PDA

View Full Version : Transformer layouts

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 08:55 AM
This trans has about the cleanest layout I have ever seen. Your not limited to a certain controller. There are lights in the cabinets for working after dark when need be (see the LED's at the top) and there are no relays so its dimmable. Lot of other features as well.

Notice the bypass controls to turn the unit on. Primary and secondary breakers. I cant imagine why they didnt come up with something like this sooner. Anyone else find something real slick ? I know the iforce is pretty slick too.

pete scalia
01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
This trans has about the cleanest layout I have ever seen. Your not limited to a certain controller. There are lights in the cabinets for working after dark when need be (see the LED's at the top) and there are no relays so its dimmable. Lot of other features as well.

Notice the bypass controls to turn the unit on. Primary and secondary breakers. I cant imagine why they didnt come up with something like this sooner. Anyone else find something real slick ? I know the iforce is pretty slick too.

Nice layout indeed.

What's behind that blue screen a Torroidal or coil and core?

I count 8 colored taps , what's it go up to 22V?

Is that 2 commons per circuit? I see 3 breakers so I'd assume it's a 900VA
4 commons for 3 circuits? What give's?

Are those LED's below the breakers?

and what's those 3 things sticking out on the bottom side of the blue case

extlights
01-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Hmmm....I do like that, but Pete has some good questions. I think those 3 things sticking out of the bottom of the blue case are the led's? Could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Nice layout indeed.

I count 8 colored taps , what's it go up to 22V?

Is that 2 commons per circuit? I see 3 breakers so I'd assume it's a 900VA
4 commons for 3 circuits? What give's?

Are those LED's below the breakers?

and what's those 3 things sticking out on the bottom side of the blue case

Its torrid

Its not 22v... its 11.5 to 15v in half volt incriments. Sorry you cant see the pics clearly I had to compress it severly...600w model... there are 2 commons per circuit so its easier to put cables in. There are led indicators under the the breakers to indicate power on both secondaries and the primary. Thoes "things" sticking out are the led cabinet lights I mentioned and there is a toggle switch just below the breakers from that.

I assume even in lawnguyland you have had to work inside a trans after dark while balancing a flashlight or wearing one on your noggin!

This trans is 100% 1838 compliant not to mention its 100% field servicable. Dave drop me an email and I will send you more pics.

pete scalia
01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
What about me Billy.

No pics for me?:confused:

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
What about me Billy.

No pics for me?:confused:

email me...................

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Its torrid

Its not 22v... its 11.5 to 15v in half volt incriments. Sorry you cant see the pics clearly I had to compress it severly...600w model... there are 2 commons per circuit so its easier to put cables in. There are led indicators under the the breakers to indicate power on both secondaries and the primary. Thoes "things" sticking out are the led cabinet lights I mentioned and there is a toggle switch just below the breakers from that.

I assume even in lawnguyland you have had to work inside a trans after dark while balancing a flashlight or wearing one on your noggin!

This trans is 100% 1838 compliant not to mention its 100% field servicable. Dave drop me an email and I will send you more pics.

Billy. Since the unit is UL1838 "compliant" (but not yet listed right?) and it is a 600W transformer, then the reason that there are 2 commons "per circuit", as you put it, is not so that it is easier to wire up.... it is because you really have two 300w transformers inside there. This distinction is very important to understand when planning and using this type of transformer.

Regards.

Eden Lights
01-11-2008, 10:28 AM
There is something fishey about this thread, I smell a rat. Why the secrets? I would say Pete supplied these pics?

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
what are you saying James ?

There is 2 common circuits on the 600w model and 2 connections per common. This is not like the Cast which adds a common to aid in distribution(which does come in really handy sometimes) but this simply adds a second connection point per common circuit. Its the same as wiring any other 600w toridial core you just dont have to cram a bunch of wires in a single common.

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 10:37 AM
There is something fishey about this thread, I smell a rat. Why the secrets? I would say Pete supplied these pics?

that hurt eddie... i have never exchanged an email with pete nor recived pics from him. I have always cursed up and down wiring transformers. This is a new trans layout avalible to me and others who are interested. Nothing fishy about it. I just got sick of an inch of wiring room after I put my conduit in the knock outs. Im sorry you guys feel that way.

JoeyD
01-11-2008, 10:38 AM
People complain about the size of my lugs, those things look tiny?? Also how much does that thing weigh. My guess is that thing is pushing 30Lbs. My 1120 weighs about 20lbs. I'm not fond of having to balance my loads out per the circuit I like the freedom I allow with wiring on my units.

Lite4
01-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Billy, I can't find your email address. Can I PM you about the tranny?

