PDA

View Full Version : cat 242

CAG
01-12-2008, 11:36 AM
I was looking to get some feedback on this model skid steer. i think its a 2001 but not positive, but its definitely not a b model.. i cant find any specs on this machine just the b model so any input would be great.. the machine has 800hrs and is in really good shape with cab heat.. i will be using it to load sand/salt in my own trucks, light snow work, pallets of block here and their, loading my hydroseeder on trailer, and general landscaping. i will also get a pickup broom sweeper because we have a lot of parking lots to sweep and the 3 point hitch broom is getting old.. this model does not have a turbo and I'm wondering if that something i might regret. they are asking 17k but i think i can probably pick it up for 15-16k.. thanks chris

Scag48
01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
We had a 242 on rent for a couple weeks while our 216 was getting some kinks worked out once. I didn't like the machine, I think it has a 58 or 56 horse engine, somewhere around there, I'm pretty sure it's less than 60 but it's more than our 216 has which is 48. Needless to say, that machine needs more displacement plus a turbo, it came with neither. Slow, sluggish, big(ger) machine considering what it's rated for, wasn't really impressed with it at all and was glad when we got our 216 back. The vertical lift visibility isn't very good either, but if you're loading trucks you need it so what can ya do? I believe there are much better machines than the 242, however the A-series machines are pretty reliable, we had a couple issues with our 216 concerning the cooling system for the first 6 months, after that we haven't had a single problem.

allinearth
01-12-2008, 04:43 PM
I own a 242b and I have not been impressed. Like skag said it is a little sluggish. seems like it needs more hp and mine is a turbo. When the going gets tough I have to really gas it to get er done. Break out force is not good. Visibility not good. With that being said I would buy one for loading if I could get a great deal on it. I have decided to mostly leave mine at the shop for loading mulch moving trees etc and leave the real work in the field to the Cases. I ran a 252b and it seem much more powerful and capable.

ksss
01-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I own a 242b and I have not been impressed. Like skag said it is a little sluggish. seems like it needs more hp and mine is a turbo. When the going gets tough I have to really gas it to get er done. Break out force is not good. Visibility not good. With that being said I would buy one for loading if I could get a great deal on it. I have decided to mostly leave mine at the shop for loading mulch moving trees etc and leave the real work in the field to the Cases. I ran a 252b and it seem much more powerful and capable.

How are you getting along with the 440?

allinearth
01-12-2008, 05:26 PM
So far I really like the 44o. Only got 8 hrs on it and haven't done any hard work with it yet but here is what I noticed so far...Like the lower stance and seat. Visibility is beautiful. I can look out the side and see the tire hitting the ground. Love the low rpm rumble of the cummins.(I guess that is what it is). When I punched it into a pile of dirt the breakout raised the rear end. Now that is what I'm talking about. Not like the Cat flipping the press relief and having to back out and then hope it will raise up. Don't like the gas pedal as much as cat. Unloaded a truck of pallets of stone weighing about a ton each and while it did the job adequately, it felt a little lite in the rear a few times. I think the vts will take care of that though. It will take some time for me to fully know the capability but for now I am satisfied. Oh and at first I thought I was in trouble with the controls but didn't take long and I am pretty comfortable. Others that have used it seemed to adapt pretty wel also. Got some pics with stock tires and plan on putting the vts on after the next rain. Will take more pick and I promise I'll post em. How's that for a hijackin.:waving: