PDA

View Full Version : Is "winterizing" really needed in these conditions?

Scott_Abel
01-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a Ferris IS1500 that I bought last spring. I am not a commercial operator, and just use it to mow my 5 acres.

I live in Texas and we have relatively short winters. The longest I would go without using the mower is maybe 3-4 months. During that time, it is kept in an insulated garage that probably doesn't get colder than 55-60 degrees.

My question is, do I really need to do any "winterizing" when I put it away for the year? Is it ok to leave the gas in it and just change the oil when I start mowing next spring?

I have learned a lot from this site, and you guys are the experts, so what do you think?

Thanks!

Happy Frog
01-10-2008, 02:47 PM
I would change the oil before the winter to protect the engine from acid contained in used oil...
Make sure you put fuel stabilizer in your gas and run the engine for a few minutes before storing it.

Restrorob
01-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Happy Frog has the right idea, Should be just fine.

jkingrph
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I have been following a simular procedure on all of my equipment for years. I store in a well insulated shed, put a radiator type electric heater in turned to lowest setting and have had no problems. I do use mower more, in fact was out mowing leaves last weekend.