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
my email addy aint hard to figure out lol... i pm'ed you awhile ago with no reply

Eden Lights
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
that hurt eddie... i have never exchanged an email with pete nor recived pics from him. I have always cursed up and down wiring transformers. This is a new trans layout avalible to me and others who are interested. Nothing fishy about it. I just got sick of an inch of wiring room after I put my conduit in the knock outs. Im sorry you guys feel that way.

I apologize if I was wrong, but the .5 volt increments had Pete's name all over it. Again I am sorry if I was wrong. Excellent Transformer layout and looks like quality parts and build.

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I think you are assuming pete and someone else are one and the same. If you have proof of this I would love to know and see because that would eliminate my trust in someone. I can assure you I have had no contact with pete scalia other than on this board in public. no pm's no emails no pic swaps

I have nothing to gain from this other than the same thing all of you do. To have a good quality trans packaged with great features in a great layout. To me thats gaining alot since I have really big hands and find it very dificult to wire most transformers on the market. I think a layout like this very creative even if you dont care about half volt incriments.

ChampionLS
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Nice layout indeed.

It's a AM/FM, & 8-Track tape player with a 6" speaker- Just in case you get bored while doing your hook up. :laugh:

SamIV
01-11-2008, 03:04 PM
There is one person still hiding something here and it's not Billy. I have one of these coming my way to try out.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 05:22 PM
It's a AM/FM, & 8-Track tape player with a 6" speaker- Just in case you get bored while doing your hook up. :laugh:

dang it Anthony... you blabbed the secret components that set this apart!:laugh:

Dreams To Designs
01-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Billy, this looks interesting. Looks like it has lots of room, but the real test is in the performance. Before I judge it, I'd like to see it and try it ourt.

Anthony, do you think I can get one with a DVD player so I have something to watch during those late night installs?

Kirk

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh and one other addition before it goes into full production Billy...

You must make sure it has a SECRET compartment somewhere!

:)

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Nothing secret here. Its already been produced.

SamIV
01-11-2008, 06:56 PM
8-Track. I can finally listen to my Peter Framton, Grand Funk and Doobie Brothers tapes again. Great Billy, send me two of em.

Pro-Scapes
01-11-2008, 07:06 PM
only if you promise to make me copies of thoes tapes Burt. Wait... hold that thought..............

klkanders
01-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Oh ya I'm feelin it........"Show me the way" by Frampton and "China Grove" by the Doobies.......many fond memories.

pete scalia
01-11-2008, 08:30 PM
OK so I'm a transformer manufacturer now you've exposed me. I might as well come clean and admit I was also on the grassy knoll in Dallas on that fateful day too.
Anything else you want to accuse me of before the day is through?

JoeyD
01-11-2008, 08:30 PM
you guys are so old! LOL

pete scalia
01-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Send $400 in cash to

Pete Scalia transformers
P.O. Box
1637 Melville Rd.
Huntington, NY 11743
516-422-9463
Please allow up to 2 yrs for delivery

Eden Lights
01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Send $400 in cash to

Pete Scalia transformers
P.O. Box
1637 Melville Rd.
Huntington, NY 11743
516-422-9463
Please allow up to 2 yrs for delivery

Is that your business address Pete? P.O. Box? I need to order my transformer?

pete scalia
01-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Is that your business address Pete? P.O. Box? I need to order my transformer?

sorry PO Box 1234

cash only please

or use the usual drop box at Starbucks on Jericho tpke. in syosset

SamIV
01-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm not old, just older...... I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland, pretty mama take me by the hand, by the hand. Oh I'm sorry, my mind must have wandered a bit. Do you feel like we do, oh there I go again. Think it's time for my nap and first doe of Geritol.

Burt
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Pro-Scapes
01-12-2008, 11:30 AM
:laugh:I'm not old, just older...... I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland, pretty mama take me by the hand, by the hand. Oh I'm sorry, my mind must have wandered a bit. Do you feel like we do, oh there I go again. Think it's time for my nap and first doe of Geritol.

Burt
Accent Outdoor Lighting

:laugh::laugh::laugh: If you guys knew Burt you might have a hard time imagining him grooving to funky dixie land. Its been 8 years since I could hear but man I do miss some great music sometimes. Its the little things in life that get you..

Anyways back on topic. James I thought about your posts on the first page trying to derail my states of ease of wiring. I think you assumed there were 2 transformers at 300w inside there like the sundown. I can assure you its a single trans at 600w with 2 circuits of 300w with as stated 2 taps per ciruit for EASE OF WIRING. No need to be careful or any special wizardry. Wire this like you would any other 600w torid on the market today.

I am not quite sure how the nightscapings wire up but with this unit even tho there is 2 taps per common your still limited to 300w across thoes 2 taps.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Billy, I certainly was not trying to derail you in any way, shape or form. I do not doubt for a minute that these transformers are easier to wire up then many on the market today.

