PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys... need answers to question about diesel MPG...

MuleCutter
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
i'm in the market for a diesel truck because my Sierra 5.3 liter gasser is straining to pull my new trailer without my full load. i took it to a weigh station and the trailer with one blower, one trimmer, one gas can, a 36 inch metro, 46 inch Lazer, 66 inch Lazer XS weighs 5400 lbs. i still have to mount my toolbox, 2 trimmer racks for the rest of my trimmers, including hedge trimmers and i have to mount my 2 blower racks and gas rack from my old trailer. with all of this weight compared to my old trailer with all my equipment on it... my mileage dropped from almost 12 mpg to 9.6 mpg. so..... i want to know what kind of mileage you guys are getting with your diesels. i want either a Duramax or a Cummins. considering used but will most likely buy new. if i get a used truck i want nothing older than 2005. i drive a pretty equal amount of city/hwy driving. any information is appreciated... THANKS A MILLION GUYS!!

Kent

NBI Lawn
01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
It all depends who you talk to about this.

I/we have an 06' Ram CTD, 06' Duramax and an 07' Duramax. To be honest they get about equal mileage, ~16 when pulling our lawn trailers. Dodge does get better when pulling but Chev's seem to do about 1/2 mpg better unloaded.
IMO the Dodge pulls better and smoother (when loaded heavy). Chev's are a weee bit faster in stock form 0-60 pulling or not, but I hope your not buying it to race it :hammerhead:. If you were going to get a Dodge I would look for an 04.5 or 05'. No cats on them and the interior is way nicer. My 06' interior is the worst thing I have ever seen, kinda makes me mad its so ugly.
Fords seem to be the only diesel that get poor fuel mileage though I know someone will pop saying their powerjoke gets 20 mpg. I am glad that you are not looking at those. POS IMO

my .02 :cool2:

Lynden-Jeff
01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Fords seem to be the only diesel that get poor fuel mileage though I know someone will pop saying their powerjoke gets 20 mpg. I am glad that you are not looking at those. POS IMO

my .02 :cool2:

Ha, that's funny. Although I have a 6.0L ill chime in anyways. I just got my PMT and my ford tech was saying he was able to do between 18-20 MPG with a fairly full 18ft enclosed trailer chipped. I believe it, with stock I was able to get around 16 with my double axle open trailer with 2 walk behinds and a Z. Even with the issues the 6.0L has had, with the updates they are good engines and have more power then any Cummins Ive ever driven or left in the dust.

Cheers
Jeff

AtoZ
01-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Mileage is a very trivial issue. There are a multitude of factors that effect mileage - idle time, fuel quality, temperature, gear ratio, weight, driving style, flat or hilly terrain - the list goes on & on. I have a buddy that just traded off a mint condition 05' Cummins Ram 2500 with 3.73 gears because he couldn't get more than 15.5 miles to the gallon empty. He was very unhappy with the 05' and bought a 2008 Cummins. I doubt he improved his mileage with the 08'...

If your GMC works and doesn't cause you much downtime keep it - if you have money to blow, buy a diesel. Just remember, picking up a few miles to the gallon has its cost. Diesel trucks are proven to cost you more for maintenance. If something catastrophic goes wrong out of warranty be prepared for a major repair bill. Diesels excel on the highway for towing, gas is great for around town and stop and go. Just my personal opinion. I run 50% diesel trucks and 50% gas trucks. It takes a long time to recoup the cost difference between a diesel and gas truck. Over the past 12 years my gas trucks have consistently costed less to maintain than my diesel trucks.

My 2003 F-550 gets 8mpg towing 20,000 lbs and about 14 empty 6.0 Diesel
My 2007 Dodge 3500 gets 10mpg towing 15,000 lbs and 18 empty 6.7 Diesel
My 2005 F-250 gets 10mpg towing 10,000 lbs and 14 empty 6.8 V10
My 2006 F-150 17mpg on a good day no towing
My Mazda Rx7 10mpg on a good day

Note: All of my mileage #'s are for highway use, my city use would be lower...

I love my diesel trucks but I pray I don't have problems with em...

FYI - I'm looking at buying a 2008 Dodge Cummins tomorrow... My new toy...

Petr51488
01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey, did you get my PM?

AtoZ
01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh - I forgot to mention

I had a 1995 F-250 ext. cab Powerstroke with 3.73 gears. One day I decided to take of the muffler & catalytic converter and reprogrammed with an Edge tunner "tow tune"... I wish I had done it years before because my mileage shot up to around 21mpg empty on the highway and around 11mpg while pulling 10,000 lbs. What a blast to drive!!!

Anyway after I hit about 170,000 miles the maintenance bills were killing me. The truck was costing me about $1,500 to $2,000 a year to cover parts that were failing after the 170,000 mile mark. Parts only last so long before replacement is in order - don't believe me, just look at all the parts that are replaced on Semi's and medium duty trucks at certain intervals... I sold it to a guy in Illinois and bought a brand new V-10...

Looking back I wish I had kept the 95 diesel but at the time it costed to much to keep running...

Lynden-Jeff
01-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh - I forgot to mention

I had a 1995 F-250 ext. cab Powerstroke with 3.73 gears. One day I decided to take of the muffler & catalytic converter and reprogrammed with an Edge tunner "tow tune"... I wish I had done it years before because my mileage shot up to around 21mpg empty on the highway and around 11mpg while pulling 10,000 lbs. What a blast to drive!!!

Anyway after I hit about 170,000 miles the maintenance bills were killing me. The truck was costing me about $1,500 to $2,000 a year to cover parts that were failing after the 170,000 mile mark. Parts only last so long before replacement is in order - don't believe me, just look at all the parts that are replaced on Semi's and medium duty trucks at certain intervals... I sold it to a guy in Illinois and bought a brand new V-10...

Looking back I wish I had kept the 95 diesel but at the time it costed to much to keep running...

$2000 a year doesnt seem that bad, I must spend atleast that on regular maintenance!

NBI Lawn
01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Ha, that's funny. Although I have a 6.0L ill chime in anyways. I just got my PMT and my ford tech was saying he was able to do between 18-20 MPG with a fairly full 18ft enclosed trailer chipped. I believe it, with stock I was able to get around 16 with my double axle open trailer with 2 walk behinds and a Z. Even with the issues the 6.0L has had, with the updates they are good engines and have more power then any Cummins Ive ever driven or left in the dust.

Cheers
Jeff

I knew it would happen. I have owned them all and the Fords do not get that for mpg. I think Ford dealers are instructed to say that they get decent mpg but they dont, plane and simple.

My old trucks:
06' F-350 SRW 9-10 mpg loaded or not, Edge Juice Attitude
03' F-550 10mpg
00' F-350 7.3 on 38's best mpg of them all 12-13mpg

BTW my dodge will blow my old 06' F-350 away in a stop light game. A friend of mine owns it now.

EDIT:
I will add that the 6.0 does have plenty of power and they are great plow trucks but they dont do well on fuel. Great looking trucks as well, they should have refined the 7.3 a little instead of going to the 6.0

MuleCutter
01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
this is the first time i'll (possibly) own a diesel. so what you guys are saying is that i wont really get much better mileage than what i'm getting with my gasser? i love my Sierra and i'm keeping it as a play truck... it's been paid off and i want to have a truck just for work and one to play with. but i thought i'd get a much better mileage with a diesel than i would with a gas cuz of the effortless pulling and i wont be pulling more than 6000 lbs..... ever....

Lynden-Jeff
01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I knew it would happen. I have owned them all and the Fords do not get that for mpg. I think Ford dealers are instructed to say that they get decent mpg but they dont, plane and simple.

My old trucks:
06' F-350 SRW 9-10 mpg loaded or not, Edge Juice Attitude
03' F-550 10mpg
00' F-350 7.3 on 38's best mpg of them all 12-13mpg

BTW my dodge will blow my old 06' F-350 away in a stop light game. A friend of mine owns it now.

EDIT:
I will add that the 6.0 does have plenty of power and they are great plow trucks but they dont do well on fuel. Great looking trucks as well, they should have refined the 7.3 a little instead of going to the 6.0

Well then something must have been differen't because empty, stock in the summer I can hit 19 MPG all the time. This is mostly highway driving, but I have no reason to b.s.

NBI Lawn
01-10-2008, 09:16 PM
this is the first time i'll (possibly) own a diesel. so what you guys are saying is that i wont really get much better mileage than what i'm getting with my gasser? i love my Sierra and i'm keeping it as a play truck... it's been paid off and i want to have a truck just for work and one to play with. but i thought i'd get a much better mileage with a diesel than i would with a gas cuz of the effortless pulling and i wont be pulling more than 6000 lbs..... ever....

Most people buy a diesel truck because they can pull a house not because of the MPG. Once you pull your trailer with a diesel you will never go back. My guess would be you will see 7mpg better pulling with a diesel. Best part is you can pull your 6,000lbs trailer or a 16,000lbs. trailer and it doesnt know the difference

NBI Lawn
01-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Well then something must have been differen't because empty, stock in the summer I can hit 19 MPG all the time. This is mostly highway driving, but I have no reason to b.s.

