PDA

View Full Version : irritation systems

Mike M
01-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Just curious about others' set-back stories.

Today I was well above an irrigation main when it busted at the joint from the pressure of me trenching over it. Visualize two paralell pvc lines, one at a T where the joint split, line voltage 1 inch below surface, line voltage again under one of the mains, a burried valve box (lid 3 inches below surface), valve wires outside of box, no wire nuts--bare wires twisted together, another pvc pipe alongside the one splitting off from the T, and worst of all, huge roots from a nearby pine tree wrapped around everything. Oh yeah, and metal edging intersecting across the whole thing.

Including trip to irrigation distributor, took me no less than 4 hours to dig it all out and fix it, including stacking two more irrigation boxes on end to bring the lid to the surface.

Lite4
01-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a very expensive sales call. I am sure you made it profitable.

Mike M
01-11-2008, 10:23 PM
That was in the middle of my install. Hard to explain the scenario to the customer without just holding myself accountible and fixing up the area of impact.

Chris J
01-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Been there, done that. My philosophy is: you break it, you fix it. Sucks! I had a guy working with me last summer who leaned against the pool equipment and 2"feed lines while burying wires near the transformer. The main coupling {thing} snapped, and water started gushing 70' high in a 270 degree radius. What a massive cluster. There was so much water, I couldn't even find the valve to shut it off. I finally had to shut the power to the pump down, and then it took me a week to receive the replacement parts. Bad install!

Lite4
01-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. Hard to take that one in the shorts.

Mike M
01-11-2008, 11:16 PM
2"feed lines

OMG couldn't those kill someone? :laugh:

The hole I had to dig today looked like I was burying a big dog. I had so many pvc fittings in there I was afraid to turn the water back on.

Also today, my helper somehow had my Ideal/Cast strippers fall apart in use, and we couldn't find the little nuts that keep them together. Have to go back monday now to finish up, and my back-up strippers suck arse. (can't work in that community on Sat).

ChampionLS
01-12-2008, 01:52 AM

Today I was well above an irrigation main when it busted at the joint from the pressure of me trenching over it. Visualize two paralell pvc lines, one at a T where the joint split, line voltage 1 inch below surface, line voltage again under one of the mains, a burried valve box (lid 3 inches below surface), valve wires outside of box, no wire nuts--bare wires twisted together, another pvc pipe alongside the one splitting off from the T, and worst of all, huge roots from a nearby pine tree wrapped around everything. Oh yeah, and metal edging intersecting across the whole thing.

Including trip to irrigation distributor, took me no less than 4 hours to dig it all out and fix it, including stacking two more irrigation boxes on end to bring the lid to the surface.

Do you need MIKE to help you? hahaha :laugh:

Mike M
01-12-2008, 08:00 AM
:laugh:

My forearms have permanent tar/dirt stains from the pine tree.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Mike... Would you like to know a very old and very effective way to get Pine Tar / Pitch off of your skin? If so, please join my "Tree Jockey" forum located at.....

Just Kidding, the most effective way to remove pine tar and pitch from you skin is to use butter. Simply put a teaspoon or so of butter between your palms, rub and then spread on the affected area. The pine tar comes right off... remember to was with soap and water before tanning!

Pro-Scapes
01-12-2008, 11:41 AM
2"feed lines

OMG couldn't those kill someone? :laugh:

The hole I had to dig today looked like I was burying a big dog. I had so many pvc fittings in there I was afraid to turn the water back on.

Also today, my helper somehow had my Ideal/Cast strippers fall apart in use, and we couldn't find the little nuts that keep them together. Have to go back monday now to finish up, and my back-up strippers suck arse. (can't work in that community on Sat).

Mike you gotta watch the nuts on the ideal stripmasters from all the popping they will work loose. put a SMALL and I mean small ddab of loctite on the nuts to help some but you need to clean thoes and make sure all is tight often.

We have all at one time or another busted an irrigation pipe... cut an irrigation wire...cut a cable tv or phone lead.

Carry some small dryconns with you and a section of irritation wire... a bucket full of pvc parts and glue sometimes comes in handy

Mike M
01-12-2008, 05:58 PM
James, butter?? Yuck. I hate butter on me. I hate all grease. :laugh:

Billy, I've been repairing the easy funny pipe and pvc straight pipes, but that job really sucked. Cracked at the joint of a t, right next to a valve, two different sizes of pvc, and no room to do anything with the massive roots, two line voltage runs, and two sets of parallel pvc pipes. I have dirt so deep under my nails, it'll be there for a year. The pine tar was almost up to my arm pits.

James, I can field dress a deer but I make my wife take the butter out of the wrapper.

Mike M
01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah Billy, thanks for the Cast/Ideal wire stripper tip. I had bought a handful of little lockwashers and nuts today. I'll keep them in my glove compartment.

ChampionLS
01-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Was it Gray PVC? The old stuff is schedule 20. Very thin wall. I've seen both white and gray schedule 20. I really like the new style manifolds- no more piggy back gluing of the Toro ones. The new ones are all male/female quick coupling with a union joint right to the valve.

pete scalia
01-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Momma said their'd be days like this, their'd be days like this, my Momma said. Momma said Momma said.

klkanders
01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
:laugh:Momma said their'd be days like this, their'd be days like this, my Momma said. Momma said Momma said.

:laugh: