PDA

View Full Version : Central NJ

shade tree landscaping
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Anyone on here from central nj area, Monmouth, Middlesex, Ocean counties?

phasthound
01-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Hey Shade Tree!
I'm close by in Burlington County. We are suppliers of fertilizers and soil amendments for environmentally friendly landcare businesses.
I know this is last minute, but we are holding a seminar/workshop on sustainable landcare in Pennington tomorrow. Maybe you can make it.

techterra@comcast.net

shade tree landscaping
01-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I am very interested in attending but have an appt in the morning, what time does it start at?

phasthound
01-10-2008, 10:10 PM
We begin at 8:30 and go until about 3:00. It's at the Stony Brook Watershed Association in Pennington. www.thewatershed.org
$75 includes lunch & pesticide credits. Speakers incude Mercer County Horticultural Agent Barbara Bromely, Rutgers Ornamental IPM Steve Rettke, and Woodbury Country Club Superintendent Charles Clarke; followed by open discussion. Hope you can make it.

shade tree landscaping
01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
no i wont be able to make that unfortunatley. Are you planning anyone? Do you normally do the pesticide reg?

phasthound
01-13-2008, 08:28 AM
At this point we do one a year, We have been awarding pesticide credits each time. Our goal is to teach applicators how to get results while greatly reducing pesticide and synthetic fertilizer inputs. We'll teach you what Rutgers won't.

DLAWNS
01-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm in the Toms River area. Not but 20 minutes from you.

DLAWNS
01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Shadetree-just wanted to let you know that I tried to look at your website. It wouldn't load. Just figured I'd tell you

shade tree landscaping
01-15-2008, 09:36 AM
DEP LAWNS, thanks for the heads up, I just logged onto it no problems, loaded fin but thatnks for the heads up. How far north from Toms River do you travel? Are you landscape, hardscape, or mostley mowing?

shade tree landscaping
01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
just checked out your website, you have nice and clean equipment! Seriously though, you do have a nice little set-up

DLAWNS
01-15-2008, 08:07 PM
For some reason your site won't load on my laptop and freezes my internet, but it comes up on my desktop. When I finally was able to see it, it looked really good. I mostly do lawn maintenance which I pretty much stick to Manchester, Toms River (mostly north side), Brick, and Berkeley. I also do some smaller landscape work and am looking to expand that end of things a little bit. By the way my equipment does not look like that anymore. I wish it still did. That was when I first bought that stuff. Plus I want to move that picture to the services page because I don't really like it. I still need my buddy to help me finish the site.

shade tree landscaping
01-15-2008, 08:25 PM
What have you used to advertise down there, and have you had success with it? Looking to advertise big in the spring, dont know what works and doesnt work in the area.

DLAWNS
01-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Its so cliche and I hate to say it but I put fliers in doors and on mailboxes in targeted neighborhoods, then it was just word of mouth from there. From some of these I have picked up some smaller commercial accounts. I plan on cold calling some property management companies and local businesses. I placed an ad in Yellowbook at the end of the season so we'll see how that pans out this year. What are some of your thoughts?

shade tree landscaping
01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
I have done the fliers with ok results, as far as cold calling I got no where on them with property managers. I was thinking abbout taking out an add in a local paper up here, maybe even in those "penny pincher" magazines that they direct mail, but the price is high on them. As far as yellow pages, I havent and dont plan on advertising in them, I dont think that many people still use the phone book in the day of the internet.

DLAWNS
01-16-2008, 10:19 AM
I hear ya about the phone book, but it puts me in the book in the yellow and white pages and on the internet. I'll see how well it works this year. The deal that I got was approximately $50 a month. All direct mail is so expensive. I was going to get a few target areas and I got prices from my graphics place and they were ridiculous. Besides that I'm out of ideas.

loupiscopolandscaping
02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey Shade Tree Landscaping and Bill,
i just wanted to say hi, I'm located in Brick and we offer Maintenance to Design....Water features, paver, retaining walls, railroad ties, sod, plants, just about everything except landscape lighting and sprinker systems. I never learned those fields.

phasthound
02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Yo! How about the New JERSEY Giants!!!!

Check out quantumdigital.com for a good way to target direct mail. You can target a whole town or just one street.
You can make if fit your budget. If you do this, you'll see that it is less expensive than the gas & time required to leave fliers door to door.

No, I do not have any affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer. :clapping:

jersey973
02-05-2008, 08:01 PM
walker still for sale??? if so what is your price?? thanks, mike

jersey973
02-05-2008, 08:02 PM
walker still for sale?? if so whats your price? thanks, mike

DLAWNS
02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
phasthound--

How awesome was that game? It is amazing...Super Bowl champions.

LouPiscopolandscaping--If you get a chance PM me.

loupiscopolandscaping
02-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Im trying to, but the server isnt letting me. i havent tried PMing b4. let me check my settings on my profile

DLAWNS
02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Loupiscopolandscaping--
no problem. You can go to my website to get my email or give me your email and I'll contact you. Whatever is easiest for you.

loupiscopolandscaping
02-06-2008, 09:38 PM
ok its a hard one to remember so get a pen ready.lol loupiscopolandscaping@yahoo.com in the process of building my website loupiscopolandscaping.com

DLAWNS
02-06-2008, 09:40 PM
phasthound--

Do you have any other info about quantamdigital.com? Personal experiences or anything. I checked the website and was pretty impressed. Just wondering if you had any extra info it would be greatly appreciated.

shade tree landscaping
02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
walker still for sale?? if so whats your price? thanks, mike

Yes the walker is still avaible, there is a thread in the For Sale thread with pics, or I can e-mail them to you. its got a 18hp Briggs & Stratton, 42in mulch deck, about 130 hrs. Asking $6500. Love the machine, but have to sell it for a larger machine.

phasthound
02-07-2008, 10:33 PM
phasthound--

Do you have any other info about quantamdigital.com? Personal experiences or anything. I checked the website and was pretty impressed. Just wondering if you had any extra info it would be greatly appreciated.

I've used them for printing, very fast at a good price. One time after I placed the order on line, a rep called within an hour to let me know I had made an error & corrected it.

I tested some of their target mailing services last year, performed as advertised & I will be using them more this year. They are easy to work with & will walk you through everything over the phone. Once you learn how to use it you can set up everything by yourself.

SimonCX
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I've used them for printing, very fast at a good price. One time after I placed the order on line, a rep called within an hour to let me know I had made an error & corrected it.

I tested some of their target mailing services last year, performed as advertised & I will be using them more this year. They are easy to work with & will walk you through everything over the phone. Once you learn how to use it you can set up everything by yourself.

Phasthound, just wondering if you do any business in the robbinsville area? I got my license but I decided not to do fert. But I always have clients who are asking me who I can recommend because they don't want chem lawn.

phasthound
02-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Phasthound, just wondering if you do any business in the robbinsville area? I got my license but I decided not to do fert. But I always have clients who are asking me who I can recommend because they don't want chem lawn.

Give me a call & we'll discuss it. Thanks.

DLAWNS
02-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Phasthound--
Thank you very much for the information. I'm going to call them today. Thanks again.

Wise_A
02-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes the walker is still avaible, there is a thread in the For Sale thread with pics, or I can e-mail them to you. its got a 18hp Briggs & Stratton, 42in mulch deck, about 130 hrs. Asking $6500. Love the machine, but have to sell it for a larger machine.

Yeah, but that can only mean one thing - your business is growing and you need a bigger machine, or your accounts are getting bigger. Either way, you're expanding and thats good news!

NicksLawnCare
02-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey guys i am in hazlet area about 30 min from you guys. Just basically starting out.

loupiscopolandscaping
02-14-2008, 10:33 AM
good luck!

DLAWNS
02-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey man..good luck starting out.

Lou--
I left you a message on the 202 number that you gave me. Give me a shout. I didn't know if you're available to meet up tomorrow.

shade tree landscaping
02-15-2008, 05:18 PM
anyone know how hard it is to get a fert license in NJ?

DLAWNS
02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Not to hard. You need to have some documented experience and take a 1 day class and pass the core and either 3A or 3B tests. The first step is to go to PCPNJ.com. Any other questions, just ask.

shade tree landscaping
02-15-2008, 05:55 PM
thanks DLAWNS, thats exactally the type of thing that I was looking for. Just in case anyone else wants to reference that the website is PCPNJ.org, not .com. Thanks again

DLAWNS
02-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Thats right, I forgot about that. Sorry. The site is a little hard to navigate, but just keep going through it, you'll find what you need. Plus, it has contact numbers that you can call with additional numbers.

shade tree landscaping
02-15-2008, 08:45 PM
yeh I found the contact number for everything on there, gonna give them a call tommorw morning and see about everything. yeh your rite though, its def hard to navigate through there. thanks again

phasthound
02-17-2008, 06:50 PM
anyone know how hard it is to get a fert license in NJ?

Shade tree,
If you are only going to apply fert with no pesticides, there is no license required.

shade tree landscaping
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
I know very little about fert vs pesticedes...whats the difference?

DLAWNS
02-18-2008, 01:20 AM
If you are only going to apply fert with no pesticides, there is no license required.

Thats a good point. In Jersey, you can apply straight fertilizer without a license. i.e. 18-24-12.But something like 19-0-6 with Dimension (or any other insecticide, fungicide, or herbicide) you would not be able to apply without a license. Or spraying any other pesticides including Round-up would be against the law.
In my opinion, if you are planning on doing any kind of fertilization programs for customers you should get certified. You will be very limited in what you can legally put out on lawns. Fertilizer is great, but without some preventative or curative pesticide options your hands will be tied.

shade tree landscaping
02-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks!! Thats the exact type of answer I was looking for! Like I said said before, I am new to the whole pest/fert area and know very little about it! Thanks again DLAWNS

DLAWNS
02-18-2008, 09:51 AM
No problem. Good luck with everything!

HandyHomeMedic
02-19-2008, 11:57 PM

I'm in Morganville (Monmouth County)

shade tree landscaping
02-20-2008, 09:31 AM
where do you do most of you work? Just in Marlboro/Morganville? What services do you offer?

SoloSulkySurfer
03-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey guys,
Im in South Plainfield (Middlesex County). Nice to see so many jersey guys on this site. Mostly lawn maintnance for me but I get a couple landscape jobs a year. Im looking to get into some commercial jobs up here any advice on getting my foot in the door?

Supper Grassy
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey i am in Burlington county can i join in on discussions or am I too far south

dont do much, just getting in to it any advice

SoloSulkySurfer
03-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey i am in Burlington county can i join in on discussions or am I too far south

Yep to far south go away. :laugh:

Just kidding just couldnt help myself. I would recommend doing some free advertising (ie craigslist and notices at senior centers and supermarkets.)

NicksLawnCare
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey what do you guys charge to put down sod? Just got an inquiry from a customer. Haven't installed sod yet but i am willing to give it a shot? Any thing i should look out for or do?

DLAWNS
04-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Always stagger the pieces of sod so they don't all line up if that makes any sense. I just pretty much price per hour and materials. Be sure to put down starter fert and lime before you lay it. Bring enough workers for the job because laying sod (for a big job) can be a b**ch. Good luck with the job. Any other questions just ask. By the way, where are you getting sod from?

NicksLawnCare
04-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Thank you for the advise. I am in hazlet. I do not have the job yet but just trying to get all the information i need and learn some tricks.