I simply read that this was a 600W transformer, was UL1838 compliant and that it had double taps for 'ease of wiring'. I wanted people to know that the double taps (I now see it actually has 4 commons, two for each 300w secondary circuit of the transformer.... nice touch) were there for more then just ease of wiring, that in fact if this unit is UL1838 compliant, that it must be two secondary circuits of 300w each.

"Each power unit output circuit is rated 15 V rms ac (24.2 V peak) or less, 25 A or less, and 300 VA or less." - UL1838

No insult, injury or derailment was intended. Sorry if one was perceived.

Regards.

pete scalia
01-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Billy, I certainly was not trying to derail you in any way, shape or form. I do not doubt for a minute that these transformers are easier to wire up then many on the market today.

I simply read that this was a 600W transformer, was UL1838 compliant and that it had double taps for 'ease of wiring'. I wanted people to know that the double taps (I now see it actually has 4 commons, two for each 300w secondary circuit of the transformer.... nice touch) were there for more then just ease of wiring, that in fact if this unit is UL1838 compliant, that it must be two secondary circuits of 300w each. That's not what you said in your original message. You said it must have 2 seperate 300 watt cores if it had 2 sets of commons. what kind of nonsense logic is that? As far as I know you could have unlimited #'s of common taps as long as they are protected by the same 25 amp breaker. All a tap is is a device to connect wires. If there is 1 common (25 amp protected) feeding the back of 4 taps then what's the difference? In this case their are 2- same deal

"Each power unit output circuit is rated 15 V rms ac (24.2 V peak) or less, 25 A or less, and 300 VA or less." - UL1838

No insult, injury or derailment was intended. Sorry if one was perceived.

Regards.

See above in red

irrig8r
01-13-2008, 12:17 AM
See above in red

Whoa, maybe he really is in the TF biz now....

Pro-Scapes
01-13-2008, 12:24 AM
I guess pete worded it better than I did. I dont think it would take someone in the transformer business to put it like he did. I never thought to describe a tap just as a connector. Its important for installers to realize the extra "connection points" in no way increase a transformers output.

James there is also nothing to derail from me. Im not sure how your power centers wire but every trans I use has the same limitations on the commons as this one. Its just as I stated. Extra common tap for ease of wiring.

Mike M
01-13-2008, 12:32 AM
"Whoa, maybe he really is in the TF biz now...."

Yeah really. Interesting how a nerve was struck. As if he were defending his own child.

Anyways, even as a rookie, I think the half-steps are awesome.

pete scalia
01-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Whoa, maybe he really is in the TF biz now....

I told you where to send the money. Do you think I'd do that if I wasn't going to deliver a transformer:rolleyes:?

Pro-Scapes
01-13-2008, 04:42 PM

Yeah really. Interesting how a nerve was struck. As if he were defending his own child.

he wasnt defending his own child. He was simply correcting a false statement with the correct one. We are all here to learn. If falsehoods are presented or stated they need to be corrected asap so the wrong info is not passed around.

Your right tho mike the half steps rock. Even without them the layout and useability of this box rocks.

irrig8r
01-13-2008, 05:27 PM

Mike, dude....relax... I was just joking.

I agree these TFs Billy has shown us look awesome. One question: where are they made? In other words, not what company makes them, but where are they actually put together? And how reliable will the supply chain be?

I'd also like to look at a wiring diagram if that's possible.

From what I gather, a torroidal TF is more complcated to wind/ more labor insensive. That usually makes them more expensive... but from what I can gather, not in this case.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-13-2008, 05:49 PM
In addition to Gregg's interest....

I would like to know the specfics of the warranty and most importantly who would be responsible for managing the warranty program? Where would warranty claims be handled, who would handle them, and what are the terms?

I would also like to see a complete schematic or an exploded view of the insides of this unit.

I would also like to know more about pricing, stocking levels, where the units are manufactured, where they are assembled, and all the rest of the good stuff about the people who are actually building these.

They appear to be quite well thought out. Of course the unit's listing is critical for use here and they would need to be certified to CSA (ULc or cETL) standards for use in a LV landscape lighting application. That UL1838 listing would be a great start.

As soon as you have some available, I would like to buy one for testing here. Until the other issues are all answered and cleared up, and the unit has been fully vetted, then I would not be making any changes on a wholesale level.

Thanks Billy....:)

Pro-Scapes
01-13-2008, 10:05 PM
James. I am pretty certain the transformer pictured will not see the canadian market place. Perhaps when you become the heavy hitter in palm springs :)

I showed the transformer for 1 reason. I think someone finally listened or got fed up enough with an inch of wiring space they decided enough was enough and worked hard and invested the money to make that change.

