PDA

View Full Version : I caught a thief last night!!

Lawn Dog2001
10-24-2001, 07:04 PM
Last night some idiot tried to rob my trailor while I was sitting on my porch. My truck and trailor were parked directly in front of my house, across the street. There is no street lights so he could not see me, but I saw him. I watched this jerk walk past my trailor three times. Then a car pulled up and parked a little bit down the road with his lights off. This guy then walked over, inbetween the truck and trailor and started to pull my tarp up. I screamed hey, what the hell are you doing? He shouted back that he dropped something, as he sprinted to his car dove in and sped off. Funny, I wonder how he managed to drop something in my tarped up trailor at 11:30 at night. I called the police as soon as I could get to the phone. I had a good description of the car but no plate. I doubt they catch the a-hole. Just a reminder to all to be careful!!!

mdb landscaping
10-24-2001, 07:15 PM
you shoulve called the cops not letting him know you were there, that way he wouldve been caught in the act. was he trying to steal a piece of equipment, or the trailer itself? that takes guts to try and steal the trailer.

wallzwallz
10-24-2001, 07:18 PM
you park your trailer across the street from your house?

MuskTurfKing
10-24-2001, 07:29 PM
I'd probably get mad and bust out with citizen's arrest. :p I hate low life losers that steal for a living. Should of beat him down.

Hank

Lawn Dog2001
10-24-2001, 07:29 PM
I dont really know what he was going to take. I waited untill the second he touched the trailor to speak up. I soon as he realized I was there he took off.

Yes I park accross the street. I live in a very small town where everybody knows everybody. I was never really concerned about theives untill last night. I run a thick chain through all my equipment, attached to the trailor with a brass padlock. Plus I have a Trimmer Trap rack that is padlocked seperately. I also tarp the trailor over every night. I feel its pretty secure.

awm
10-24-2001, 07:53 PM
i envy u your catching him, i could be so lucky. i just plain dont have any tolerance for that type.and i have thru the yrs tolerated a lot. but not a thief. my sweat comes to hard.
glad they didnt get youy stuff. by the way im sorry to say i use to know some ,and the way they think they may try again.
i better explain . the reason i dont know them any more is because they kept bringing stolen stuff around my familyand i finally told them to get in the wind,which went over like a lead balloon.
that gang had me more afraid than ive ever been in my life.
u didnt fight one u fought the pack.finally turned out alright tho ,i didnt kill nobody an they didnt kill me.but it was close both ways

LoneStarLawn
10-24-2001, 08:02 PM
That guy got off lucky.

I think I would have waited until he really did something stupid (like enter my truck) and then I would have pulled a gun on him to give him a scare of his life. Yes it is legal here it Texas since he would be setting foot on your property (the truck) and attempting to commit a crime.

JB1
10-24-2001, 08:19 PM
semi- automatic paintball gun.

KDJ
10-24-2001, 08:21 PM
Rock salt works well.

Richard Martin
10-24-2001, 08:27 PM
Lawn Dog2001 wrote:
I run a thick chain through all my equipment, attached to the trailor with a brass padlock. Plus I have a Trimmer Trap rack that is padlocked seperately. I also tarp the trailor over every night. I feel its pretty secure.

You shouldn't feel it is secure. The TrimmerTrap can be opened in about 2 seconds without cutting the lock and any bolt cutter can go through your brass padlock like it was made of butter. If you want to feel secure bring the trimmers and other small stuff inside every night, replace the brass lock with the biggest, baddest case hardened lock that will fit through the links and put kill switches on all of your mowers. This wouldn't stop a very determined professional thief but it would darn sure slow them down and might make them create too much noise to complete the deed.

Lawn Dog2001
10-24-2001, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I see what you are saying Richard. But it really is fairly secure. Lets face it. If someone is determined to take something, they are going to. Its not really going to matter what kind of set up you have. Im not really to concerned about my wbs. In order for someone to steal those they would have to lower the ramp, remove the tarp, cut the chain, and then pull out the machines without anyone hearing. Thats a pretty tall task. Part of the reason I bought my Trimmer Trap is because I thought it was a pretty secure set up. The machines I have that are most at risk are my 21's and my blowers. I think I will take your advice about bring in the small stuff in at night. I used to do that, but I got lazy over the years. This has definately woke me up a little bit.

GrassChopper
10-24-2001, 08:53 PM
About a month ago, someone broke into my truck, took a PDA, cigarettes, a knife, some change and my cd's.

Two weeks ago, someone took two echo edgers from my LOCKED racks.

Yesterday, someone took a new spool of Echo trimmer line from my toolbox.

Wait until I catch these futher muckers. I have set up a video camera that points out the window to my truck.

kutnkru
10-24-2001, 09:57 PM
If you really wanted to get the point across BlAsT his ( I ) with a spud gun!!!

LOL!!!
Kris

cp
10-24-2001, 10:27 PM
You don't need the license plate number if the back glass has been blown out with a shotgun.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest...

Chris

leeslawncare
10-24-2001, 11:02 PM
357-8" barell..... let GOD sort out the crime!!!

lawnMaster5000
10-24-2001, 11:16 PM
Glad to hear you caught the guy, but I would like to tell a little story here to help everyone understand just how easy it is to take anything you want from anyone.

First of all - do you have anyone that works for you?
- do those people ever have access to the equipment - well of course they do.
- do your neighbors (store equipment at residence) ever see the employees around your home or equipment - I would assume this is again yes.

Now think about all that and read on.

About five years ago I started working for this company. There were about 10 part timers and 3 full timers. My boss stored 90% of equipment in remote storage facility but there were still things we needed from around his house.
At times we would have to "break" into the house via unlocked windows or crawling under semi open garage door etc. The neighbors saw this and never gave it a second thought, without having a clue who was the stranger climbing into the house thru the window. (we were not always supposed to be there - it was a nice house :))
Occasionally at night I would be given permission to use his truck for various things, so I would come and take the truck - again neighbors watching, but saying nothing to me.

Over the last two years the company has broken apart and was sold off, but I have remained friends with the X-boss. I now have my own key to the house and shed on property, but I still donít understand how people watch me get stuff out of the house/shed put it into my truck and drive away - they donít even think about saying anything to me.

Not that the neighbors are bad or we have led them to expect these activities on the property, its just that if you totally act like you know what you are doing you can get anything.

I would almost bet that I could walk into about half of the houses in my subdivision, take something, and leave without them knowing. Given there are kids or something that normally makes noise.

Another example would be one night my friend locked his keys into his car, so its like 2 am and we are standing in the street trying to "break" into his car. Two separate cops drive by without slowing down. - It looked like we were supposed to be there.

So I guess let your neighbors and everyone else know if there is someone that has rights to your stuff, and if not make sure they know that as well. - About two weeks ago I had a brand new BP Blower stolen, we are assuming it was done in daylight by someone that walked into my open garage and walked off with it. Just be careful.

FerrisDJB
10-25-2001, 01:28 AM
The best protection will always be under lock and key...shed garage, etc. If you store some stuff outside leave it on your trailer and set a motion detector up on the underside of the trailer bed. Also secure the hitch so it can't be used as well. If you can get man's best friend because no matter what they'l serve you well and won't ask for much!!! Insurance is a must as well. Good luck.

deason
10-25-2001, 01:39 AM
If you really wanted to get the point across BlAsT his ( I ) with a spud gun!!!

Hey Kutnkru!!!!! I'll bet ther aint many here that know what that is! But i'll grant you this one thing, If you hit him with it he wouldnt move for a while.:D

Island Lawn
10-25-2001, 01:56 AM
Oh my.
Now I see it!

( I )

:eek:

hehehe

ERIC ROBERGE
10-25-2001, 05:42 AM
If you had a slingshot you could of shot him 3 or 4 times and he would of never known you were there. With the right rubber bands surgery would have been required to remove whatever you shot at them. A stack of washers would have done a number on his car also.
The nice thing about a slingshot is it doesnt attract attention like a firearm does. I belive it is legal anywhere. And in states where you can be arrested for possesing a firearm , you can posses a slingshot.

KerryB
10-25-2001, 10:06 AM
Face it guys, locks where made to keep honest people out.

We have problems here with crack heads. They steal your equipment and trade it for rocks. The cops busted a dealer last week, he had a brand new storage building paid for by the profits of his little business and it was full of blowers, trimmers, hedge trimmers , everything but a ztr. lol
I saw a guy at the supply co yesterday, he was buying 4 new still hedge trimmers to replace the 4 he bought the week before, they had been stolen.
You should watch out for this guy he will be back to try again. You have to lock them up or inflict severe pain or they seem to act like boomerangs.

Lawn Dog2001
10-25-2001, 03:12 PM
Can you belive this moron stole my 5 gallon gas can full of gas. I am now officialy pissed! I did not work yesterday because we have been slow. I thought I had accounted for everything untill this morning when my TroyBilt 33 ran out of gas. I went for the gas can and guess what......Its gone. If I ever find the little
f@#$%^s who did this I will use that gasoline to set them on fire.:angry: