what I have. It doesn't lllustrate the trench path but just the hub config.

thanks guys. again that whay I can pull the cable and wait until I go to seminar on the 16th. I think a refresher will do me good.

you got it! remember to try and route wires out of harms way. and Protect them and make them extra deep at any bed edges or places a lawn edger will be run.

klkanders
01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
TPnTX, Thats the ticket! Like Billy said run all the wire together where you can. The green line looks like a good spot to dig it in as it looks to furthest from planting and edging. Who's seminar are you going too?

Billy, Did you bring that dumpster to the job with you? :) Looks like a nice shack...any more pics? Thanks!

Keith

JoeyD
01-10-2008, 11:44 AM

thanks guys. again that whay I can pull the wire and wait until I go to seminar on the 16th. I think a refresher will do me good.

You got it. Like billy said run all wires in one trench. You should alway burry your wires along an edge as for ease of remembering where they are and also so the homeowner knows that if they ever re plant they will knwo where the wires are as to not cut them.

Pro-Scapes
01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
that building was a project I worked on with Burt Wilson. The dumpster was there becuase the bottom level was washed out completly by Katrina and they were building a resturaunt.

We had a couple of stunning night shots ruined by the dumpster and porta potty.

When running cables on an edge keep in mind someone may bedscape the edges at some point. I never place cables directly in an edge but do try to follow a logical pathway for them.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Billy, do you know Edwin Wright Jr.? He is out of Gulfport and owns Wrightscapes Outdoor Illuminations.

I just connected the two of you in my mind when you mentioned Katrina.

(hmmm I wonder what has happened to the frequency of baby girls being named Katrina since the Hurricane?)

Pro-Scapes
01-10-2008, 08:07 PM
All I know about Edwin is he is a nightscaping man. Is he still working ? I did try to email him at one point I think last year about a prospect who contacted me regarding a service call. He never replied. If you happen to talk to him please give him my email I would love to get together with him sometime. We are far enough away one would be tough to call us competitors

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Edwin certainly still is working Billy. I think he is doing quite well actually. He is an active participant on the Nightscaping Forum: Nightchat.

Next time I am speaking to him I will drop your name and contact info.

Have a great day.

TPnTX
01-11-2008, 06:24 AM
this year it's Vista. Last Year was Cast.

Both hosted by LongHorn Irrigation Supply.

JoeyD
01-11-2008, 10:47 AM
this year it's Vista. Last Year was Cast.

Both hosted by LongHorn Irrigation Supply.

?? Why No Unique??

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 10:49 AM
?? Why No Unique??

I heard unique does do a really good seminar. TP if you go to longhorn talk to rich swor if he is around. He will have plenty of answers for your wiring questions.

klkanders
01-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Sorry Joey I think he might have been answering my question about what seminar he was going too. I attended a Unique 4 hr seminar about 2-3 yrs ago locally at Hydro-Logic. It was very informative.
I see that Nate was close by at the Minnesota Green Expo this week. I went to this Expo last year but decided not to go this yr as you "Unique" guys will be in Scottsdale.

Keith

JoeyD
01-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah Nate spoke in front of I think he said 160 people at the Minn. Green Expo.