This Trans is and never was intended to be a mainstream unit or mass marketed. The designer contracted the company to build this trans exclusivly for them. There is a minimum quantity per year which exceeds what he and I can use in a year so he will need some high end high volume users who see the added value of this unit. Nothing more and nothing less. I know it will be ul listed but i dont see cUL or cETL in the future. Nothing personal its just not feesible as the trans has be produced exclusivly for a propriety line.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Okay Billy, no sweat here. :)

I am pretty happy with the Nightscaping H3O Powercenters anyways. They have huge lugs, tons of room to wire them up, a fantastic modular control bay that accepts a myriad of options including UBP switches, and a lifetime warranty. Now if I can only convince them to make the door mount on hinges and come with a handy locking clasp!

You might want to let your design friend and the manufacturer know that UL1838 is accepted by CSA and thus testing it to that standard will probably earn it a ULc no matter what. Might as well go for it if you have the chance to now, can only help the marketability of the unit.

There are some pretty "high end heavy hitters" up here in Canada you know! :canadaflag:

pete scalia
01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Enough with the cloak and dagger bull spit. Who is responsible for the transformer and who are these heavy hitters besides me and Billy that will qualify to buy it. Good Grief!

Pro-Scapes
01-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Give ya 2 guesses and the first one dont count. Kinda rhymes with shambino

Eden Lights
01-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Give ya 2 guesses and the first one dont count. Kinda rhymes with shambino

I called this one the second I saw the transformer and we all know for this thing to be massed produced at a competitive price it will not be built with those quality components. Can someone point out the advantages over any other MDL transformer? There are transformers already with big lugs and lots of working room. .5 increment voltage taps while very cool, but they are are not needed.

pete scalia
01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
I called this one the second I saw the transformer and we all know for this thing to be massed produced at a competitive price it will not be built with those quality components. Can someone point out the advantages over any other MDL transformer? There are transformers already with big lugs and lots of working room. .5 increment voltage taps while very cool, but they are are not needed.

I can't find any. I'm sticking with my metal ACME Buck boost:dizzy:. .5V increment voltage taps-what are they good for. Absolutely Nuthin'.
Looks like you can put a UPB switch or 2 in there though. That may be a novelty. Now if only my ACME would house the UPB inside.hmmn........ ACME isn't that the same transformer brand that Wiley Coyote uses.

Eden Lights
01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
I can't find any. I'm sticking with my metal ACME Buck boost:dizzy:. .5V increment voltage taps-what are they good for. Absolutely Nuthin'.
Looks like you can put a UPB switch or 2 in there though. That may be a novelty. Now if only my ACME would house the UPB inside.hmmn........ ACME isn't that the same transformer brand that Wiley Coyote uses.

While I do use the acme, it is only for special situations (100W and under) The upb modules fit inside without any problems which makes a excellent small and complete controllable package for special situations.

Don't get me wrong, I think the build quality, high end components, and features are excellent ideas, but are they needed at a increased cost over the best transformers already available?

pete scalia
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
While I do use the acme, it is only for special situations (100W and under) The upb modules fit inside without any problems which makes a excellent small and complete controllable package for special situations.

Don't get me wrong, I think the build quality, high end components, and features are excellent ideas, but are they needed at a increased cost over the best transformers already available?

I'm talkin' bout the UPB switch not the appliance mod. Try cramming that in the bottom of an ACME. And I don't use those ACME's anyway I was joshin ya. Only ones using that transformer are Wiley Coyote and low level installers who don't know any better or are fixin to rip off their customers. What's the price of this thing over what's already out there then I'll talk about whether it's worth it or not

Pro-Scapes
01-14-2008, 02:46 PM
its priced competitive. What makes it better than MDL?? 5 out of the last 12 mdl's I have put in have had an issue of some sort. Running real hot... breakers not even hooked up inside the cabinet... relays shorted out... cores totally exposed (that was installed by a friend) etc.

What makes it better is how easy it is to use and the versitility... Come on eden your a huge fan and probably one of the best I know of advanced controls. I would think you if anyone would appreciate the controlability and aray of options open with this one.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Billy just a freindly suggestion....

Perhaps you should open up an ebay account (or alibaba.com) and start selling these units online. That way all of the interested people here could go online, review all of the specs, review the warranty info, see the pricing, and then place orders. This could kick start your program and provide you with purchase orders which you and Mike G. could then take to a bank and secure a line of credit with which you can place your initial minimum order with the manufacturers.

Or perhaps you already have a distribution plan in place, either way, I would suggest that interest has been piqued and now you need to move on generating sales.

Have a great day.

