PDA

View Full Version : Used Link Belt value

allinearth
01-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Help me out cause I have never messed with a track hoe this size. Looking at a 1994 Link Belt LS2650 c series II. Owner says its a 35k machine. Has 6,600 hrs currently. Didn't see any obvious leaks or problems. It does have some play in the bucket pins. How many hours is too many for this size machine? It has been used mainly for loading trucks at a dirt pit. So...What's it worth?

oakhillslandscaping
01-11-2008, 08:54 PM
i have almost that same machine, payed 30,000 for ours but ours had 3k and came with a power tilt wrist and two buckets, the one your looking at could go from 21,000-25,000 but thats going rate around here my .02 cents hope it helps

bobcat_ron
01-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Some of the older LB's had swing bearing issues.

allinearth
01-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I meant to say it is a 35k pound machine not $. How can I check the swing bearing?

Scag48
01-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Swing bearings were an issue for some of the older LB's, at least from what I've heard from a close friend of mine and others. I have a friend who had 2 Link Belts, both in the 94-97 range, one was a 70 size machine the other was a 120 and both had swing bearing issues before 6,000 hours.

To check, roll the stick all the way out and stretch the machine, then swing it. Make sure there are no grinding noises, clanks, the house should stop smoothly with no noises or abruptions. Also, make sure when you do stop the swing brake is working properly, if the house swings too far after you let go of the stick, the swing brake might be on it's way out. Another way to tell is look on the carbody below the house base and check for leaks. The bearings are supposed to be packed and sealed but we all know how grease can heat up and drip out if the seals are toast.

Gravel Rat
01-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Oh your going to tell if the machine has a worn out rotex and swing bearings.The machine will flop around it will feel like your on a carnival ride :laugh:

bobcat_ron
01-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah or it self levels the house on side slopes.....

oakhillslandscaping
01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
i have a little play in mine i kno that for a fact, havent decided what im going to do about it but, i thought i would post a pic of mine, i think they should look almost identical

Scag48
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Nice machine, I really like the look of Link Belts and they seem to be solid machines aside from the swing bearing stuff. Whenever I talk to someone about the swing bearing issue with LB's, everyone gets defensive and pretends it doesn't exist. From what I can gather, most, if not all, Link Belt excavators will develop premature swing bearing failure when compared to other brands. I've seen many a Komatsu, Cat, and Deere with 10,000 hours or more on the swing bearings with no problems. All of the excavators I've personally seen with 10,000 hours or more were owned by people I personally knew, I would always ask them what kinds of things they've had to do to the machine and swing bearings were never on that list.

ksss
01-12-2008, 03:53 PM
My machine is tight so far. Maybe the bearing has been replaced already, it has over 8K on it. The Sumitomo excavator is really a great machine.

allinearth
01-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Looks about the same as the pic except the corners on the sheet metal are more square not rounded. Does that mean it is older than 94. I ran it a very small amount. It didn't stop on a dime but the play also didn't seem super excessive. Really don't know what it should feel like though. Only experience is with cat mini x. While doing research thought I read where Link Belt was same as Case and New Holland. True? Does that mean parts are transferable? If swing bearing does go out I am assuming that is a major repair? I looked under and around the turntable. There was grease coming out but it wasn't dripping everywhere, figured that was normal. There was slight oil around the left joystick control. Keep them coming, I am hungry to learn about these. Guess it is time to learn about the big toys.

GradeMan
01-12-2008, 05:36 PM
alot of excavators use the same parts, I thought link belts were famous for bad track motors? Anyways pretty well any excavator 1990 and up should bring 20,000 as long as they are operational.

wanabe
01-12-2008, 05:43 PM
If the sheat metal is more square, then I think it is probably the same as a 9020 Case. The pic posted earlier looks like the case B series(9020B I think) is the case model that is the same. Other than the motor, they are pretty much the same as the case model. And some grease around the swing bearing is normal.

ksss
01-12-2008, 06:10 PM
The machines are the same minus the engines. Case used Cummins and Linkbelt used Isuzu. The New Hollands are not Sumitomo nor have they ever been. They used O&K for a while and now Kobleco.

Fieldman12
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I like the looks of the Link Belt machines. I see a few of them around in my area and starting to see more and more of the Case/Link Belt Sumitomo machines. Not sure if I like the Kobelco track hoes or not. They had one digging our basement that had to be welded all the time at the boom base by the cab.

allinearth
01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Any more input?

oakhillslandscaping
01-14-2008, 09:50 PM
overall great machine, gets in to tighter spaces then you would think, i highly recommend a wrist and spade bucket if budget permits, just makes it that much more versital, that isuzu diesel is ingredibly quite and powerful, little tippy of the side with a full 4ft bucket but will hold a standard bucket full any time of the day. but great "semi mid sized" machine