PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Exmark Hydro's than factory?

Robebob
01-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I have a 2004 exmark lazer Z with BDP-10a-427 Hydro pumps, I think they are the 12cc displacement pumps but i cant find a cross reference to find out. has anyone ever replaced them with bigger pumps like ones off the XS models with 21 cc pumps. right now they both work fine but have 1200 hours on them, and when slowing down the left pump doesent work as it should but nothing major, i was going to order 2 new pumps and replace them but wanted to put somthing bigger if it was possible. does any one have any experience with somthing like this. Thanks Robert

JHugh
01-10-2008, 10:45 PM
The pumps you have on your mower are 10cc pumps. I'm sure it would be possible to install larger pumps....but it would cost a lot of money. The XS has larger pumps, larger pump pulleys, larger wheel motors, larger hydraulic tank, larger hydraulic filter, higher PSI hoses, etc...You would also have to modify the frame to fit the larger pumps in place. You could install the 12cc pumps that are on the current Lazer Z mowers. Why do you think your pump is going bad? What is it doing when you slow down?

Robebob
01-10-2008, 11:05 PM
when I slow down the left side begins to slow down then has a gap where nothing happens then all at once the pressure will kick in reverse, plus it doesent have as much power as my friends mower in reverse. ( has the same mower but with fewer hours. I wanted to replace both of them to prevent one cratering in the future. money is not an option i will happily spent $700 on 2 new pumps from jthomas. i think its better than buying 2 pumps and 1 or 2 wheel motors if one does happen to crater from related damage,(however likely that is of happening), it operated just fine to my satisfaction and gets the job done great, i am just a stickler for preventative maintainence, the XS was just an example, i meant to write the 12cc pumps instead of the XS my bad on that one. then again the thing im feeling is probably just a bad seal internally but i would rather replace both with new stronger units and have 2 spares but if one of the new ones goes out i do know i wouldy have to replace it with another 12cc... i just want to know if anyone has done this before and if there were any unforseen problems that came up... or if it worked just fine.

mowermankevin
01-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Ro, When you get a minute, I have a question. You said the pump will go into reverse when your slowing down to make a left turn, is that correct? When the shock damper goes out it can cause the control arms to jerk the pump and it's violent enough to crack the pump body and throw the operator around, are you sure it's going in reverse even momentarily? I like your idea of upgrading, it will be interesting to follow, I'm always modifying to get more service or performance plus it keeps the work interesting. Let's see what the other guys got to say.

Robebob
01-14-2008, 05:03 PM
its very minor what its doing, it doesent do it unless its hot outside, i have sicne added a hydraulic oil cooler with a 5 inch fan to keep it cool and it hasnt been doing it, but it also isnt 100 degrees yet. it does it when im slowing down from going foward. and it doesent kick in reverse, it just isnt keeping up with the other hydro at slowing down the wheel, im just going to replace both of them with newer 12cc pumps and be done with it. i do recommend adding a hydraulic oil cooler with a fan to anyone who's machine doesent allready have one, it made a massive difference in the way the hyrdo's perform when its hot outside, no more moaning!!!