Eden Lights
01-14-2008, 07:44 PM
its priced competitive. What makes it better than MDL?? 5 out of the last 12 mdl's I have put in have had an issue of some sort. Running real hot... breakers not even hooked up inside the cabinet... relays shorted out... cores totally exposed (that was installed by a friend) etc.

I have never had a Kichler or Hadco MDL Failure in any way over the last 9 years. Who's mdl are you using, Pantech or ?

What makes it better is how easy it is to use and the versitility... Come on eden your a huge fan and probably one of the best I know of advanced controls. I would think you if anyone would appreciate the controlability and aray of options open with this one.

While I admit I seldom read all the posts, did I miss the specs and features? Please explain it's features or post a past post for us. Every transformer I install has UPB control or some other form of advanced controls. I havn't seen many transformers that can't be controlled by a Appliance module, dimmer, switch, and or a fixture dimmer, fixture relay module. I do not use controlled receptacles. Last week I updated a 15 year old Nightscaping install with 6 transformers and the client said it was like having a new system. He had been fighting those timers for fifthteen years and now he has complete astro functions with capacitor backup, multiple control points allowing a Entertaining scene, All bright, Panic, All off, and Vacation mode from a backlit keypad. If the price is in line with others then tell me how it is better, All I saw was a low resolution pic, so please tell me more?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I do not use controlled receptacles.

Hi Eddie....

I am pretty new to the UPB world but am in the process of updating several of my client's systems this winter. I am using Simply Automated components and have sold three full system retrofits.

I would like to know why you don't use controlled receptacles. Have you encountered problems with this technique?

I am about to start renovation to a 5 zone system and was going to use the controlled receptacles. 4 of the 5 transformers in the system have dedicated receptacles that are 'hidden' in the landscape and only power up the lighting transformers. All of the receptacles are protected by GFCI breakers in the main panel.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

pete scalia
01-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Eddie....

I am pretty new to the UPB world but am in the process of updating several of my client's systems this winter. I am using Simply Automated components and have sold three full system retrofits.

I would like to know why you don't use controlled receptacles. Have you encountered problems with this technique?

I am about to start renovation to a 5 zone system and was going to use the controlled receptacles. 4 of the 5 transformers in the system have dedicated receptacles that are 'hidden' in the landscape and only power up the lighting transformers. All of the receptacles are protected by GFCI breakers in the main panel.

Thanks.

They get wet and the party is over. Why don't you put your UPB switches in the NS transformer. You claimed in a previous post it can house switches.

Eden Lights
01-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Eddie....

Thanks.

A few of the problems or things I don't like about UPB receptacles are:

* They are just to big (deep) to get in a standard water proof Jbox.

* They are very hard to wire the way the plastic case stands out from the screws and you can not duplex off the bottom of the receptacle.

* People will plug your load up to the wrong receptacle causing a call-back.

* Your water proof in use cover will to be modified to allow room for the programming button.

* I have had a very high failure rate compared to all other UPB devices. I think Pete is right about the moisture causing this, even if do everything you can to waterproof.

With all this being said the UFR-30 is a much better option and fits right in the old timer location of the Nighscaping units, heck you can put your female spades on the UFR wires at the house and install them in the NS units in just mintues.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for that! I will order the switch units instead and install them into the Powercenter control bay.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
01-14-2008, 11:33 PM
I have never had a Kichler or Hadco MDL Failure in any way over the last 9 years. Who's mdl are you using, Pantech or ?

While I admit I seldom read all the posts, did I miss the specs and features? Please explain it's features or post a past post for us. Every transformer I install has UPB control or some other form of advanced controls. I havn't seen many transformers that can't be controlled by a Appliance module, dimmer, switch, and or a fixture dimmer, fixture relay module. I do not use controlled receptacles. Last week I updated a 15 year old Nightscaping install with 6 transformers and the client said it was like having a new system. He had been fighting those timers for fifthteen years and now he has complete astro functions with capacitor backup, multiple control points allowing a Entertaining scene, All bright, Panic, All off, and Vacation mode from a backlit keypad. If the price is in line with others then tell me how it is better, All I saw was a low resolution pic, so please tell me more?

I already stated whoes mdl I used didnt I ? kichler... cast and coppermoon all had some issues out of the boxes. As far as ebay thats a joke james this is far from an ebay product. Its not intended to be mass produced or mass marketed. The warranty is comparable to industry standards. The units are in stock and already being installed as Mike G already spent a large sum of money in testing and developments.

Eden the 2 compartments at the bottom will house switches of any configuration you could hope for. The left is the duplex outlet and is removeable. If you like pluggable devices plug it right in and be done. The right bay can still hold dimmers and other devices decora sized.

