PDA

View Full Version : Walker Hydro: DTE 18M?

Jason Rose
01-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Wondering if all walker hydros take this Mobil 1- DTE 18M hydraulic oil? I have an older (1997) machine that that's what the caps say to use... However I'm not sure I've ever seen it sold around here. Walker dealer is about an hour away... Going t be running there to pick up so other parts in a few days, but I wondered if there was a different oil I could use? Dosn't the newer machines call for Mobil 1 synthetic 15W40 (or 50)?

I just want to use what's best for them... They have over 1,000 hours on them now and going strong. Fluid was changed when I bought the machine about 450 hours ago... I'm sure it's "too soon" to worry about replacing the fluid, but it's winter and I'm bored, lol.

Restrorob
01-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Fluid was changed when I bought the machine about 450 hours ago... I'm sure it's "too soon" to worry about replacing the fluid

I'm not sure about Walker's but most other OEM's recommend hydro service @ 500 hrs.....

Jason Rose
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure about Walker's but most other OEM's recommend hydro service @ 500 hrs.....

I couldn't rememember.. but I'd rather error o the low side instead of going way over.

I checked 4 stores locally today and none carry the DTE-18M stuff... (2 farm supply and 2 auto parts)

Restrorob
01-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Jason,

I got the below info from one of Walker's web sites.

The oil in the hydro is its lifeblood. The quantity and quality are imperative. If a hydro is low on oil, you need to ask why. The transmission does not consume oil, so there must be a leak that needs immediate attention. Eaton factory fills the hydros with DTE18M, a Mobil hydraulic oil that may be difficult to obtain. Eaton approves the use of SAE30W or Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil 15W50 - 20W50. We encourage the use of Mobil 1, because of some very positive reports from the field.

Hydrostatic transmissions are a very effective and efficient means of transmitting power with infinite speed selection. Take care of them and they'll keep you mowing.

Bob Tomasek is manager of customer service at Walker Mfg.

You should have no problem finding any of these....

Cya

Jason Rose
01-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Ok, thanks... I ended up having to call the dealer again today to hunt down a few parts, so while on the line I asked them what they use and he said Mobil 1 15w40. Now I think he meant 15w50... Which is pretty standard, Iv'e used that in every other hydro mower Iv'e owned.

lucforce
01-13-2008, 12:44 AM
With no filter on these pumps, I always recommend service more often. These pumps get neglected. If they have not been maintained regularly and the fluid is "black," you are not going to get great results from the change. After the pumps get to a certain wear point they need a more viscous fluid in them. If you change the fluid and they feel "sloppy," change the fluid out again and go with a quality HD30 oil. I like Castrol.

Jason Rose
01-13-2008, 12:49 AM
I just got them both changed today, and both were really not dirty at all! I was happy about that. Of course I didn't see, untill I was already into the project, the the MT I bought this last fall was just changed out about 200 hours ago. The dealer mech. usualy writes on it somwhere in marker when they do a total fluid change. Oh well, at least I have no need to worry about them now for all of '08! The gearboxes on the decks also got sucked out and new lube put in. Figure I have the time, and they are in the garage, might as well do it! I noticed on the MT 48" that the deck winds up a lot easier now with the new lube, even cold, than it did before. Of course what I pulled out of there was pretty dark and about like moleasses! I kinda wonder if it was even the right kinda lube that was in them!?