Hmmm, I must have had 3 bad trucks then. I better tell friends that their trucks (13, f-250's & f-350's) are all junk too. If you are getting 19mpg out of your truck that means you have a range of like 700 miles. There is a reason Ford put the big tanks in the super duties.

CALandscapes
01-10-2008, 09:37 PM
My 06 F-250 6.0L gets 10 mpg pulling 12k lbs. 12 mpg not pulling (city/hwy mixed)
My 08 Cummins gets 8 mpg pulling our 36 yd. dump trailer maybe 12 or so w.out it (it's always pulling something!)

IMO the Dodge is a far superior truck if you're buying it to pull. On the other hand, the Ford sure is good looking, esp on some big tires (mines on 35 TOYO MT's)..

Lynden-Jeff
01-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Hmmm, I must have had 3 bad trucks then. I better tell friends that their trucks (13, f-250's & f-350's) are all junk too. If you are getting 19mpg out of your truck that means you have a range of like 700 miles. There is a reason Ford put the big tanks in the super duties.

How do you figure? I have a 29 gallon tank, so thats 550 miles to the tank or 880 KM which is almost exactly what Id get if I ran it dry. Even in the winter im running at a minimum of 14.

MuleCutter
01-10-2008, 10:06 PM
so no matter if i pull 6000 lbs or 16000 lbs i'll still get the same mileage pulling? my buddy has an O2 cummins and says he gets no less than 15 mpg and he tows a 20 ft gooseneck with a new holland tractor with bushhog scraper and front end loader. sorry to be a pain guys but i dont wanna make a bad choice. the power isnt really what i'm woried about cuz i know a duramax and a cummins both have more than enough... but with diesel at $3.25 down here.... i want to make much better mileage than what i'm getting now.

Lynden-Jeff
01-10-2008, 10:09 PM
so no matter if i pull 6000 lbs or 16000 lbs i'll still get the same mileage pulling? my buddy has an O2 cummins and says he gets no less than 15 mpg and he tows a 20 ft gooseneck with a new holland tractor with bushhog scraper and front end loader. sorry to be a pain guys but i dont wanna make a bad choice. the power isnt really what i'm woried about cuz i know a duramax and a cummins both have more than enough... but with diesel at $3.25 down here.... i want to make much better mileage than what i'm getting now.

You really can't nit pick the mileages to death, either you do have the money to run your business, no matter what the mileage is or you don't. They are all in the same ball park, none WAY better or WAY worse then the other.

NBI Lawn
01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
My 06 F-250 6.0L gets 10 mpg pulling 12k lbs. 12 mpg not pulling (city/hwy mixed)
My 08 Cummins gets 8 mpg pulling our 36 yd. dump trailer maybe 12 or so w.out it (it's always pulling something!)

Do you think Dodge/Cummins messed them up with the particulate filter, I see it messed with your fuel mileage? I help a friend at his Dyno shop once in a while and a New Dodge came in for a "fun" pull but the truck went into limp because the filter was already at 100%.

How do you like the new 6 speed?

NBI Lawn
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM

So your buddy backs that up then? All I am really saying is the diesel engines the big 3 names are offering are capable of making more power than the chassis will handle. 16,000lbs behind them wont bother them but it might start to bother the transmission etc... I know the Cummins will rip the chassis apart before it hurts itself or runs out of power.
Another way to look at it is the resale. Go find a 2000 Dodge (just an example) with the Cummins. They are still selling for $20,000 with 100,000+ miles while the same truck in a V8 is getting $9,000-$10,000.

Just man up and buy a diesel, you wont regret it :weightlifter:. The extra you pay at the fuel pump is more than worth it plus this is the first year good ol' #2 has been more than regualar.

NBI Lawn
01-10-2008, 10:40 PM
How do you figure? I have a 29 gallon tank, so thats 550 miles to the tank or 880 KM which is almost exactly what Id get if I ran it dry. Even in the winter im running at a minimum of 14.

*trucewhiteflag* I think my 06' F-350 had like a 34 or 36 gallon tank :confused: Fords are nice trucks but you have to admit the 7.3 was a better motor.

Lynden-Jeff
01-10-2008, 10:41 PM
*trucewhiteflag* I think my 06' F-350 had like a 34 or 36 gallon tank :confused: Fords are nice trucks but you have to admit the 7.3 was a better motor.

Better reliability but not nearly as powerful. Some guys have more then 250,000 miles on there 6.0, even though lots have issues, lots dont.