Eden if you want hi res pics you will have to email me they are too large to post here. I will be happy to then forward you the full specs and features of this unit. I think in the last 5 or 6 pages about all the specs have come up tho. Better yet if you are SERIOUS about it then email Mike and get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Billy we are are just trying to be helpful. This is what you can expect when you choose to vet a new product to a group of industry pros in a semi-public fashion. You are seeing that most of us take our product choices very seriously and will need a lot of information and good reason to change.

As for my comment about ebay or alibaba, it was not a joke. Both are excellent, established, and efficient means by which a business like yours can promote and distribute products. They dont just sell used and discount consumer goods nor is it all about auctions anymore. You can choose to set up an ebay store rather quickly and effieciently which can save you a mountain of effort and expense. If not this route then you might want to consider picking an established national distributor to handle sales, shipping and warranty claims for you. This would position you as an agent between the manufacturers and the distributors. Just be prepared for the manufacturer to end run you if the product becomes popular.

Just trying to help Billy.

Pro-Scapes
01-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Billy we are are just trying to be helpful. This is what you can expect when you choose to vet a new product to a group of industry pros in a semi-public fashion. You are seeing that most of us take our product choices very seriously and will need a lot of information and good reason to change.

As for my comment about ebay or alibaba, it was not a joke. Both are excellent, established, and efficient means by which a business like yours can promote and distribute products. They dont just sell used and discount consumer goods nor is it all about auctions anymore. You can choose to set up an ebay store rather quickly and effieciently which can save you a mountain of effort and expense. If not this route then you might want to consider picking an established national distributor to handle sales, shipping and warranty claims for you. This would position you as an agent between the manufacturers and the distributors. Just be prepared for the manufacturer to end run you if the product becomes popular.

As for the comment "a business like yours".... hello james its still me... im a lighting design and installation firm just like you. Im not in the trans business... Mike and I are not going into business (as the comment got back to me) and we dont plan on going into the trans business. We are lighting guys still who strive for the most perfect system we can create.

Just trying to help Billy.

Thanks for the help james but I think your misunderstanding. Niether myself or Mike G are looking to be in distribution or sales. He is setting up a website that will contain product info but all distribution will be handled by an independant party. This wont be a mainstream transformer and definatly not something to be offered to the general public. I can appreciate you guys taking things seriously as do I. My intention of this tread was mearly to show you guys a new layout that has rock solid performance and the versitility this industry was semi lacking in. Choose to take the provided info as you will and stop trying sink the ship that has already sailed.

SamIV
01-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I am going to try this trans out. Have not always agreed with Mike G. in the past, but we all have to give the guy credit in his equipment designs. I like the features, and the wiring compartment. I have yet to find a wiring compartment that I like, but this looks promising. Warranty is the same if not better than the competition. Could do without the half a volt increments.

Billy, stick to your guns, look what everyone put Evening Star (ChampionLS) through. Not that I am endorsing his product, but some here have actually installed it with great sucess after all the bashing.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Pro-Scapes
01-15-2008, 06:49 PM
thanks Burt. I think Guys are missing the fact I have no guns. I was simply showing something new and exciting thats out there and 2 guys go getting ther panties in a wad over it. I never once said BUY THIS TRANS AND BUY IT NOW!!! nor did I say I was going into the trans business.

Seems alot of manufactures have leaned twoards smaller is better. Sorry but if your going to make it smaller dont make it a pita.

Eden thanks for the tip on the switches. I just had 6 upb recepticals placed in remote beds to control some led strings and now i gotta pray they hold up. I think I will go silicone all the covers up good just to be sure.

pete scalia
01-15-2008, 08:56 PM
thanks Burt. I think Guys are missing the fact I have no guns. I was simply showing something new and exciting thats out there and 2 guys go getting ther panties in a wad over it. I never once said BUY THIS TRANS AND BUY IT NOW!!! nor did I say I was going into the trans business.

Seems alot of manufactures have leaned twoards smaller is better. Sorry but if your going to make it smaller dont make it a pita.

Eden thanks for the tip on the switches. I just had 6 upb recepticals placed in remote beds to control some led strings and now i gotta pray they hold up. I think I will go silicone all the covers up good just to be sure.

I'm going to try this transformer out myself. I like what I see here and appreciate your introducing it to us Billy. If it does what you say it does and the price and warranty is competitive then it sounds like a winner. Don't let it get too you about the guys who are getting their panties in a bunch. I know your intentions are good.

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm going to try this transformer out myself. I like what I see here and appreciate your introducing it to us Billy. If it does what you say it does and the price and warranty is competitive then it sounds like a winner. Don't let it get too you about the guys who are getting their panties in a bunch. I know your intentions are good.

