PDA

View Full Version : 36" toro mod.

scottt
10-22-2001, 10:28 PM
I know it is not a problem on larger decks, but on a 36" the front of my walkbehind kept bouncing on uneven lawns and would fly up when I started in 3rd of 4th gear. To fix this problem, I welded a bracket on my sulky and on the toro just above the transmission and installed a shock absorber on it. I got a shock from a late model chevy pickup at a salvage for $10. I used removable pins to hold the shock to the brackets so it removes in just a few seconds. The only problem is I can only use 3rd and 4th gear with the shock on. This is because it blocks the gear selector. I don't use reverse or 1st or 2nd anyways. It allows me to go full speed all the time now even on bumpy yards. Total cost: $18

jnjnlc
10-22-2001, 11:05 PM
Hey Scott, thanks for the idea. I have a 33" Craftsman (same as Troy Built) that I have put a sulky onto. I have the same problem with the frount end bouncing off of the ground. I have added some weight to combat the problem but the front is now to heavy. I may try your mod on my mower.

By the way any dealer will tell you that you can not put a sulky on this mower. I am going to take pics and post them so all can see that you can. It is a little tricky on hills though.

Thanks

scottt
10-22-2001, 11:19 PM
I tried adding weight to the front of the mower but it scalped more and is much easier to get on the trailer with the shock. I can go full speed up my gate and I don't have to push the deck up or hold it down or anything, just go. It's fun doing a wheelie up the gate at full speed. The landing is really soft too.

Flex-Deck
10-25-2001, 12:46 AM
Check out the Flex-Deck Manufactures forum with what "casey and Dochere" have said and seen. We are looking for input as to what is needed out there and who will work with us.