Cheers
Jeff

AtoZ
01-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Dodge/Cummins has the best setup as far as particulater filter designs as compared to GM & Ford. I have'nt had any problems with the new Dodge. As far as the 6 speed I can't comment I got the manual. A budy of mine drove the new auto and he wants one now. This coming from a manual lover...

Yeah I'm sure mileage suffers a little - as soon as the warranty is up the emmisions and particulate filter are coming off!!!

You think 2007 emmisions are bad - wait till 2010 - they will be getting alot worse!!!

Two people to blame -
Our wonderful Government
& the equally powerful Environmentalists

Go ahead get any diesel - you'll love it but don't expect that baloney about getting 15 mpg while pulling a gooseneck and a tractor...

GM, Dodge & Ford all build quality vehicles - Just pick the one you like best.

AtoZ
01-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Just remember - A diesel pickup will get very good mileage for a vehicle that weighs over 8,000 lbs but when pulling a heavy load mileage drops substantially... Putting it real close to what a gasoline engine will get when pulling - but, the diesel will pull far easier due to its higher torque rating and lugging ability without the need for downshifting ie. turbocharging...

Pulling a small load such as yours should put you in the range of 13 to 15mpg depending on truck and gear ratio...

SiteSolutions
01-11-2008, 07:29 AM

My 03 F-350 gets about 11 mpg; I don't go through a whole tank at a time while towing or not towing. I have gotten up close to 13 mpg when doing less towing on a tank.

Where can I get one of those 36 yd trailers? That's like having two tri-axle dump trucks! I bet 500-600 lb ft of torque pulls that thing like a champ! (When empty):)

TXNSLighting
01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
well heres my take...ive owned all three. mostly powerstrokes. all my 7.3's averaged 17 mpg on the highway. (6 of them) some worse most better. i had one 6.0 and it got 20 mpg on the highway. bout 13 towing my 4500 pound trailer. next truck was an 03 cummins. it had somethin wrong with the engine and would barely tow that 4500 pound trailer... very dissapointing. and the truck just.....ehhh. actually my 6.0 was after this truck...i traded my 6.0 for a 05 cummins. at first the truck was great! just got very crappy fuel mileage...13 hwy, 10 in town, and 7 pullin that 4500 pound trailer... but! once i hit bout 35000 miles, the dang thing started falling apart. a worm could dent the truck no problem. my radio went out, the intrument cluster went out. the air condtioner went out at 43000 miles. then right before i traded it, the power steering was startin to go out! so! after talking with friends, they all said yeh thats about when ours started acting up. and by this time i made it up to amost 16 mpg hwy. and 12 in town. 10 towin. so! i will never ever buy another dodge! i just dont like the quality, but! i will have another cummins! it will just be in a king ranch super duty! i currently have a duramax, and love it. it gets 20 hwy, and 16 in town. bout 14 towin that 4500 pound trailer. so from now on i will only buy fords and GMs. if you want a quality truck, id recommend you do the same.

CALandscapes
01-12-2008, 03:35 PM
NBI - To be honest, I haven't really driven the truck a whole lot. From what I have driven, though, I do like the 6 speed. I know my guy has had nothing but good things to say about it.

As far as a 36 yd. dump trailer goes - Mine is an Andersen, which I think can be found online. It's a 20x8x4(ft sides) and we welded on extensions which bring the sides up to 6 feet.
I know a buddy of mine found a company through ebay called Texas Pride, and they built him a 20x8x6 for around $9500 (a damn good deal considering many of them retail for around 15k+)
Also, the max weight for the trailer is 20k lbs, so it's not quite comparable to a dump truck.. If you're trying to haul soil/sand/rock you'll still need the dump truck.
We use our trailer for hauling debris..

SiteSolutions
01-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Makes more sense now; thought it was a typo at first.

grass guys
01-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Anybody use the vegi oil or french fry oil in place of Diesel fuel, I'm thinking about doing this with my 6.5 Chevy 3500HD. Wonder if anybody had any luck with it I hear that it is possible to get $.46 a gallon and some places say that you don't have to do anything to your truck to convert it over. Just wanted to see what you all thought?

muddstopper
01-13-2008, 12:03 AM
I dont see all this great fuel mileage in my ford truck. Its a 2008-F450 4x4 and I'm getting 7.9 mpg. the truck just clicked over 600 miles and I feel like I have bought $600 worth of fuel to get there. I dont let this worry me tho, if this truck is moveing, its makeing money, if its not making money, its parked, simple as that.