Im still a bit miffed. I always considered myself a helpful member of this fourum. I know i dont have 300 years of experience like some of you guys but I do consider myself to be great at what I do. I learned alot from alot of you guys and I am trying to pass that on as I can. I guess I should of just kept this all to myself instead of showing an innovation in the industry and showing others there is a solution out there. By showing this in semi public Im sure its only a matter of time before its knocked off. Mdl nor justin were interested in making this unit.

NightScenes
01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I've been having issues with the Kichler 900 and 1200 units myself. This transformer looks interesting and now I know why Mr. G decided to go to the AOLP conference this year.

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I've been having issues with the Kichler 900 and 1200 units myself. This transformer looks interesting and now I know why Mr. G decided to go to the AOLP conference this year.

rest assure paul I had nothing to do with him deciding to go to aolp. MDL used to be wonderful and rock solid for us. Just seems to me the quality control has tanked a bit. Now that i dont have a local stocking dist swapping out tranformers becomes even more expensive and entails downtime.

JoeyD
01-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Im still a bit miffed. I always considered myself a helpful member of this fourum. I know i dont have 300 years of experience like some of you guys but I do consider myself to be great at what I do. I learned alot from alot of you guys and I am trying to pass that on as I can. I guess I should of just kept this all to myself instead of showing an innovation in the industry and showing others there is a solution out there. By showing this in semi public Im sure its only a matter of time before its knocked off. Mdl nor justin were interested in making this unit.

Welcome to my world Billy!!!

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Welcome to my world Billy!!!

yeah i guess so. I just let it get to me personally. If people wanna throw stones thats fine... batter up!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Billy. I dont understand why you are miffed. I think what is going on here is a bunch of people asking questions about this new unit and some others who are trying to offer you suggestions as to how you might increase its market exposure.

What did you expect to happen?

Please dont get jaded by a bunch of passionate pros asking questions, debating qualities and offering suggestions....

Regards.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-16-2008, 11:59 AM

I can tell you for certain that this transformer will not be the only one revealed at the conference. :)

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 12:04 PM
we all know vista has a new toy out too. Is that the one your speaking of ?

If so I hope they addressed the teeny tiny lugs they had.

Im not jaded by anyone. Just seems as soon as I answered questions about some things some people imediatly looked for another fault. Why dont they find some faults in their current units. Just about every unit on the market has a shortfall in some place. If someone has the absolute perfect trans I would love to know what it is and where I can get it.

Lite4
01-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Mike Gs looked near perfect to me. I heard Vista is retooling the lugs especially in their new trans. Beyond that I don't know what else. Man I sure wish I could get to the show this year. Oh well, I am sure lawnsite will be all lit up with a flurry of activity about products after you all get back.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Nope I am not talking about the Vista Transformer...

It is something entirely new.

Aren't surprises grand?

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Out with it james... you guys busted me up for all the secrets

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Sorry Billy, I cannot do that. I promised I would not. I am only allowed to pique interest, not reveal any facts (of which I have very few, other then there will be a product launch there)

Don't get too worked up about it... its not like a fuel cell fixture or a nuclear fusion transformer or anything! :)

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 12:47 PM
great be sure to get me some pics and info.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-16-2008, 12:51 PM
great be sure to get me some pics and info.

I promise you I will Billy. I will take my camera and ensure I have web access and as soon as I see what the deal is, I will forward it onto you here.

That is the best I can offer.

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 01:02 PM
sounds great thanks

NightLightingFX
02-09-2008, 05:14 PM
James,
Was AOLP's conference Q-Tran's product launch? Now Q-Tran's transformer is the BOMB! If cost wasn't a factor I would use their wire and transformer for evey install. I was impressed by their presentation.
~Ned

Go Halogen
02-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Guys,

I am out of the loop on this one. What is Vista coming out with?
A new type of transformer? I had heard that they will be redesigning
model, but something new??

Yes, bigger lugs would be really nice too.

-Andy

Lite4
02-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Andy,
I just spoke to my Vista rep about their new trannys a couple of days ago. He said they are still in production but should be out very soon. they will definitely have bigger and deeper lugs. Not sure about anything beyond that though. I am looking forward to getting my hands on Gambinos tranny though. That thing has just about all the features I could want.

Pro-Scapes
02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
you cannot appreciate that unit until you have it in your hands. It really is amazing no one came up with it sooner after hearing years of gripes about wiring room and contols not fitting well.

SamIV
02-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I am not saying this just because he (Billy) is sitting in the room next to me, but this is the coolist trans (Gambino) I have ever seen. The wiring compartment alone is the kicker. I am very particular to a MDL style trans, and this thing puts the BAM in MDL. Pricing for now is right on for a product such as this. Got to get your hand on one.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 08:57 PM
So this new Mike G. transformer. Is it something that we will be able to purchase directly from 3able by quoting a part number or do we have to contact Mike Gambino or Billy directly for it?

I would like to get one for testing and assessment here.

Thanks.

Pro-Scapes
02-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Its being made exclusivly for the Gambino line. You would need to purchase one from Mike G but I am unsure about the international shipment and how all that works. I am unsure he is exporting them at this time. I am not a distributor of these.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks Billy

Exporting isnt really any magic. You just put it on a carrier like any other shipment. It is my end where the hassle is.

Then there are approvals. It would have to be ULc or CSA approved. (cETL and ARLc work as long as they have tested it to the proper CSA or UL1838 standards)

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
02-11-2008, 11:15 PM
for thoes asking for close ups you can see the gambino in action here.

http://gambinolighting.com/pdf_articles/Gambino-watershapes.pdf

Also an excellent read as usual.

pete scalia
02-12-2008, 11:26 PM
for thoes asking for close ups you can see the gambino in action here.

http://gambinolighting.com/pdf_articles/Gambino-watershapes.pdf

Also an excellent read as usual.

That's a good article with some interesting insight into the technicals of building a lighting system. Thanks for posting it Billy.

Eden Lights
02-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks for posting the article. I think the biggest Revelation for me about what Gambino is doing is, the main line to fixture wiring topology, the Gambino Hub if you will. This makes alot more since of why he wanted a .5 increment transformer among the obvious reasons.

Pro-Scapes
02-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks for posting the article. I think the biggest Revelation for me about what Gambino is doing is, the main line to fixture wiring topology, the Gambino Hub if you will. This makes alot more since of why he wanted a .5 increment transformer among the obvious reasons.

Keep in mind this trans puts out about 8 tenths of a volt over the rated output until it is loaded. Then it will fall in exactly where it is supposed to be.

pete scalia
02-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Keep in mind this trans puts out about 8 tenths of a volt over the rated output until it is loaded. Then it will fall in exactly where it is supposed to be.

the better transformers take into consideration anticipated voltage drop.

JoeyD
02-13-2008, 04:01 PM
We do the same thing to anticipate VD in our units....Nice article Mike G.!!

Pro-Scapes
03-22-2008, 11:15 PM
someone had PM'ed me and asked me just how the UPB switches go in this trans. Here are some photos of a simply automated switch going in.

first we have the transformer bone stock.

The second photo shows the line voltage compartment open.

Note you can still use a plug in timer or control mod. There is also a knockout on the side of the line voltage compartment if your still into photocells.

Pro-Scapes
03-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Here is the switch wired in place followed by the completed installation. It takes about 3-5 minutes on your work bench before you even leave for the job. Another big advantage to this is the lights do not snap on and off. They instead fade in and fade out softly decreasing the chance of popped lamps on start up and greatly reducing inrush problems. Lets not forget the controllability and reliability of a UPB controlled system.

The trans comes with the Black (hot) and Red (load) wire nutted together. You undo this nut and connect your hot to the switch and red to the load side of the switch then off course connect the white nuetrals. You then place the rocker switch in the "controlled" position to enable your UPB switch. For service or diagnostics you can easily toggle it to "bypass" to get a direct hot connection.

pete scalia
03-22-2008, 11:20 PM
someone had PM'ed me and asked me just how the UPB switches go in this trans. Here are some photos of a simply automated switch going in.

first we have the transformer bone stock.

The second photo shows the line voltage compartment open.

What is this a photo of. It's dark and hard to figure out what is going on there. What good is a horizontal switch?. Aren't switches usually north south positioned, not east west?

pete scalia
03-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok I see it now. I posted before the long shot

Pro-Scapes
03-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Sorry I didnt think I would need to rotate the pictures. If you cant figure out what your looking at chances are you probably should not be wiring this up :)

The pics are not dark on my computer.

irrig8r
03-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Interesting pictures Billy. What do the blue-blue-green LEDs on the right indicate?

Is there a manual or brochure explaining all the features.... like maybe in PDF form on yours or Gambino's website?

Pro-Scapes
03-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Gregg, The green led indicates line voltage is active to the core.

The blue LED's indicate the secondary side is on. There is 1 blue led per common so 1 on a 300w box and 2 on a 600w box. You cannot see it in the pictures but the simply automated switch also has an led on it which changes from blue to green depending on if it is on or off. In upstart I set my fade time to 3.3 seconds so it takes that long to go from zero to full voltage.

You would have to email Mike on the PDF. I have a hard copy here that comes with the transformers but I am not one of thoes guys who reads the instructions much unless I am unable to figure it out.

JoeyD
03-24-2008, 12:43 PM
very cool looking!!