SiteSolutions
01-13-2008, 12:24 AM
I dont see all this great fuel mileage in my ford truck. Its a 2008-F450 4x4 and I'm getting 7.9 mpg. the truck just clicked over 600 miles and I feel like I have bought $600 worth of fuel to get there. I dont let this worry me tho, if this truck is moveing, its makeing money, if its not making money, its parked, simple as that.

From what I have read on them - I am not claiming to be an expert - one major difference between the F-350 and F-450 is the rear end. Take an F-350 (which is already not getting great mileage) and then stick a shorter geared (higher numerical ratio) rear end in it, and that's the major driveline difference. I am sure there's upgrades to chassis, brakes, etc, but it's basically the same engine and transmission, so to make it tow more you go from a 3.73:1 to a 4.xx:1 in the rear end and there goes your fuel mileage.

Maybe once it breaks in the mileage will improve. I'd be interested to know what kind of mileage you're getting later this spring. Maybe at 50,000 miles you will be getting 11 mpg, which is as good as I can get when towing around 10,000 pounds.

zedosix
01-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I have run ford diesels since 1991 and have never had a problem with fuel mileage, other than my 1995 f450 with 5:13 gears. But from what I've heard about the new generation 6.4 and its fuel consumption. I say good bye ford and hello dodge.

NBI Lawn
01-13-2008, 10:37 AM
I have run ford diesels since 1991 and have never had a problem with fuel mileage, other than my 1995 f450 with 5:13 gears. But from what I've heard about the new generation 6.4 and its fuel consumption. I say good bye ford and hello dodge.

Hmmm, why would a F-450 with 5:13's get bad mileage :laugh:. I can only imagine what that was like.

From what I have heard the Dodges are not doing much better, 10-13 mpg. They do meet 10' emissions already though.

zedosix
01-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Hmmm, why would a F-450 with 5:13's get bad mileage :laugh:. I can only imagine what that was like.

From what I have heard the Dodges are not doing much better, 10-13 mpg. They do meet 10' emissions already though.

This is the problem, in order for them to meet the emission req. of the future they are ruining the fuel mileage. None of it makes scense to me. Burn more fuel to make the air cleaner. Now we know what are gov. does with our money, bunch of friggin morons.

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Making horsepower requires a certain amount of fuel no matter what the make. Then you have to factor in the emission garbage, wind resistance, tires, gear ratio, slip in the tranny/torque converter, electrical loads, power steering, weight, weather conditions, and A/C. The winner is the one that gets the best mileage at the speeds and loads you run. Closer to the peak torque rated RPM when hauling in the top gear is the one that hauls the cheapest. Diesels start dropping in effiency when they reach about 90% of rated HP. Gasoline engines tend to stay flat at that point as the rated max RPM is often within about 200 RPM of the Peak HP from the manufacturer.

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 11:42 AM
This is the problem, in order for them to meet the emission req. of the future they are ruining the fuel mileage. None of it makes scense to me. Burn more fuel to make the air cleaner. Now we know what are gov. does with our money, bunch of friggin morons.
Does seem wrong doesn't it? So now they throw in the Corperate Average Fuel Economy requirements and the whole ball of wax kicks in. Must not pollute and must get a certain fuel MPG. That then forces the makers to lower the performance ratings on the vehicles as far as towing and loads go. Which will then require bigger engines to tow the same load and will burn more fuel. And then the cycle repeats itself.

A vehicle with an engine that emits 5lbs of carbon while getting 20 MPG is just as bad as a smog engine that emits 2.5lbs of carbon while getting 10 MPG going the same distance pollutionwise. And the later example will eat more dino fuel over its lifetime.

Nope, doesn't make sense to me either.:dizzy:

Edit: Why won't the software allow Corperate Average Fuel Economy to be written as "****"?

mower&more1986
01-13-2008, 02:46 PM
with my 1998 chevy k2500 6.5 turbo diesel I get 15 mpg lightly loaded
my truck need fuel injectors tho. Imo the older diesels get better Mpgs because less emission equipment. they say the 6.2 diesel gets 20 mpg.
but not having a turbo sucks. plus the new diesels just dont sound right to me that is. I dont care if put an custom exhaust on a new dodge or chevy or ford diesel. Aint going to sound like the B series cummins or the big 7.3 powerstroke. I plan on getting one of those someday

mowing grass 1111
01-13-2008, 03:06 PM

my 2001 has never held more than 28 gallons of fuel and it was running out the filler neck .....the best i ever got got out of it was 506 miles empty and it was running on fumes .... i had to coast to a gas station .

for some strange reason the last 2 full tanks have been getting around 250 miles per tank empty

jessica.elder
01-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I Love A O6 Cummins And A V-nose (16ft) 16 Mpg Consistintly..